Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How to change back to the old forum style

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
VIP Member
Supporting Member
In a little bit, I am going to start installing a new forum style for the forum.

You may feel differently, but I find this new style to be rather, well, unappealing. If you don't like it, that's OK with me.

The reason I am installing this style is that it is highly optimized for the search engine spiders. The way it is laid out and the way certain phrases and titles appear are all designed to make the search engines happy.

You can see what this new style will look like, in the attachment below. Pretty stark. But highly optimized.

This new style is going to become the default style for the forum. Anyone that visits the forum without registering and selecting a different style will be viewing this one. The search engine spiders are visitors and they will be able to crawl this optimized version of the forum.

Now then, for those of you that want to get back to the familiar RedBar style, here are the steps you will need to take.

Up in that green band, you will see a menu option, called Quick Links. Click on that and a drop-down menu will appear. From that menu, click on Edit Options, which will open a new page. Scroll clear to the bottom of the new page and you will see a module called Miscellaneous Options. Inside that module, there is section called Forum Skin. Click on the down-arrow next to Use Forum Default and you will see --RedBar. Click on Redbar. Just below that is a button called Save Changes. Click on that one and you are finished.

When you visit the forum, you will see the default skin (depending on your browser's cache), but when you log in, you will then see the RedBar style.

The new forum style is.........AWESOME!:)

It is also away for a while. It somehow managed to break one of the more important aspects of vBSEO on ALL the styles. :twisted:

I think that the "new" style leaves a LOT to be desired. I followed the instructions to get back to the "old" style but they were totally bogus. The usual familiar page did not appear. Am I that stupid or is there someone else that is having a problem. I have a Mac but I don't think that should stop me from getting the familiar style format that I find much more appealing.

I know that I am an old dog and you can't really teach me new tricks but this computer stuff is really confusing. I can build a pretty good car but these computers will be the death of me.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant.

I finally was able to get back to the old style that I am familiar with and feel comfortable. It just took some extra steps that were not explained in the instructions. But like all the instructions that we get with the parts we buy, they all seem to leave a lot to be desired.

EX JUNK said:
I finally was able to get back to the old style that I am familiar with and feel comfortable. It just took some extra steps that were not explained in the instructions. But like all the instructions that we get with the parts we buy, they all seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Mac is related to the Devil! A distant aunt or something.;):)

EX JUNK said:
I think that the "new" style leaves a LOT to be desired.
Which is why the other styles were not deleted. Believe it or not, we realize there are different strokes for different folks.

Actually, for the user that is in a hurry, the 'new style' works much better, as there are fewer graphics to deal with. Which equates to pages loading faster.

I followed the instructions to get back to the "old" style but they were totally bogus.
Really??

I just followed them, to the letter and they worked just fine for me. And to be certain of it, I've tried it on three different machines, running three different operating systems, using a total of four different browsers.

Totally bogus? Gee, sorry to hear we've ruined your day the way we have.

I have a Mac but I don't think that should stop me from getting the familiar style format that I find much more appealing.
Nope. My iMac is sitting here and everything worked just fine on it. In both OS X (Safari and Opera) and I also used Parallels to check Windoze versions of IE7, Firefox 3 and Opera. Slick as a whistle, in each instance.

A Windoze system, running IE7, Firefox 3 and Opera worked just as well. As did a Linux system, running Forefox 2 and Opera.

But like all the instructions that we get with the parts we buy, they all seem to leave a lot to be desired.
Next time we need a set of instructions written up, we'll get you lined up to write them for us. We certainly don't want to have any more bogus information posted on here.

And don't worry about apologizing for the rant. We know we're totally incapable of making everyone happy all of the time. In fact, we know it so well, we don't even bother with trying. That's why there are places to log out of the forum, on every page. Click on that Log Out menu item and it puts an end to all the hassles. Easy-peasy.

The new forum style's like mellow man... ;) but I don't care what it looks like, as long as it works and works good. The other style looked like HAMB and sometimes the red is a little harsh on the eyes. I'll keep the blue and white until it's changed again.

I switched back to the old style with no problems at all.

I haven't decided which style I like so I keep changing. :lol:

There's no question, the vBSEO style is a bit plain to look at. I find it ugly as sin. But it was optimized for search engine crawls, with little effort given to making it 'pretty'. And since members can easily change right back to the RedBar style (if they can sort those "bogus" instructions, that is), we're taking advantage of the search engine optimization.

I changed back with no problem, but I never read the instructions. I read the instructions when all else fails.

why use the long way to change the skin ?

scroll aaaaal the way to the bottom of this page (or any other forum page) and theres a skin selector in the lower left

click on it and select a different skin and your done

Lowrollerchevy said:
why use the long way to change the skin ?

scroll aaaaal the way to the bottom of this page (or any other forum page) and theres a skin selector in the lower left

click on it and select a different skin and your done

That's just to dang easy... stop it!

LumenAl said:
That's just to dang easy... stop it!

fine, then ill add the requirement that if you use the skin selector at the bottom of the page, you also have to do a full overhaul on a gm 4L80-e automatic transmission

better ? :)

There's a little "bleed over" on the top of the home page. Does anyone else have this or is it my computer? It's not THAT big of an issue, but it wasn't there before.

tfeverfred said:
There's a little "bleed over" on the top of the home page.
Fred, are you referring to the portal page (tbucketeers.com/) or the forum's home page (tbucketeers.com/forum/).

Which style are you using?

Define 'bleed over'. What are you seeing, exactly?

If we can get some details, we'll see if we can get things fixed up.

I went back to the Red Bar Style cuz the green was starting to melt my eyeballs. :eek: I can't even begin to describe that green color.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back