Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Got a ? about title and registration

streetmaster

Hey fella's im new at the site, just have a few ?'s about how i would go about getting a 23T registerd, and titled in my state of Pa. I have always liked the way a 23T looks, and i've wanted one for a while now. In my case, i would have to start out slow with just the frame, and then purchace parts as time goes on. I already have a 350hp 350sbc, with a fresh TH350 that was built for another project. The project went soulth, and now im thinking of a 23T for the motor and trans. The motor is out of a 84 1ton passanger van, which has been rebuilt for performance. Im not up on all the loop holes on kit cars in any state, so as much advice would be much appreciated. Please Advise ;)

As Mike stated, the laws are different depending on where you live. The best thing to do is call or visit your DMV and ask them. Real info is always better than rumor.

Welcome to the forum. I moved out of Pa in '82. One of the motivating factors to get out was the overly restrictive vehicle laws they had. I had a nice little '32 roadster pickup that was almost done and I had to blow it apart and use the pieces for other projects because I couldn't get it registered with no fenders or hood.

Things evidently changed some time after that because I saw some cars on a forum from Pa and they were fenderless and hoodless. I asked how they did it, and evidently Pa amended some laws to allow you to build a "special purpose vehicle." However, I have been seeing new threads where Pa is once again turning the screws and implementing some inspection and registration procedures that are making it once again tougher to do.

Here is what I would suggest. Call Total Performance. They are right in Connecticut and I am sure have sold cars to Pa customers. Ask what is needed to get one on the road in Pa. I hope someone from Pa comes on and gives you the current scoop. Historically, Pa has been very conservative and not willing to come into the 21st century.........any State that bans liquor sales on Sunday is messed up IMO, ;):lol:

I would also check with the DMV as suggested, but usually the people you get there don't have a clue. You might also want to go to some local shows and when you see a Pa plate on a car ask the owner how he did it.

Or, you could move to Florida...............we have NO rules down here!! :lol::lol:

Don

Don't move to Nevada, DMV here is totally unreasonable. My T is registered in Cali.

I know of 2 people that have wasted money on titles from the east coast. Here in Minnesnowta those titles aren't worth the paper their written on.

Ron

Originally My dad used one of those east coast titles, out of a magazine ad. It worked fine for him to register the car. Now 18 years later I have the car w/ title, and no numbers. I can't register it here in NV, the DMV here is trying to turn it into a new build. The smog station has to plug into the onboard computer, I don't have one. The stamped numbers on the vin pad on the block are illegible, so I can't go by year of mfg on the engine. I ended up driving to Cali. where my dad had it titled, showed them the death cert. paid 35 dollars got a title 4 weeks later in the mail.

In NC, our Spirit kit has an 2003 title labeled as a Custom. NCDMV requires that it has, lights, tail and brake lites and a windshield wiper. Doesn't matter what year the motor is, it doesn't need to pass a smog test as long as it's not smoking like a freight train.

That's his only post. I hope we didn't scare him off with all these DMV nightmare stories.:lol:

tfeverfred said:
That's his only post. I hope we didn't scare him off with all these DMV nightmare stories.:lol:
Im just sitting back and reading the mail, :lol: trying to study what every bodies replies are. Im new to the T-Bucket world, and im wanting to learn as much as posible before i take the plunge. Yeah T-Buckets are my fav, out of any of the other type rods out there. I just wanna follow the :lol:

tfeverfred said:

streetmaster said:
Im just sitting back and reading the mail, :lol: trying to study what every bodies replies are. Im new to the T-Bucket world, and im wanting to learn as much as posible before i take the plunge. Yeah T-Buckets are my fav, out of any of the other type rods out there. I just wanna follow the :lol:
OK good we didn't scare you off. Welcome streetmaster. As far as your registration my advise is check with your local DMV supervisor, this should give you an idea of what to do.

Probably for someone just getting his feet wet in the T bucket thing, one of the many kits on the market make a whole lot of sense. Everyone on here has brand preferences, but all of them have the advantage of being able to buy just what you need and adding more later on. They also come with an MSO (manufacturers statement of origin.......or something similar) to help you in titling it later on.

Don't let the "kit car" thing scare you.............they provide a solid basis for a car, and you can do things to make yours different from the rest of them out there. Another thing to consider is buying one that is either done or nearly done, and that comes with a title already. A few years ago we bought a T bucket from a guy for $ 1500 and with it came about $4000 worth of parts he had bought and kept in his house. It also came with the most valuable thing, a good title. We sold off the old body, frame and running gear for $ 750 and basically got a lot of new parts for the balance.

Just a thought.

