Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I want a simple rat rod

raze44

I tried posting a thread on here a few weeks ago, but I cant find it, so Im guessing that it wasnt successful. Anyway, I want to build a super basic Tbucket, that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Im only 15, so I don't have a huge budget. I figure that I can make most of the frame myself (with the help of a welder of course). From what Ive read on some sights, It looks pretty inexpensive to make one out of 2x4 steel. The body, Ill probably get from Top Performance, unless you guys have any other Ideas. I want a small engine, probably a 302, and supposedly I can have my dad's cousin's old ford 9inch rear end if I want it. I just need some direction on where to go with this project; I am mechanically inclined, so I know my way around a car. One question I have, is if I should start building the frame up as soon as I have the cash, or should I wait until I can get everything at once. I want it to be a ratrod, so Ill be able to save money on expensive paint, interior, rims, chrome etc. I also wanted to know if its possible to have the body sitting over the frame rails, so its nice and low. One last question; where is the best place to find smoothie rims? I tried coker, but they didn't seem to have what I was looking for. I like the ones that are really narrow, but have a large diameter. I would really appreciate any help you guys have to offer.

Thanks

raze44 said:
I tried posting a thread on here a few weeks ago, but I cant find it, so Im guessing that it wasnt successful. Anyway, I want to build a super basic Tbucket, that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Im only 15, so I don't have a huge budget.

Your message posted and a lot of people responded welcoming you to the board.

I figure that I can make most of the frame myself (with the help of a welder of course). From what Ive read on some sights, It looks pretty inexpensive to make one out of 2x4 steel. The body, Ill probably get from Top Performance, unless you guys have any other Ideas. I want a small engine, probably a 302, and supposedly I can have my dad's cousin's old ford 9inch rear end if I want it. I just need some direction on where to go with this project; I am mechanically inclined, so I know my way around a car. One question I have, is if I should start building the frame up as soon as I have the cash, or should I wait until I can get everything at once. I want it to be a ratrod, so Ill be able to save money on expensive paint, interior, rims, chrome etc. I also wanted to know if its possible to have the body sitting over the frame rails, so its nice and low.
Channeling is the way most if not all t-buckets are built

One last question; where is the best place to find smoothie rims? I tried coker, but they didn't seem to have what I was looking for. I like the ones that are really narrow, but have a large diameter.
Google Pete Paulson or Stockton Wheel

I would really appreciate any help you guys have to offer.

Thanks
PM me with your email address

Rule #1 Don't build a frame until you have a body.

Had a friend mock up a frame with some really thin C Channel and his bucket body, allowed him to make all the changes he needed before building the real frame.

Rule #2, just because you don't spend a lot of money on something doesn't mean it's a Rat Rod.

It's a hot rod. Bare bones, no flash or frills, no fluff or fru fru ... just a hot rod.

Rule #3 Build what you want but make it safe.

Seriously, make it the way YOU want it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks - make it SAFE.

Rule #4. HAVE FUN.

Rule #5 and this is the most important rule... THERE ARE NO RULES.

wait... what?

Ive tried to stay out of this ratrodding thing. I used to belong to a couple ratrod sites, and even thought I wanted one at one point. When ratrods went from a driveable barn find or the antithesis of the high buck "Boydster" to "lets-build-something-halfassed-and-dangerous" I got off that ride. T-ODDs ride is awesome, but its SAFE. There was a guy on the olskoolrodz and HAMB sites that tried to build a rat rod with a slime green and white caddy motor and about 600 mismatched junk parts. you shouldnt really reuse 50yr old fasteners, you really shouldnt be building your frame without a jig, or out of like .088 wall tubing. Also, at least have the brains to check your frame for squareness...and if its NOT square, try to not be so lazy as this guy was and leave it that way.
Heres the thing. whatever you build doesn't just affect YOU. Yeah yeah "its my car I'll build what I want" Well when one of his popcorn welds lets go, and that car turns into a plow, and lets say wipes out some soccermom van; A) you really think he has enough insurance to cover his own butt and B) you think this tattooed miscreant in a Tshirt and trucker hat is going to really evoke the judges sympathy? NEIN! It aint gonna happen. Eventually someones ratrod is really going to hurt someone. If you like the looks of flat black, rusted engines and zoomies made out of plumbing odds and ends, thats your gig. but PLEASE dont make it unsafe for the sake of being a rebel. Im in my mid 20s, Im not some old fart (sorry Youngster) but I can tell you when the rat rod fad dies, and youre trying to undo it to make a "period correct" late 50s T...dont say I didnt warn ya. Be the young kid that builds hot looking traditional HOT RODS that drive straight, ride nice, and are a slap in the face to all the junk rodders.

