Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Have you ever not told the wife???

Indycars

Below is the document I put in the folder on my computer with some photos, it is exactly
as I wrote it last year in July. This event took place on July 7th, 2019.

I was cleaning the Right Front Tire getting ready to cruise to the White Dog Hill restaurant just east of Clinton OK for dinner. The wheel was binding terribly when I tried to rotate it for cleaning. Then I discovered that 3 of the 4 bolts were gone and the 4th was loose. Although they weren't really missing, they were just rolling around inside the drum. hehehe !!!

This was about 2 pm and we were leaving at 4pm, I still needed to make a trip to the car wash and come home and finish drying the car.

I didn't remove the lugnuts, I just removed the spindle nut and removed the wheel/drum assembly together. I had another 7/16-20 bolt and 4 ny-lock nuts so I installed them with some Blue Loctite. Checked the other side, decided to do the same so I could tighten those bolts.

Almost a Catastrophe and SueAnn doesn't even know, which is a very good thing.

The photo is after we got back around 8:45 pm tonight, hey they are still there.....yeah !!!!!!!!!

upload_2020-4-18_17-18-53.png

You were a lucky guy that nothing bad happened. You came out a hero. If it went the other way you might not have heard her screaming at you anyway. If you know what I mean. I had a similar experience not too long ago. I was out for a cruise and there was this thump, thump, thump from the left front wheel. I first thought it was the road or the tire. Then as I drove and kept looking at the tire, it looked like it was wobbling around kind of strangely. I was near home so I just drove slowly and when I get back in the garage I found out that all 5 lug nuts were loose. Very loose. Just a couple of threads holding on for dear life. I guess I was doing something right that day. I was damn lucky nothing bad happened. Don’t know how that happened.
Some times the big guy is on our side!

I don't think my wife has a clue just how much I have into my build.

I've got a 4" thick stack of receipts that I'll add up some day.....

.....in private.

I had a similar experience not too long ago.
I bet most of us have a had a similar experience, some going bad and some going good !

There is just something about the right side of my car, the right rear axle came out in Arkansas
going down a long hill into a left hand turn. The only thing I knew was I had NO brakes.
So I used the trans and started gearing down and made the turn. Pulled over and the axle had
slid out about 4 inches, good thing it was a left hand turn that was pushing the axle in.

Just before I posted my 1st comment above, the wife came thru the garage. I called her over
and showed her the document I created that day last July. She laughed, I really thought there
would have been a more of a reaction. You just can never tell !

For some reason she rarely asks to drive the TBucket anymore ???

My wife knows how much I have spent on the T and the race car. She says its my money so do what you want with it.

In saying that I have made sure she will be OK when I hit the net at the end of the race way and NEVER questioned what she has spent her money on.

Bets advice is, keep it separate, but support each other when the need is there. Your loved one is more important than the next CNCd inlet manifold.

Yea, you could get alot of ass in that trailer !!!

My apologizes Island Girl !

My wife doesn’t care. She is provided for. I do, on occasion, bounce ideas off of her to give her the chance to voice her opinion but it’s always up to me... that’s a two edged sword. I wish that she would protest at times to save me from myself! Of course that’s one big difference between my first wife of three years and my current wife of near 30 years... we don’t try to rule or compete with each other, just co exist. The thing that bothers her is not knowing what stuff is or what it’s worth. She told me to inventory stuff and put a value on it so whenever I kick the bucket she will know what is what... that’s a tall order when you collect as much stuff as I have.

My wife was a former book keeper. She knows down to the penny what is in both of my street rods. She has also been my right hand gal in all my builds. This August we will celebrate our 57th wedding anniversary so you might say that she's a "keeper". I might also that we "went steady" for three years before getting married.

Jim

This August we will celebrate our 57th wedding anniversary so you might say that she's a "keeper". I might also that we "went steady" for three years before getting married.

Jim

That's awesome.

Mine's a keeper too. She puts up with my obsession to build this thing. I stopped counting build hours a few years ago when I hit 3000. So probably double that now with so many weekends "playing" with my car.

If you got payed by the hour for your time, it would be way below minimum wage.
It's crossed my mind about building an engine or transmission for someone else, but
they couldn't afford me even at $5/hr. I'm just too slow to charge someone for my time.

So I fully understand your statement.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back