Don

Yeah, nobodies gonna scare me away LOL, im just a little gun shy because i just went thru an ordeal with scrapping the pickup i had for 10yrs. I got it back in 98, and in 2000 i switched cabs, which ment that i had to swap the VIN plate form one cab to the other. Got cold feet because back then i never worried about the law, but now i do. So yanked the 350hp 350sbc, with a fresh TH350 back out and stuck it in storage. So i figured if i spend one red cent more on anything car wise, it will be a T-Bucket. I am on a budget though, so i'll have to start out with maybe just a frame, and build from there. Yeah with a house and 2 car payments, im sure a hole bunch of you out there can (feel me) but i'll get there. :cool:

streetmaster said:
Yeah, nobodies gonna scare me away LOL, im just a little gun shy because i just went thru an ordeal with scrapping the pickup i had for 10yrs. I got it back in 98, and in 2000 i switched cabs, which ment that i had to swap the VIN plate form one cab to the other. Got cold feet because back then i never worried about the law, but now i do. So yanked the 350hp 350sbc, with a fresh TH350 back out and stuck it in storage. So i figured if i spend one red cent more on anything car wise, it will be a T-Bucket. I am on a budget though, so i'll have to start out with maybe just a frame, and build from there. Yeah with a house and 2 car payments, im sure a hole bunch of you out there can (feel me) but i'll get there. :cool:

Ya gotta take care of what's important, man. In the end, this is just a great hobby, not life and death. Living under a bridge, but having a T Bucket, sure would look funny.:lol:

Streetmaster...sounds like you don't mind getting your hands dirty. If you did that much work on a pickup, building a neat little T should be a breeze. If the cost of a "kit' sounds a little scary, check out "pdf frame plans" in the tag cloud. The download is free. I developed those plans for those who wanted to build on a budget. For every "Kit" car out there, there are "X" number of scratch builds in progress. Hope to see you around here some more. Enjoy!

Ron

tfeverfred said:
Ya gotta take care of what's important, man. In the end, this is just a great hobby, not life and death. Living under a bridge, but having a T Bucket, sure would look funny.:lol:
Hey big guy, love the page, which is just how i want to do mine. After looking at your page, makes me want to do even more now.

Have no fear I am from PA.You can get a 23 ford title for the car,that's what I did with my car.It will cost about 300 to get a title.I will get you the phone number for you.

streetmaster said:
Hey big guy, love the page, which is just how i want to do mine. After looking at your page, makes me want to do even more now.

Thanks for the compliment. There are a few people here and on other sites who deserve credit for where I am now with mine. If you read about my build, you saw that I basicly built it a piece or section at a time. Mainly because of finances. In a logical world, I really shouldn't be building a hot rod. Good thing I never studied logic!:lol:

Form a plan of attack and weigh the pros and cons of how you want to start. Try and have a good idea of what you want yours to look like when it's done. You don't have to commit to it, I strayed a little, but I'm still close to target. A goal will make buying and finding parts easier, if you know for sure what you need. Things like chrome and fancy stuff can come later, so concentrate on the basics. I knew couldn't afford a chrome front suspension and other fancy stuff, so I planned my T to make good use of color. I also powdercoated the stuff that is chrome on a lot of T's. You could do that or paint it. There are a lot of ways to cut cost and one of the good things about a T Bucket is the simplicity of upgrading things later on. Concentrate on getting her going first.

Last, but not least, ASK QUESTIONS! Whether it's a salesman or tech support where you get your parts or right here, if you aren't sure about what you're doing.... ASK. The only bad or stupid question is the one that never gets asked. Check my posts, I ask a LOT of questions and seek advice.

All that being said, welcome to the board and I look forward to seeing what you go with. We ALL do!:lol:

The web site is : rtstreetrods.com and his phone# is 610-282-1726. The person to speek to is Sal he should be able to help you with all your needs.

Youngster said:
Streetmaster...sounds like you don't mind getting your hands dirty. If you did that much work on a pickup, building a neat little T should be a breeze. If the cost of a "kit' sounds a little scary, check out "pdf frame plans" in the tag cloud. The download is free. I developed those plans for those who wanted to build on a budget. For every "Kit" car out there, there are "X" number of scratch builds in progress. Hope to see you around here some more. Enjoy!

Ron
I love to dive head first into what ever it is that i chose to do. Yeah i did way to much work to that pickup, had it down to the frame, do it in POR15. Plus all new pannels, a Painless wire kit, and a bunch of other stuff. The biggest problem that kept poppin up was, i had to put the project up on the shelf to many times. I guess the fact of the matter is, the past few yrs the little T-Bucket bug's been nippen me in the a$$. And the only way i think i'll be able to scratch that itch, is to plant my but in the seat of a T-Bucket. :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back