Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Holley Pro-jection on Tunnel ram

Hi guys,

its getting cold down here at the bottom of the South pacific so I bought a 26 T coupe for winter cruising. It needs a bit of work to be made legal and will work on that over the next month or two.

The engine bay is pretty long and has a mild 302w with a stuffed single 4 bbl Holley 600. Im planning to replace it with a Weiand tunnel ram and a pair of Holley Pro-jection throttlebodies.

I figure that tunnel rams look cool but are pretty hopeless on the street, so the pro-jection should cure that. Have found all the bits second hand for fair prices, and just wondered if theres any advice out there which can help me to get the setup running.

Ive printed out the info from Holley on the pro-jection top help set it all up.

Thanks
Todd

The tunnelram isn't as bad as a lot of folks make it out to be. The ones that have had trouble are the ones that dump all 8 barrels at once and have them set so both carbs are are fighting each other.
There's a good article over at the NTBA website that good reading for anyone that runs these jewels.

The Pro-jection I believe is a computer based injection system.......and as long as you can call Holley with your mapping....I believe you wouldn't have any problems........should be straight forward. I'm kinda old school....so I'm behind the learning curve on some of this newfangled computer mess.......but its with us and I've gotta make the best outta it.

The NTBA article about 2-4's and Tunnelrams.......listen to what is said about the progessive linkage.......its tunable......run off 1 carb 70% of the time.....when you floor it....all 4's come into play. I have ridden in several cars that were correctly setup with the progressive linkage with it feeding a really healthy Big block.......I almost soiled my fresh laundry!

There are some early model projection systems out there. Saying you have bought yours used, I am thinking that may be what you have.
I have the 670 cfm 2 barrel model on my 66 Mustang 351W. It will
smooth out a rough cam idle and provide excellent throttle response.
It runs at about 16 psi. It can be tuned without a wideband O2 sensor, the newer models come with a sensor. Mine does not use one, but most dyno shops rely on the sensors to get the air fuel ratio right. The tuning screws on the box are like potentiometers. (sp) Their rpm fields overlap, so you can have a flat spot if your rpm transitions from a properly turned range to an improper one.
It can be tuned by the seat of the pants. Let someone tune while another drives. It has a great choke and fast idle set up. It makes an old carb car run like a new car. The only problems I have encountered is letting mine set, too long and the pump locked up due to a varnish build up on the pump gears. The units are not serviceable. I replaced mine with an inline pump off a Ford truck. Put a pressure gauge on the system. The throttle body has a regulator adjustment on it. The second problem, it will not fire off with a low battery. This may be a combination of the engine and projection system. There is a NO Flooding mode if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while starting the engine. Overall I would buy the product again. The single 670 cfm unit will not make much over 260-270 rwhp. Two of them should handle any sane engine on a T.

good luck,

railroad said:
There are some early model projection systems out there. Saying you have bought yours used, I am thinking that may be what you have.
I have the 670 cfm 2 barrel model on my 66 Mustang 351W. It will
smooth out a rough cam idle and provide excellent throttle response.
It runs at about 16 psi. It can be tuned without a wideband O2 sensor, the newer models come with a sensor. Mine does not use one, but most dyno shops rely on the sensors to get the air fuel ratio right. The tuning screws on the box are like potentiometers. (sp) Their rpm fields overlap, so you can have a flat spot if your rpm transitions from a properly turned range to an improper one.
It can be tuned by the seat of the pants. Let someone tune while another drives. It has a great choke and fast idle set up. It makes an old carb car run like a new car. The only problems I have encountered is letting mine set, too long and the pump locked up due to a varnish build up on the pump gears. The units are not serviceable. I replaced mine with an inline pump off a Ford truck. Put a pressure gauge on the system. The throttle body has a regulator adjustment on it. The second problem, it will not fire off with a low battery. This may be a combination of the engine and projection system. There is a NO Flooding mode if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while starting the engine. Overall I would buy the product again. The single 670 cfm unit will not make much over 260-270 rwhp. Two of them should handle any sane engine on a T.

good luck,

Great info...... the 'puters we got on the FC's aren't all crazy like some of this electronic on cars now adays......its great to have ya here.......there's one problem though............Sane???????? On a T-Bucket??????????? Watch out....the flood gates might open at any moment now!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Haha,

Our T coupe has a sane 302w engine with the tunnel ram and the pro-jection throtttlebodies.

Our bucket has the really sane 540 cube engine with the supercharger. Its really sane because it allows me to live out one of lifes dreams - which I now understand is called a bucket list.

Works for me. :D

My timeframes on the T coupe - have it legal by 4th of July so we can celebrate your Independence Day - look under threat as most of the front end & steering failed certification & I have had to replace a fair bit of it. And you can only spend money once.

But Im not giving up or slowing down. Life is for living and I will sell more of the longterm car parts collection if I have to.

Insane huh?

Hey HotRodTod........oh that 540 and the blower just does it for me!!!!!!!HaHa! Naaaaa........your completely sane......you love T's and Rods!!!!!!

Now....insane are the drivers that drive the AA/FC's and Fuelers!
AA/FA's Forever!!!!!!!!:razz::razz::razz::razz:

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']

Now....insane are the drivers that drive the AA/FC's and Fuelers!
AA/FA's Forever!!!!!!!!:razz::razz::razz::razz:[/quote] More years ago than I care to recall Firbird race park in Phoenix, Az. had a FA only show! The number of cars that made a full pass without lifting, you could count on one hand. What a show!! They may not be the fastest things around, but they sure are the most exciting. They're not called rail bangers without a reason. :eek:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back