Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

high rad pressure in new build

TerryRene

we just installed a new 351w that i had built be a local race shop in the bucket. new rad, new every things. we started the engine to break in the new can. added the new coolant, and ran the engine at about 2000 rpm. it ran for about 8 minutes then blew off the upper radiator hose from the thermostat
housing. coolant went everywhere. the water was not hot. i pulled the thermostat and it was open. i took it out and reran the car. it pumped out all the coolant out of the radiator. not sure what is going on.
any ideas?

Sounds like you might have air in the system. Try filling with coolant, leaving the radiator cap loose and run it for a few minutes. Check the coolant level and add as needed. Took me a couple of 'cycles' to get rid of trapped air in my 350 Chevy block. Now it runs normal temps.

Check to be sure there is no water in the oil. That sounds like too much pressure to be simply air unless the clamp wasn’t tight. It could be a leaking head gasket pressurizing the cooling system. Leave the radiator cap off, refill, but not too full, restart it and see if it will purge the air and watch for normal coolant flow in the radiator. Are you using break in oil and additives? Also, you should alter the rpm during break in, not steady rpm. Occasionally slightly revving the engine will help assure that the lifters spin and properly bleed, etc. If this happened to me, I would stop everything and pressure test the cooling system to be sure that there isn’t a leak. If a head gasket didn’t seal, you could do major damage, especially during initial break in due to contaminated oil, overheating, or both. Can you rent, borrow, or build a pressure tester? If you are confident there’s no cross contamination going on, let it warm up and purge the cooling system with the radiator cap off, let the thermostat cycle and fill it as needed. It should not be full, you must leave room for the coolant to expand when it heats up, full hot will be several inches below the filler neck cool, if that makes sense. On a side note, are you sure that the water pump is rotating the correct direction? I had a nightmare while breaking in a sbc several years back. That particular engine required a reversed rotation pump, the parts store sold me the wrong one and I didn’t catch it untill it overheated during break in... not good. Just a thought.

If radiator is too low water does not fill the heads --the water boils and make steam and will build lots of pressure ---you can fill engine first from upper hose to make sure it is full than fill rad.

On ford small blocks if head gaskets are inadvertently installed backwards this will cause water flow incorrectly and over heat .

Jack the front of the car up so the rad cap is the highest point on the cooling system

The first question should be was the clamp tight.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back