Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hoosier vs Mickey Thompson

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
Been looking to replace the dirt trackers on the back of the bucket. Can't decide on Hoosier or Mickey Thompson Sportsman radials. I like the tread pattern on the Mickeys a little bit better. What I really wonder about is balancing these monster tires and them being out of round.
You guys got some input? Looking at 33 x 22 x 15

I have the 31x18x15 and they run very true no hop and balanced very well.I bought mine off Ebay from these guys.
Mccormack

I have 3 sets of Mickeys, same size as you are talking about. I have never balanced any of them, and have never had a problem. I run about 10 lbs. of air pressure with tubes. Two sets of wheels are Centerline, one set is Cragar, all are 15 X 15.

Jeff

I have the 31x18x15 and they run very true no hop and balanced very well.I bought mine off Ebay from these guys.
Mccormack
Thats pretty wierd cause thats where iv'e been buying tires for years and there about 3 miles from my house.Great people and she will tell you not to buy a tire if its not right for your app.

I had Mickey Thompson bias and replaced with the sportsman radials. Great tire but mine isn't near as large as what you are looking for, 30X12.00R15LT.

I tried the big Mickey T tires some years back, no luck with them (always wanted to get flat spots)then I changed to BF Goodrich 33X12.50 (tubless)Truck TA, they are the best street tires I have ever run... and they hang on like glue for me... plus I have them on a 15" wide rim... plenty stable. ride safe :)
I lay a short black pattern on the road to see if my air pressure is correct..

I just, reluctantly, bought some hoosier 10" wides and Cragers for the rear of my project. The price on those really wide monsters, with rims, are more than I'll have in the rest of the car. Maybe when I hit the loto.

Russ

Been looking to replace the dirt trackers on the back of the bucket. Can't decide on Hoosier or Mickey Thompson Sportsman radials. I like the tread pattern on the Mickeys a little bit better. What I really wonder about is balancing these monster tires and them being out of round.

I have Hoosiers on my T and love them. I know alot of guys the switched from the MT bias Sportsmans to the Hoosiers. I've seen the MT Radials, nice tread pattern but they don't appear to have as deep a tread as my Hoosiers do. BTW, Discount Tire can get the Hoosiers for you and if you have them mount and balance, you can get their warranty.

Wore out three sets of 31x18 Hoosiers (soft) good tires perfect balance 15-18K miles per set. Might last longer if you stay off the drag strip and avoid them long high speed trips, but they REALLY work at the strip. I'm now on my second set of Mickey radials (first set very early production drivers side way out of round warranty) with over 16k miles and no balance problem, harder rubber than the Hoosier and a little bigger handfull in the rain, but drivable. Bottom line the Hoosier is hard to beat but Mickey looks good. Good Luck Harley

I went from an N50-15 bias ply to the Hoosiers 31-15.50x15 on 10" rims, a world of difference.

Darn you RPM. You made me cancel my order for the 10" wides and order some 15 x 15s. I'll just have to work some extra hours this week I guess.
hyper.gif

Russ

The Hoosiers have 8/32 tread depth. I got lucky when I got mine. The guy had them on a driving "show car" and changed the tires and rims for a different look. I got the 31x18x15 with 6/32 tread left and 26x7x15 with 7/32 left. No cuts, rubs, patches or plugs all 4 for $400!!!! :) Compared to @$1100 new plus shipping.

I have had two sets of 31 * 18.5 Hoosiers and currently have 31 * 19.5 M/Ts because they were available when it was time to replace them.

Sometimes its tough living in a South Pacific paradise - stuff costs twice what you guys have to pay up there, and you guys have an abundant supply to choose from.

For on road manners (and at the dragstrip too) the Hoosier is vastly superior to the Mickey Tees. The M/Ts arent as nice in the wet either

I went from an N50-15 bias ply to the Hoosiers 31-15.50x15 on 10" rims, a world of difference.

Hi Bruce, are they 15.50 or 16.50? I was looking on the Hoosier site and did not see a 31/15.50/15. I have 10" wide wheels also and they recomend a 12.50

Hi Bruce, are they 15.50 or 16.50? I was looking on the Hoosier site and did not see a 31/15.50/15. I have 10" wide wheels also and they recomend a 12.50

I have the 29/15.50/15 mounted on 15x10 American Racing wheels. I have seen the 31/16.50/15 mounted on 15x10 wheels. It gives the sidewall a nice round look.

Dave, they are the 31/16.50's on 10" rims.

ArtinthePark53071.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back