Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Headlight mounts. Bolt on or weld on?

Just a side note, when making a single headlight mount like that, I also like to drill the lower backside so the tapered mount will now weld at the top and also the bottom (backside) this will keep things from ever wanting to fatigue just that top section of frame material... Do a test part, nothing fancy, weld it to a piece of frame material, hold the piece in a solid mounted vice, now either by hand or with a cheater tube, flex that mount until it breaks out of the frame, now you will understand why I do a though frame bracket, you can cross drill the tub for the wires, if you want them to stay inside the frame... Just me here as I have had to redo a few early brackets after some years of good driving by customers... :)

Could you clarify, I am not quite catching what you are talking about?

I was thinking of either slugging through the frame to make it a little more solid, or making a 1/8 plate and welding it to the top of the frame, then bolting through that. Currently the mounts are bolted all the way through to frame, but just tightening them down I can see the top of the frame dipping.

Of course a simpler way to do that taperred headlight stand might be to cut a long V out of the side of some tubing, then close the V and weld it shut. Probably hard to keep it nice and even/straight though... just a thought...
Corley

When bolting all the way through your frame, best to weld in tubing all the way through, this can now be tightened up tight and no squeezing the frame out of shape... Even a radius rod bracket, can be made to have part of that bracket fit all the way through your frame, this takes so much pressure off the weld when the 3/8" bracket material is held by (welded) frame material 3 inches apart... Just cut a slot big enough for that extra piece to stick through the frame and weld it now at both sides of the frame... Flush it off when finished, no one will ever know/see that you did it that way... :)

I agree. You should get some pro pics and sell the prints! I need some wall art.

you're not the first person to say this.
Be assured if that ever happened the Forum members get first pick of them. I do have a very firendly printer from my sales and marketing days who would help me out. I was thinking, when its finally finished of getting a few for all the people who have donated time, parts and energy to my dream. Not sure there is enough interest to go for a run. Unless anyone knows a cute blond who want to pose and add some glamor!!!
G

Hello Gerry, Most guys using photos with women are trying to get attention that their car even exist. That is not the case with your car. Your car is the art piece. No need to clutter it up with nonsense, unless you can talk her into going for a ride with you. jmho Put me down for a poster, please. Okay, now you have sold two.
ea.gif

Getting back to the topic, I would also drill a hole all the way through the frame, put a piece of tubing, weld both ends shut, and tap the other end. Standard procedure. Keeps the bottom of the frame clean. Although, from my own point of view, I would weld the headlight brackets to the frame ---and also have a set of shock absorbers incorporated into the bracket. Just me!

Hello Gerry, Most guys using photos with women are trying to get attention that their car even exist. That is not the case with your car. Your car is the art piece. No need to clutter it up with nonsense, unless you can talk her into going for a ride with you. jmho Put me down for a poster, please. Okay, now you have sold two.
ea.gif

Getting back to the topic, I would also drill a hole all the way through the frame, put a piece of tubing, weld both ends shut, and tap the other end. Standard procedure. Keeps the bottom of the frame clean. Although, from my own point of view, I would weld the headlight brackets to the frame ---and also have a set of shock absorbers incorporated into the bracket. Just me!

I thought about trying to incorporate a shock mount into mine. I could not get the look I wanted so I will make a separate mount for the shocks. I haven't quite figured that one out yet!

I picked up some small 1/8 wall tubing for the frame slugs, I will be installing them hopefully this weekend.

If you bolt them on and you at some time want to try a different style of headlight post they can be easily changed out without ruining a paint job. If you weld them on they're pretty much there to stay.

I bolted mine on , angle iron pad ,2bolts side, 2bolts top rad. shell flange sandwiched between angle & top of frame, used 1/4 nutserts in frame, has worked well for 10 years, my shock mounts are seperate dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back