Sorry I got on my soapbox. Build it your way...but build it SAFE, and have FUN with it A lot of ratrodders will tell you how guys did it "back in the day"...and theyre 20 and on the internet so they should know. Listen to the greybeards here that built Ts in the 60s 70s and 80s...ask questions and try to think outside of flat black and tractor grills...be different

I can agree with TheAntiBoyd on about 99% of what he says. Just never thought of Youngster as an old fart. Also, there is nothing wrong with tractor grilles, if they are used tastefully and work with the theme.

Im not into the rat rod scene bacause Im rebellious or anything. In fact, Im probably one of the least rebellious and most mature teenager in my school. Of course I would not slap a car together half arsed, and call it a rat rod. Im all about quality. And not to mention I would have to get it inspected every year. I totally understand your point though. Driving a poorly maintained/built car around would be no different than driving wrecklessly; and nothing makes me more mad than a wreckless driver, trying to show off to his/her punk friends. By the time I really get the project underway, Ill have changed my mind a hundred times, Its hard to say what Ill want, it may turn out a show rod.

dont sweat it raze....my dad and I agonized over his paint chip books for EVER finally it was like the clouds parted...we both saw the same chip and said THATS it! Then we had to pick the 2nd color...LOL UGH but its worth it. Im glad to see you want to build it lean and strong. look at lots of pics, ask questions and try to pick a theme. A word of advice; when I had my 72 camaro on the road in primer and bondo, with a 383SB and a 4spd (soon to be a 700r4 though), my lil girlfriend had trouble appreciating a car with roll down windows, no heat, basically open headers and skinny front tires with 2 piece rims that never stayed tight. If you decide to chase the fairer sex, I sure hope you have a daily driver coming your way my man...cuz a T with no top isnt exactly a 4 season car for most people. You might want to think about putting an Ad in the swap papers around your neighborhood for someones half finished or old bucket "Im interested in that T bucket parked in the corner of your garage for the past 20yrs." At least you'll have all the hard parts, you'll have to disassemble it anyway, so you'll definitely learn how to do things right. AND if you can score a big block one for a grand, sell the motor, spoked wheels, prostreet rims and do it your way; or leave it alone, paint it and snug everything down

My friend Hanley had an 85 camaro Z28. EFI 350 swap in it and he drove that underpowered pig EVERYWHERE with girls in the back, while I was busy sorting out ignition problems and setting valves on the solid lifter cam I just HAD to have along with saving nickels to put gas in it for the week (93 octane or higher please)

PS check TfeverFreds build...its good stuff on a lowbuck, lean and mean T
Nate

I've built a half dozen buckets, the last one I bought the plans from CCR cause I had a Jag rear end and they give you the patterns. their basic frame is simple but they do not inlude E brake bracket, seatbelt. fuel tank mount, trans cooler . radiator etc mount plans, that stuff I made patterns and did my own. with their plans a reg T body will fit.

Just my 2 cents but I HATE the phrase Rat Rod, If a car was built like this in the past I rarely saw it. Most everyone I knew did the best they could with what money, time, and skills they had. Normally engine and drive train won out over paint and interior but everyone I knew had a wish list and it wasn't gluing crap on the car and never cleaning the beast up. That said, a T makes a great high school shop project, metal ain't cheap but it can be done. And I too think you need a body before you start ,it keeps you from making too many changes. Ask questions, learn to weld, ask questions, check out other cars, and did I say ask questions.

Randall

As far as the term "Rat Rod" goes... I've been riding Rat Bikes as long as I've been riding - and it just occurred to me that it's been damn near 35 years now - whoo I'm getting old.

I've never had (actually, never had a need to have) a fancy shiny motorcycle. People called my scoots "rat bikes" for years.

Now everyo0ne and their mother wants to call my hotrod a "ratrod" and you can't buy a rusty old hunk of junk for little to nothing because it's on ebay for two grand and the keyword is "ratrod"... I'm sick of it.

People used to be able to build gow jobs, jalopies, cheap hot rods from crap parts that nobody wanted. Now it'll cost you an arm and a leg just to get a BODY that is halfway salvageable.

But I digress.

Dad showed me some old pictures a long time ago of a cartoon he painted on all his friend's cars (and a boat also) of a drunk Rat, XX in his eyes, dragging an old bottle of hooch, whilst indicating you are "number ONE" with a certain finger (associated with a winged animal). IONTSUM or something like that was written across the top. Dad said it was pronounced "EYE-ONT-SOME" and I didn't understand that until I hit puberty.

Dad said they built a bunch of stuff out of everyone else's throwaways. They had some good running stuff, and everyone talks about how dad would (drunk as a skunk and full of P!$$ and vinegar) kick everyone's butt drag racing with a crappy old station wagon.

Not that they called their jalopies "rat rods" but more like "Rat Traps."

Hung o Junk, Piece of $#!+, whatever.

