Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Goggles Anyone???

Indycars

I'm curious if anyone wears goggles like the one below. I have a car with no top and therefore I get lots of wind in my face. I'm having such a hard time seeing that I can't even watch TV or read a book right now.

I thought it was all that air in my face so I bought goggles, but it did help my problem. But one thing is for sure, it is really nice having goggles. My wife had to have her own pair of goggles it was so much better after she tried mine.

The first pair are really good for glasses that are somewhat on the larger side.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU3EB6...lid=2YFIUJ8JWFA6F&coliid=I22ENGF6KKFMCL&psc=1

Goggles02.jpg

The googles below look better I think, plus they come with both clear and tinted lenses. If you have to get just one lens I would go with the tinted ones, it not terribly different at night than the clears.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MS8GP6...UTF8&colid=2YFIUJ8JWFA6F&coliid=IU1I46EW855Q6Goggles01.jpg
So what are the rest of you guys doing, are you wearing goggles and looking super cool, just like me!!! hehehe !!!:roflmao:

I just use my regular wraparound style sunglasses during the day and either clear or yellow tinted safety glasses at night. I like the yellow tinted ones at dusk as they brighten things up some. I did try motorcycle goggles, but they would fog up or get uncomfortable for me.

I'm planning on goggles if/when I get that far. For my car they will be mandatory, since there will be no formal windshield...only a pair of Brooklands screens. Since my car will be sort of a post WW II T modified theme, I hope to find goggles that would look good with a WW II vintage looking leather aviator hat/helmet...and works well with glasses. I'm really liking the idea of one of those helmets with a 2-way radio headset for road trips, and a neck flap for sun. I already have a nice bomber jacket for cool weather, and I'm considering faux bomber jacket upholstery for my seat.

I don't need goggles, my windshield is high enough .I'am setting below the top of the windshield

I did try motorcycle goggles, but they would fog up or get uncomfortable for me.
So far I've worn them for a 60 minute stint and I'm not hurting or fogging up. But then the fog may depend on the time of year.

I hope to find goggles that would look good with a WW II vintage looking leather aviator hat/helmet...and works well with glasses.

Amazon might have what you're looking for. When you click on the link there
will also be goggles if you page down.

For some reason the link would not paste correctly, so just search on the product title......
WWII Replica Vintage Brown Leather Aviator Pilot Helmet Cap M/L

LeatherCap.JPG

Again my wife said last night that she really liked goggles and would never ride
again without them. So we are sold on them for sure!

I don't need goggles, my windshield is high enough .I'am setting below the top of the windshield
I had the full original windshield like yours at one time, but that has changed to a
one piece, 15° laid back windshield.

GOOD wraparound sunglasses w/ good optics work real well. Be sure when you're looking at glasses that the optics are good out of sides , you'd be amazed at how much you're looking out the sides...a good tight -fitting ball cap really reduces glare.as well..
dave

My windshield is low and like Ben we use wraparound sun glasses and they work fine for both my wife and I. For night driving we have clear wraparound glasses that we got at a Harley dealership.

Jim

Amazon might have what you're looking for. When you click on the link there
will also be goggles if you page down.

For some reason the link would not paste correctly, so just search on the product title......
WWII Replica Vintage Brown Leather Aviator Pilot Helmet Cap M/L

View attachment 11688

Again my wife said last night that she really liked goggles and would never ride
again without them. So we are sold on them for sure!

Thanks. I'll save that for when the time comes.

My windshield is 9 1/2" so I look out over a little bit. I use Aviator sunglasses at the moment and they work fine 99% of the time.
Clear safety glasses at night. (Gotta check out the yellow tints now! LoL)
I DO keep tinted goggles on board though and did need to use them on the highway once, as I couldn't keep my Toque on...let alone regular glasses! :cool:
I'm just using cheap ol' goggles from Princess Auto and I'd love to find some cool vintage style ones instead...but what I have does work.
There is an additional good thing about goggles.
The strap will hold a beanie etc in place in windy conditions. Even if you just place them on your forehead and use higher quality sunglasses to look thru...the goggles still suit the job as a hat retainer without looking out of place...and you can leave the duct tape home! o_O LoL

Safety glasses are much more comfortable, cheaper, and look better (unless you're going for the aviator look). I get them free at work, but they're cheap at any safety supply store. I keep an extra in the car for passengers. They're individually bagged, so when you tear the bag open, you have perfect new lenses. Also keep a spare cap with a lanyard that gives a real sporty look without going full aviator.

I buy snow goggles on eBay. Clear, tint, mirror; you name it. Much cheaper there than at the chalet. And they won't fog. I wear them if I'm gonna be going over 30mph. Also have a biker's leather cap, a couple of balaclavas (skiers hoods) and a full helmet for the long trips...a bug at 60mph really stings.

And of course these WWII aviator glasses are just too cool:
wwii%252520aviator%252520goggles.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a selfie at speed while cruising around. Don't we look like some of
the beautiful people of this world. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Goggles03.JPG

If the decision is made to wear goggles, choose carefully. Some designs will severely lessen your peripheral vision. Test them with your hand beside your face with and without the goggles.

I use the riding glasses from my Harley days. Check out Wiley X climate control motorcycle glasses....interchangeable lenses, prescription compatible frames, gasket system to seal out wind and dust. Personally tested to well over 100 mph with NO windshield. :eek: I don't do that anymore. I was young (on 65th birthday) and foolish then.

Shucks you caught red handed, fair and square !!! :laugh:

A ride in the sun will give you some funny looking white rings around your eyes with those goggles. Kind of like a raccoon but in reverse color. LOL

Jim

A ride in the sun will give you some funny looking white rings around your eyes with those goggles.
It won't be the first or last time I've been caught looking funny !!! :rolleyes: You should see
my white socks, my wife always complains about them!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back