Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Good deal

Todd

I sent Ron a file on a header flange for the 2.5 Iron Duke motor. I just got 3 of them in the mail today and all I can say is awesome. Good work, good price and quick. Thanks Ron, 'ya did good. I know where my brackets will come from for the T chassis.

first generation are hard to find but the merc cruiser version seems to be around yet....better deal especially if you can find a 181 motor.

second generation pontiac motor was a cross flow head...really hard to find today.

Ron

der Spieler said:
Are Iron Dukes easy to come by?

Iron Dukes are kind of easy to find. The hard part is to find an early one with the SBC trans mounting. Most have the metric trans (S10). The one I have came from a '79 Pontiac Astre which was the first year of the crossflow head.
The earlier Chevy II 4 cylinder (& Merc Cruiser boat motor) that looks like a shortened version of the 6 cylinder, is often incorrectly called the Iron Duke.
The moniker Iron Duke was used to instill confidence in a GM 4 cylinder after the Vega 140 failure.
This is all condensed from what I read on Wikipedia.

Todd said:
Iron Dukes are kind of easy to find. The hard part is to find an early one with the SBC trans mounting. Most have the metric trans (S10). The one I have came from a '79 Pontiac Astre which was the first year of the crossflow head.
The earlier Chevy II 4 cylinder (& Merc Cruiser boat motor) that looks like a shortened version of the 6 cylinder, is often incorrectly called the Iron Duke.
The moniker Iron Duke was used to instill confidence in a GM 4 cylinder after the Vega 140 failure.
This is all condensed from what I read on Wikipedia.
the early Iron Duke motor is supposedly the old ChevyII block with a new Crossflow head I was working at a Pontiac dealer when this motor came out I don't know how long that engine lasted.GM sold the tooling to Mercury Marine when they dropped the ChevyII 4 cylinder and then bought the rights back from them for replacing the vega OHC motor this is when they redesigned the head to crossflow.The origional head was prone to cracking.The Chevy Monza and the Pontiac Astra used this re issued 4 cylinder.

The only thing I don't like about the motor is the valve cover. Making one without all the jagged edges is on the list of things to accomplish.

What types of performance parts are available for these? Cams? Heads? Forged Cranks? Intake manifolds?

lots of after market stuff for these engines. there was a thread on here about it before.

Ron

der Spieler said:
What types of performance parts are available for these? Cams? Heads? Forged Cranks? Intake manifolds?
these engines were very popular in midget racing so there are lots of racing parts plus some speed stuff for the SBC will fit as well as chevy I6 stuff cam and crank the exceptions of course

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back