Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Internet Explorer 7 Support

Mike

Unless you're living in a cave, you are likely aware that Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 has been in Beta for a few months. And the word from Microsoft is that we will soon be seeing a final or supported release.

Be aware that once Internet Explorer 9 has been released in a supported version, Invision Power Board support for Internet Explorer 7 will begin to be phased out.

This will be a gradual phase-out, based on the general market share and adoption rate of Internet Explorer 8 and Internet Explorer 9, versus Internet Explorer 7. So don't expect to see IE7 support being dropped outright. However, reported issues that are IE7-specific will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, depending on the severity of the issue. And minor, cosmetic issues or lacks of functionality that are IE7-specific will not be addressed.

What this is saying is if you are currently running IE7 as your browser of choice, you need to start upgrading. IE7 is already one supported version behind the pack and will soon be two versions behind. I make no secret of the fact I do not care for Internet Explorer, but I have been running the IE9 Beta since its September 15th release and have found it to be a wonderful step forward on Microsoft's part. It is still a Beta release, but I have found it to be solid as a rock. If you're running IE7 on a Windows XP machine, you really need to upgrade to IE8. If you're running IE8 on a Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 machine, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to IE9 Beta.

I recognize this will bring on much moaning, groaning, rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth, but it is what it is. The Web is evolving, new coding methods are being adopted and the new browsers are being coded to work with these changes. If you prefer to stubbornly cling to the past, that is certainly your choice to make. But you will have to be willing to accept there are going to be features and functions you will not be able to enjoy on this and many other Web sites.

If the software upgrade process was actually difficult, I might be able to work up some sympathy for those of you running IE7. If later versions of IE actually cost you money to upgrade, I might be able to work up some sympathy for those of you running IE7. The fact of the matter is you can go here to download IE8 or go here to download IE9, click a button to download the installers and then run the installers to upgrade. It's absolutely free and painless. And for those of you running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 who feel Internet Explorer is the bee's knees, I really recommend you go for the gusto and install IE9. It will never be my browser of choice, but I now feel Microsoft at least has a player in the browser market.

Please be aware that Windows XP users will not be able to run Internet Explorer 9. It will require Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows 7 to be installed.

I assume Firefox is still OK? I do accept all updates from them so its current
Gerry

I have always recommended Firefox to all my users on all my sites. As long as you allow updates, you will always be at fighting weight with it.

I was just doing some testing and am typing this from Windows Safari, but as soon as I reach a point where I can, I will slip back into Iceweasel 4.0 Beta 7 on my Mint Debian machine. I've used Firefox since the old Phoenix and Firebird days, before it was called Firefox, and I know I can count on it. It can be a bit of a memory hog, but this box has 8 gig of memory, so who would ever notice?

And now, Google has announced it is dropping support for older browsers.

For this reason, soon Google Apps will only support modern browsers. Beginning August 1st, we’ll support the current and prior major release of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version is released, we’ll begin supporting the update and stop supporting the third-oldest version.

As of August 1st, we will discontinue support for the following browsers and their predecessors: Firefox 3.5, Internet Explorer 7, and Safari 3. In these older browsers you may have trouble using certain features in Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Docs and Google Sites, and eventually these apps may stop working entirely.

Read more...

Some of the features and functions in Gmail and Google Docs require browsers capable of supporting HTML5. Like it or not, I think we're going to be seeing more of these changes coming in the next few months. One can only wonder about the hundreds of networks still using Internet Explorer 6, when so many applications are already removing support for IE7.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back