Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Help lighting the fuse

I have had one heck of a time with getting my t restarted after getting in the new engine. Went to crank engine slow cranking no matter what i did,redone the ground wires ,connections ect..found out the starter was cracked almost into by solenoid,got new starter and now it cranks ,no fire. Wired up the msd 6al box which i got off ebay used. Put on new pc-91 coil and a new distributor but no fire,got on web and msd says with aluminum heads they have to be grounded so did that,no fire. So i figured my box was bad so i bought a different distributor that didnt need the msd box to run ,no fire. Checked coil and found it was bad,new coil not in yet but i noticed that when i cranked it the voltage dropped to 9 volts on one side of the ignition switch and 1 volt on the side i had it wired to .. Does this mean my switch is bad also? How much voltage should i get at ignition switch while cranking? Thanks for info,bought car already wired and it was running fine before i messed with it lol..

I have had one heck of a time with getting my t restarted after getting in the new engine. Went to crank engine slow cranking no matter what i did,redone the ground wires ,connections ect..found out the starter was cracked almost into by solenoid,got new starter and now it cranks ,no fire. Wired up the msd 6al box which i got off ebay used. Put on new pc-91 coil and a new distributor but no fire,got on web and msd says with aluminum heads they have to be grounded so did that,no fire. So i figured my box was bad so i bought a different distributor that didnt need the msd box to run ,no fire. Checked coil and found it was bad,new coil not in yet but i noticed that when i cranked it the voltage dropped to 9 volts on one side of the ignition switch and 1 volt on the side i had it wired to .. Does this mean my switch is bad also? How much voltage should i get at ignition switch while cranking? Thanks for info,bought car already wired and it was running fine before i messed with it lol..
Usually a 1.5 to 2 volt drop can be expected depending on the total load applied to the starter motor.Not following the switch;"1 volt batt side,9 volt starter side (WHICH IS AN IMPOSSIBILITY),so I will assume it is vise versa which means yes switch contacts could be bad.I would isolate off of the switch with a new test wire going straight to starter soleniod with no other battery or switch hot circuits connected and recheck voltage.If it is fine at this time you could olm the other circuits independent of each other to find the high resistance or reconnect 1 at a time until you notice the reacuring voltage drop.Do not forget to check the battery supply cable(+ and -)as a break down in either or bad or loose connections would cause voltage drop as load(current) requirements increased.

I would back up and make sure you havent done something to ruin your msd box.Like a ground problem. I would make sure that the battery ground is battery to frame then frame to motor. The #4 cables you get at autozone are to small to maintain the battery voltage on some of your accessories IE distributor, gauges, when the starter is cranking. Put a meter on the battery and have some one crank it over. I would be concerned if it drops below 11 volts.Big cables from the battery pos and neg is money in the bank. You can run a wire from the battery feed directly to the distributor to rule out the ignition switch for a test. MUST BE IN PARK

Sorry about my wording on the voltage, the 2 post coming off ign switch ACC. and run post i guess? Thats where i was getting the different voltage reading while cranking. I will get a different switch and see what that does,if it ever warms up .. Thanks for replies guys.

Sorry about my wording on the voltage, the 2 post coming off ign switch ACC. and run post i guess? Thats where i was getting the different voltage reading while cranking. I will get a different switch and see what that does,if it ever warms up .. Thanks for replies guys.
Have you tried using a remote starter button and a hot wire to the coil? to see if you get fire.. I never use the key starter anymore, no good luck with any of them.. #12 wire at least to the starter button, coming and going back to the starter solenoid. This cures hard cranking most of the time also.. Ride safe :thumb:

Insom,
If you keep having problems PM me, I'm about an hour or so away, been wiring things like this for years (also an ASE master tech) My other half needs to see her grandchild that also lives in Carthage so it"s not out of the way..........ruggs

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back