Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

It finallly happened...

benT

Well what a night....I finally got stranded in my '27 Here is my sad story:

Since we are leaving next week for the event in Somerset, I decided since I haven't had the '27 out much since I switched the fuel pump, I decided to ger her out for a quick spin. I got about half a mile from the shop and the motor just flat died. I tried restarting with no avail. Unfortunately I was between an on and off ramp to a highway with no shoulder...a terrible place to be. I was able to push it over to a small area just before the on ramp and out of traffic. Checked spark...yep. Checked fuel pressure...yep. Tried it again...nope but smells like its flooded. I called the old man who just happened to be at wally world, so he bought a tow strap and headed towards my location.:) I glance off to the north...its looking real dark and stormy...uh oh! I start scanning my options...there was a gas station across the street at the end of the block, but there was a median and 6 lanes of traffic to cross...gulp. Luckily a young guy stopped and asked if he could help me---he and his dad have built a few rods and he understood my delima. We got a good break in traffic and we were able to push it across the 3 lanes and do a quick U-turn...a semi driver was gracious enough to hold up traffic while we crossed that 3 lanes of traffic...A block of fast pushing and I thought I was going to have a heart attack!!. Finally got it to the gas station (A BP--I guess I can't boycott them anymore!) and waited for the old man. I took the grill shell off so the tow strap wouldn't tear it off. Meanwhile the storm got to me and just as Dad pulled up it started lightning and raining cats and dogs....crap! the rain finally let up after 20 minutes and away we went. Unfortunately the let up was brief and halfway back it really poured. It was a surreal feeling being towed in the dark hard rain with no engine sound... Got it back to the shop safe but really wet... luckily the car and I won't melt.

It appears that one of the carbs has a stuck float. I got the engine to refire but it was clearly burning raw fuel. Luckily I have a new carb rebuild kit handy, so looks like I'll be rebuilding it tomorrow... Gotta get a few miles on this thing before I leave for KY. This was the first time that the car has left me stranded. I guess I cannot blame anyone but me--I failed to use any Stabil or start it while it sat all winter.

Well there is my sob story...it'll be funny tomorrow I guess!! Gotta give props to the dude who helped me push it and to Dad who dropped everything to help me out of a jamb...guess I'd better get him something good on Friday!

Sorry for your trouble and glad you got it resolved with no injuries (or heart attacks).

I've been in similar situations before and now I make sure I have towing coverage on all my vehicles as part of my regular insurance. It's usually pretty cheap and gives you peace of mind. Just make sure you have a cell phone.

Mike

Glad all worked out pretty easily for you.

If you were getting rain like we had up here in Lafayette, I'm surprised the T didn't fill up. It's never a good night to break down on the road, but last night was really a bad one. And it appears you got pasted with another line of storms around 5:30 - 6:00 AM this morning.

I'm happy to hear you managed to sort the problem and that it's not going to require a lot of money/effort to repair.

Glad all worked out pretty easily for you.

Yeah, All in all, it wasn't so bad...just irks me that something like that'll strand you... I guess I've gotten spoiled i the last 10 years when I've been driving fairly new cars with no issue. In high school and college when I was driving my '68 Cougar or old truck, it wasn't a big deal when I ran into some car issue---there was always a buddy or something...now that I'm in my mid-thirties, It's just...well different. Luckily my girl was not with me, or one more level of "complexity" would have been there. Oh well...Its almost funny now.

Well, Gotta get into the shop and start pulling carbs! Gonna make somerset or else!

Yeah, All in all, it wasn't so bad...just irks me that something like that'll strand you... I guess I've gotten spoiled i the last 10 years when I've been driving fairly new cars with no issue. In high school and college when I was driving my '68 Cougar or old truck, it wasn't a big deal when I ran into some car issue---there was always a buddy or something...now that I'm in my mid-thirties, It's just...well different. Luckily my girl was not with me, or one more level of "complexity" would have been there. Oh well...Its almost funny now.

Well, Gotta get into the shop and start pulling carbs! Gonna make somerset or else!

I hate being stranded too. Last week I was sitting in town with the T, waiting for the starter solenoid to cool down. :)

Update---Took both carbs apart for inspection and the front one (secondary carb) had some water and a bunch of junk in it---the check valve ball was stuck...which explains why it was dumping in fuel in at idle. Got the back one cleaned and the front one rebuilt...runs good now. Also diagnosed another fuel issue I was having. The fuel gauge would show 6-7 psi then it kept going down...I just replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the lines, new fuel filter and reworked the baffling in the tank over the winter...Needless to say I was frustrated.
bt.gif
It still ran ok so I started thinking the gauge was suspect. Dad had an old aircraft fuel pressure gauge, so we whipped up an adapter and yep--its showing a consistent 7-8psi or so. Guess I got get a new gauge today...no more Summit made in China junk!

Update---Took both carbs apart for inspection and the front one (secondary carb) had some water and a bunch of junk in it---the check valve ball was stuck...which explains why it was dumping in fuel in at idle. Got the back one cleaned and the front one rebuilt...runs good now. Also diagnosed another fuel issue I was having. The fuel gauge would show 6-7 psi then it kept going down...I just replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the lines, new fuel filter and reworked the baffling in the tank over the winter...Needless to say I was frustrated.
bt.gif
It still ran ok so I started thinking the gauge was suspect. Dad had an old aircraft fuel pressure gauge, so we whipped up an adapter and yep--its showing a consistent 7-8psi or so. Guess I got get a new gauge today...no more Summit made in China junk!

7-8 lb might be a tad high. could be making it hard for even a good float valve to hold.
just a thought.

Russ

7-8 lb might be a tad high. could be making it hard for even a good float valve to hold.
just a thought.

Russ

Russ you are right on. The Edelbrocks say to use 5.5psi, The gauge I was using for a temporary gauge was an aircraft gauge that went pretty high...I don't think its real accurate at low pressures...I was mainly concerned that it was holding pressure. I picked up a new gauge today and will get it on tomorrow. If I need to, I'll put a regulator on it.---. If it is really that high, it could be causing my carb issues and I'll need a regulator. Since this is a new fuel pump it could be a possibility. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks!

On my first drive when I finished the Tub T, I got about a block away, headed back home, and ran out of gas at the entrance to our alley. I could NOT figure out how I could be that low, when I had only driven a mile. Guess it burns a lot just idling and adjusting!

Then, on our first cruise, with Crashman, his wife, and his son in the back seat, we got about 3 blocks and it quit running. I coasted into a gas station.

Plenty of gas.

But the fuel pump wasn't running. We put in a jumper wire, got it running again, and took the switch out of the circuit.

Ah, adventures.

Ended up taking apart the primary carb...it was fouling out the right side plugs. The metering rod on that side was bent, so it was dumping fuel in at all times--- got it straightened out and back together in time to leave for Somerset. Edelbrock tech is sending me 2 new ones gratis---they were pretty helpful in diagnosing and willing to send new ones. What will happen when they sell out and I have to talk to some guy in India who's never seen a carburetor in person? :rolleyes:

Runs great now and the cruise from Indy to Somerset was smooth!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back