Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ground clearance question

skullman

Hey guys. I just got my recently purchased Total Performance bucket back together and on the ground and man is it low. The pitman arm and the oil pan are 3 1/2" off the ground. Ted and I have discussed how to correct the pitman arm clearance and that is next on the agenda. The only thing I can see to do for more pan clearance is raise the car up in the front with 1" spacer between the front spring and perch. Not a good looking solution. Do any of you Total Performance bucket owners (or anyone else) have any other suggestions.

the cheapest way to raise your front end is going to be the spacer. they look a little out of place when you use a "block". if you cut an aluminum block 4" longer than your pearch is wide and taper it bacl 2" per side it looks better. other fixes require more cash or rework such as taller tires, new spring pearch, raising the ngine and trans.

how are you going to fix the pitman arm issue?

Ron

That's a good idea on the block. Gives it that spring leaf look. I guess you could make two 1/2" spacers with one being 4" longer and it would look even more like leafs. I was talking to Speedway this morning and it looks like Total had a "scrub line" kit which was required to pass the NSRA safety inspection . . . but it is no longer available.

The taller tire thing might work as I really don't like or plan on keeping the motorcycle front wheels. They look cool but I personally don't think they are all that safe.

As for the pitman arm Ted and I have discussed moving the steering box to the top of the frame. It's not my favorite location, but definitely safer and better drag link angle with added advantage of more leg room.

just for reference, i'm running 165's on the front and they are 27" tall. if your going to move the steering box, maybe give some thought to a new spring pearch too. really not that hard to swap out.

if you make a spacer, don't forget to put a bolt or locating pin on the top side to go into the hole in the spring pearch.

you will like the angle of the column better with the box mounted on top of the frame. never cared for totals steering box mount. besides being to low, the column angle is uncomfortable for me.

Ron

Youngster said:
the cheapest way to raise your front end is going to be the spacer. they look a little out of place when you use a "block". if you cut an aluminum block 4" longer than your pearch is wide and taper it bacl 2" per side it looks better. other fixes require more cash or rework such as taller tires, new spring pearch, raising the ngine and trans.

how are you going to fix the pitman arm issue?

Ron

3.5 inches is about all I have at the oil pan too. That's why I'm using a SLAM GUARD oil pan. It's protected the oil plug a few times driving around DFW on these terrible roads.

Ron - are you running a Total frame with the steering box on top of the frame. If so do you have a digital camera so you could snap a photo of your set-up. Now that I have the car back together with headers and everything in place I'm having a hard time visualizing enough extra space to do that on my T.

GT63 - Does that Slam-Guard pan actually have a skid plate welded onto the pan or is it just a thicker pan? I've thought about having a piece of steel rolled on one end and tack welded to the bottom of my stock pan.

Here is my Slamguard removed from the motor. As you can see, it has done it's job several times. The plate is about 3/8", IIRC. I only have 3.5" clearance on the pan... I think you can get away with that if you have the Slamguard AND you are constantly aware of what you're about to drive over! :eek:

slamguarddent.jpg

Lee - Thanks for the photo. I'm gonna drive it very cautiously once I get the new engine fired up, but it looks like I've got some more work to do before I do any really hard driving.

no i'm not using a total frame, i built my own. you might have to get creative to put the box on top of the rails. wish i had a better answer for you. another option would be to go to cross or cowl steering. that would take a bit of re-working on a total chassis though. what ever you do to move it at this point is going to take some re-engineering.

i guess if it were mine, i would mount it on top of the frame anyway i could. tuck it close to the firewall and /or drop the mounting plate down into the rail.

there are a lot of total cars out there with this set up on them. if you are raising the frame for pan clearance, you will get a little more clearance that way too. you might be trying to fix a problem that dosen't exisit.

Ron

I don't know what conditions are where some of you live but here in Florida we have pretty good roads. I have only 3 1/4" clearance on my Slam Guard pan and have had absolutely NO clearance problems.

Jim

I have an older Total set up and while it sits really low it doesn't scrub on the speed bumps on my street. The pitman arm is about 3.5" high and the oil pan is in the same area.

I hope it works out that way here. But I'm in a logging area with lots of big rigs and railroads tracks . . . and some of the pot holes are 3" deep so I'm trying to plan ahead.

QUOTE=old round fart: If you have a reversed box get a stock box and put the arm up. Would that not leave the box in the same position?

And if that works for ya, you can then put spacers between the motor mounts and the pads on the frame to raise the block.

Jeff

If you are running a reversed eye spring now, that is a quick fix to just have a new or re-rolled eyes into your main leaf, also I do run a home made skid plate in the bottom of my oil pan, saved it many times... if you do have room with your floor boards, to space up the engine a bit, that is a easy job to help also get things up a bit more.. :lol: NOTE; always try and drive over dips and speed bumps from a bit of an angle, that keeps the suspension from bottoming out all at once, hits only one wheel at a time.. Good luck with your project. :)

What would be the minimum ground clearance most peeps would run in their Bucket? Or would you just try to get it as low as you can? I have a few small scraps that I could make a skid plate for the earl pan.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back