Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters                Spirit Industries                Southern Legacy Freight!               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

Hot Alternator

Discussion in 'Electrics' started by dwsatt21, Oct 31, 2020.

1. dwsatt21

dwsatt21
    Expand Collapse

Anyone have their alternator get very hot without the car running. My was just sitting with the batter connected to a charger/tender. I went to mess around with my coolant over and bumped against it. It was almost hot enough to burn me.
    I was thinking it may be a grounding issue but there is barely any resistance between the cats and the frame.

2. choppedtop

choppedtop
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    Had that happen about a month ago. Exciter wire was hot all the time. It had to be run from a switched source such as the ignition switch. May not be your problem, but that is what cured mine. It was on friends new ride.

3. dwsatt21

dwsatt21
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I’ll check that out.

4. dwsatt21

dwsatt21
    Expand Collapse

Yep. 12.8 volts with the ignition switch off. Thanks for the help choppedtop!

5. dwsatt21

dwsatt21
    Expand Collapse

I haven’t fixed it yet but ever since I unplugged my alternator exciter wire, it’s not getting hot anymore. The harness I have has two alternator wires and not very clear directions. One is called alternator power and the other alternator exciter. The directions led me to hook up the alternator power which is apparently hot all the time. The alternator exciter is only hot with the key.

6. choppedtop

choppedtop
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    Looks like you found the problem. The keyed one is the one you want to use.

dwsatt21 and lincolnuT like this.

Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! White Rose Technology Ting Mobile Buy VPN

SSL Certificate