Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Iconic abuse

Spanky

Staff member
I have been made aware of a story of elder abuse which victimized iconic hotrodder Gene Winfield who is in his nineties and lives in Cody, Wyoming. Apparently his "care giver" beat him within an inch of his life landing him in the hospital a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it looks like he will recover, but what a nightmare for someone who has given so much to our hobby. He still gives workshops on metal working. Please keep him in your prayers. There are a lot of unanswered questions about how this could happen without awareness of family or friends. The caregiver (I use the term sarcastically) has been arrested.

Attachments

• Winfield.jpg
    Winfield.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Winfield abuser.jpg
    Winfield abuser.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Getting old sucks. Having to rely on anyone for help is dehumanizing for those of us who have prided ourselves on being self sufficient and providing for others. Having to endure such abuse is unconscionable and I hope the punishment is adequately miserable for the POS who took advantage of a elderly person that they were likely paid to care for.

Well, that article sheds some new light on things, but I'm reserving my judgment until more facts are known. Regardless, the severe beating of a 96-year-old man is heinous and inhumane and should be punished severely. Mr. Winfield's involvement in the scenario - whether coerced or not - is something which needs answers, and I trust those will be forthcoming in the mainstream automotive press. In the meantime, my prayers continue for Gene and his family.

Last edited:
Well, that article sheds some new light on things, but I'm reserving my judgment until more facts are known. Regardless, the severe beating of a 96-year-old man is heinous and inhumane and should be punished severely. Mr. Winfield's involvement in the scenario - whether coerced or not - is something which needs answers, and I trust those will be forthcoming in the mainstream automotive press. In the meantime, my prayers continue for Gene and his family.
I agree 100%. I grew up reading articles that Gene wrote and that were about Gene and his work. He is a legend. I'm keeping him in my prayers.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back