Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

grill width question

mikesplumbing

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure something out and I just can't make heads or tails out of it.

It seems like when I look at all the T Buckets and how the grill surrounds fit they seem to fit with very little gap from the side to the frame edge. What's confusing is the frame width is very different on some of the frames. The ones with a taper like Total performance have a narrow front and yet the grills seem to fit well. A lot of people also use the wider frames like 26 1/2" but when I look at those the grill also seems to fit tight.

My frame is welded and I made mine 24" wide to the outside, anyone know what the width is on the original 23 or 27 radiator surround? I'm just curious if most people make them custom to fit or is there just a certain standard size.

Thanks

Mike

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure something out and I just can't make heads or tails out of it.

It seems like when I look at all the T Buckets and how the grill surrounds fit they seem to fit with very little gap from the side to the frame edge. What's confusing is the frame width is very different on some of the frames. The ones with a taper like Total performance have a narrow front and yet the grills seem to fit well. A lot of people also use the wider frames like 26 1/2" but when I look at those the grill also seems to fit tight.

My frame is welded and I made mine 24" wide to the outside, anyone know what the width is on the original 23 or 27 radiator surround? I'm just curious if most people make them custom to fit or is there just a certain standard size.

Thanks
I had to add 6" to mine to make it wider and a couple of inch taller,mount your radiator and make the shell fit
Mike

On all the ones I had done, the radiator shell has been ground to fit. In this first picture, you can see what a grill shell normally looks like in the area between the rails (this one hadnt been trimmed after coming out of the mold. One you buy will be trimmed).

radsh3.jpg

Then the area under the mounting flange gets cut/ ground out to clear the frame. That is why they all seem to fit tight.

radsh6.jpg

I have never had to widen the whole grill shell. But I have on the flanges. My last car had a couple inches added to the width of the flanges to make them the width of the frmae. But the inside was still ground out for clearance. And I dont fasten the shell to the frame by those flanges. I glue rubber on the bottom of the flanges for it to sit on (and put clear plastic tape on the frame under the rubber so the paint doesnt wear off), and I mount the shell to the radiator mount. Here is a shot from my last car. You can see the inside of the shell is trimmed just a little for clearance. And right by the headlight you can see a small fastener (10-32 stainless buttom head allen). I used 2 on each side to hold the shell onto the radiator mount.

100_0467.jpg

The screen in the radiator shell, what holds it in? Liquid nails? Silicone? Something else?

Mike, this one?

ArtinthePark53070.jpg

the shell is 20"OD and the frame rails are 20 1/2" ID.

Here is mine with 19 5/8" between the frame rails.

IMG_0836.jpg

Jim

The screen in the radiator shell, what holds it in? Liquid nails? Silicone? Something else?

I used a fast set epoxy to initially glue it in, just a few dabs to hold it in place, then used a 3M marine glue to seal it in completely. It came frome either home depot or Lowes, dont remember which. It was kinda slow to dry, but was paintable. Normally I glue things together with silicone, but its not paintable. And this had to be paintable.

Thanks Bruce and Ex Junk! Yeah, lust like that. What radiator did you guys use, the ID is 21" between my frame rails and I want to have the same grill shell I think.

Mike

My radiator is for a "T" and made by Custom Radiator.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back