It's late and I just ate a big ol' Baskin Robbins Brownie Sunday with hot fudge, Chocolate ice cream, etc.

You wrote...I want to build a super basic Tbucket, that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Im only 15, so I don't have a huge budget.
Well my friend, that is how it all started for me also... As most shops wanted way too much money, and i am good with my hands, probably you are too... Sounds like it... I did build mine from scratch, but after becoming partners with Dick fletcher, a street rod builder from the old days, and a very good one at that. I learned a lot from Him, I must say. Thanks fletch, May You always RIP..
Anyway, Buying a used or started project, used being probably the cheapest way in the long run, because you will have most every part you will need, mif it has been driving at least a time or two. and there are a lot of parts, no need for trans coolers, chrome or fancy uph, or even fancy paint, trick alum. wheels, some fancy/trick wheels can cost almost as much as a whole used car.. hehe Same goes for trick Brass radiators.. these things are all jewelry! may be nice to have, but not NEEDED at all for a real fun and a safe ride!
Once you have found a complete USED hotrod {T bucket}, and there are tons of them just laying around in people's garages.. put an ad in your home town paper, you will be surprised at what you may find.. If I had a used rod and was not wanting to use it any more, and a nice young fellow like you wanted to get started, I would make you a deal you could not refuse, maybe even give it away, get my drift?? Back to this story of dreams to be... Once you have a ride in your garage, get an older friend or friends, to come over and look it all over real good.. or take many pics and post them for lots of comments back at ya on what you have, be it good or crap! The only crap would probably be the frame? or suspension, steering, brakes, etc. that is the most important parts.. if the frame is not good, then you would be best off the replace it with a solid, proper new frame.. with a good frame and suspension system, you now have all the rest of the parts to put back on and be running with a nice safe to drive rod.. i have told many a customer, that had an old T bucket, and they wanted me to build them a completely new car, to just get my frame and suspension, a rolling chassis, complete, then repaint and such all their old parts/body, whatever and they would save a TON of MONEY... as all the small parts will nickel dime you to DEATH! If you have any questions, e-mail me if you like or talk here, but at times it is easier to e-mail photos... Best of Luck to You on your quest to ride the very BEST ride of your life! NOTHING beats a TBucket for all around fun and public appeal, from 9 to 99 all love TBuckets.. Right guys?? please pardon the miss spelled words or wrong hit keys.. hehe

i have told many a customer, that had an old T bucket, and they wanted me to build them a completely new car, to just get my frame and suspension, a rolling chassis, complete, then repaint and such all their old parts/body, whatever and they would save a TON of MONEY.. quote from teds post.

this is buy far the cheapest way for you to have the car of your dreams. the only thing i would add to this is, "don;t through or sell any of the parts till you r car is done. if you do, you will end up looking for the very thing you just got rid of." another thing to keep in mind with your first build is, KISS (keep it simple son)!!!! Sorry Al!!

Ron

Al... how can you be the brown loafers at a black tie affair? You're the guy in the Armani Tuxedo at the square dance LOL. We're just a bunch of poor hillbillies trying to have some fun with what we got to work with.

You might be dressed for the Waltz or the Foxtrot, but you can dance with us too... but beware, some of it might rub off on you!

Before too long he'll go from "Pardon me Sir, have you taken notice of that gentleman's modified automobile?" to being barefoot in overalls, a little bottle of Tennessee Moonshine Corn Liquor Whiskey in the pocket, saying things like "Hey Bubba, you see Billy Jo Jim Bob's big ol' truck lately? He done dun it up right uh huh!"

Oh, and Al... you should fly out to the NATS. I promise you'll have fun.

I'll try to save you a little of that Tennessee Moonshine Corn Liquor Whiskey.

Well shoot, if'n they's gonna be squeezins there I might has to shows up.

Do I need a T'buggit to partake of said corn squeezins? I was a sous chef...I can make a mean spread for yall.

Back to simple hotrods...buy a neglected T (check out T4Two's thread on his bucket) and build a safe bareknuckles rod that drives straight. Yank the body off and paint it with some paint from NAPA or even Lacquer from duplicolor. Use a smallblock with a hydraulic camshaft (I hated adjusting valvelash after about a month on my solid lifter car) When you get to painting it, let me know, I have a nice spray gun I'll send you. No jokes, no strings attached. One caveat though, you gotta keep it and pass it on to the next young kid thats in your position. Same rules as when I got it from my Dad.
Its a Sharpe Titanium and I have inherited plenty of Junque` from dear old dad. Its a horse and eats air, but its yours if you get that far and still want it.
Heres the old camaro before and after

I have about a gallon and a half of Apple Pie left. IF I can find another gallon of Apple Cider I'll probably cook up another couple of gallons of Pie before the NATS.

Apple Cider's hard to find around here and if I make my Apple Pie with only apple Juice it just doesn't taste right.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back