Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I want a simple rat rod

So, up to that point you were thinking about a bucket and the pain brought you back. :eek:
Nice description of the accident, I think I am a little squemish now. :sick:
Take it easy and be careful.

So I emailed a company (don't remember which one) asking them what the cost of shipping a body to New Brunswick is, and they said it will be $625, not including the body :eek: and shipping to Maine- $125-175. So to cross the border they want an extra $500. So Im going to see about getting it shipped to a friends us mail address, and driving it accross the border. Its sick how they want so much for shipping to Canada.

raze44 said:
So I emailed a company (don't remember which one) asking them what the cost of shipping a body to New Brunswick is, and they said it will be $625, not including the body :eek: and shipping to Maine- $125-175. So to cross the border they want an extra $500. So Im going to see about getting it shipped to a friends us mail address, and driving it accross the border. Its sick how they want so much for shipping to Canada.

I guess CAFTA and NAFTA were not meant for the little guys.

Gee if I was feeling shifty...I might take some extra orders from likeminded canucks, tack on a 100 dollar processing fee each and deliver some much needed tbucket parts to my canuck brothers. But then again thats illegal and Im not one for breaking the law.

raze44 said:

I don't even want to start to try to figure out how much shipping would be for me. :eek::eek::eek:

haha, to hawaii...... $1.05 million. Isnt Hawaii the furthest island(s) away from any continents after Easter Island? I dont know...just a useless fact rolling around in my noggin

Have it smuggled in a crate marked SPAM. My cousins sis in law is from hawaii...she told me what they paid for a real christmas tree one year...like 600 bucks WTF! She was mad when I told her I paid 21 bucks for mine lol

yeah, I think any extra, crazy fees you would have to pay to live in Hawaii, would be worth it just to be able to live there. Id kill for no snow right now.

Hey raze, here's something I posted on how to avoid getting ripped-off by ridiculous brokerage fees. Maybe it will come in useful when you start ordering from the states.
http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/f17/canadians-ordering-us-save-brokerage-fees-2408/

It doesn't address the unreasonable shipping costs, but the way around that is to find someone in your neck of the woods that has a drop box just on the US side of the border and periodically makes deliveries. He pays the taxes at customs and you reimburse him for the taxes and whatever fee he charges for his time and gas. It might take a little digging to find someone, but they do exist and are generally quite reasonable.

Also, from my experience, you can save a bundle on shipping if you can convince suppliers to use the US Postal Service.

all-world1 said:
Also, from my experience, you can save a bundle on shipping if you can convince suppliers to use the US Postal Service.

I'll second that. I've sold bits and pieces to folks all over the world and I only use the US Postal Service for shipping. In most cases it's less than half the price of UPS or FedEx and you have complete control over the package value at the time of shipping. This has a huge effect on the duty fees for the person at the other end. A little risky sending something out with a true value of a few hundred bucks that you claim is only worth 50 bucks at the time of ship. But most people will take the chance to save what can be almost 50 percent added to the purchase price in duty alone.

Just my two cents.

yeah, I order alot of stuff from the states, and I try to avoid UPS & FedEx like the plague. Im really itching to get something started. Im kinda broke right now because I havent had any work, but things are picking up again, and my hand is pretty well healed. Im going to try to pick up the motor and rear end that Ive been offered, and rebuild those while Im saving money for the body. In all honesty, would it be better to order a chassis, and add another 1000$ to the project, but have the peace of mind that it wont fall apart, or should I buid it (with adult supervision:lol:) and get a certified welder (not my friends dad, or anything) to finish it up. Also, I heard that in order to build your own frame, you must get it certified. Is this true? Where do I get this done, and how much will it set me back? I would like to build my own chassis, Id get a sense of self accomplishment everytime I drove it, rather than just something I payed for. How do you set up a jig for welding the frame? Is it something a shop could easily do? Do you use steel, or can you make one out of wood? Ive got alot of questions, thanks for not getting annoyed.....

raze44 said:
yeah, I order alot of stuff from the states, and I try to avoid UPS & FedEx like the plague. Im really itching to get something started. Im kinda broke right now because I havent had any work, but things are picking up again, and my hand is pretty well healed. Im going to try to pick up the motor and rear end that Ive been offered, and rebuild those while Im saving money for the body. In all honesty, would it be better to order a chassis, and add another 1000$ to the project, but have the peace of mind that it wont fall apart, or should I buid it (with adult supervision:lol:) and get a certified welder (not my friends dad, or anything) to finish it up. Also, I heard that in order to build your own frame, you must get it certified. Is this true? Where do I get this done, and how much will it set me back? I would like to build my own chassis, Id get a sense of self accomplishment everytime I drove it, rather than just something I payed for. How do you set up a jig for welding the frame? Is it something a shop could easily do? Do you use steel, or can you make one out of wood? Ive got alot of questions, thanks for not getting annoyed.....
I think i would ask Youngster those questions.Not that the rest of the guys here cant help you but he does alot of frames and frame work.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back