Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ignition Question

Tyus

So I lost my key to my car and got no spare when I bought it. So i decided to just put in a new ignition. Replaced it with basically the same one. One of those universal dash ignitions that was like $10. So I wired it up the same as the old one. One of the problems is, its turning over in the run position rather than when you turn it all the way and it goes back to run position. Besides that, it wont start either. It is a 3 terminal ignition plus one in the center. So I switched the center wire to the empty battery terminal and once again the car turned over in the run position but it started up. but the starter is staying engaged the whole time its running til you shut it off. Any help? Never messed with this stuff before and figured just wire the new one , the same as the old

If it helps...The original ignition had 3 wires going to the ignition terminal...2 going to ACC.... Then one going to the center terminal.. So thats how I wired up the new one

Unhook everything but the bat. feed, w/test lite find which term. is hot only in start position, which are hot in run, which is hot in access.
If you're lucky, you should be able to trace by color code the wire to the solenoid, hook that to the start terminal, other wires go to. run & access. depending on what you want on access.[access. is hot in run position also,but run position term. is not hot in access. position. hope this helps.. dave

Unhook everything but the bat. feed, w/test lite find which term. is hot only in start position, which are hot in run, which is hot in access.
If you're lucky, you should be able to trace by color code the wire to the solenoid, hook that to the start terminal, other wires go to. run & access. depending on what you want on access.[access. is hot in run position also,but run position term. is not hot in access. position. hope this helps.. dave
Good advice. The 12V feed from the battery is very likely the centre terminal. The control to the coil is connected in both the "on" and "start" positions, and the starter solenoid is energised when you turn the key against the spring.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back