Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jag rear end question

gfigms

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I have a set of plans from CCR that show the installation of a Jag rear end in the T-Bucket. Plan Set 3 page 6 calls for the making of a "Rear Shackle Bar" ... dog bone in shape and about 10 inches long. What the heck does it do? Where does it attach to or what attaches to it?

Explanation or pictures or both would be a big help!

I have a set of plans from CCR that show the installation of a Jag rear end in the T-Bucket. Plan Set 3 page 6 calls for the making of a "Rear Shackle Bar" ... dog bone in shape and about 10 inches long. What the heck does it do? Where does it attach to or what attaches to it?

Explanation or pictures or both would be a big help!

It goes between the bottom arms (lower control arms, called dog bones in the UK) just below and across the bottom of the diff and is designed to tie the rear end suspension pivots on the backside of the diff. So long as you keep the hole centers the same you can have any design you want. Ive seen all sorts of fancy things done with this 'tie bar' just use your imagination. Sorry cant show you a picture as the design of mine eliminates the need for a separate tie bar .

Im sure someone will post pics of the standard Jag IRS with it in full view.

gerry

Milt, here is a CAD drawing George Barnes did when he was getting set up to fab my Jag mounts. The labels are the terminology I use... you will hear other terms for the various parts, such as "shackle bar." The purpose of the two tie bars is add strength to the lower mounts for the lower control arms, also called wishbones. That is where the majority of the load from driving the tires is transmitted to the chassis. The front tie bar is connected to pinion struts that transfer the torque load (axle wrap) from the pinion snout to the frame.

CADlabels.jpg

Here's pic of the back of my T during construction. You can see the shackle/tie bar below the diff cover. It attaches to the ends of the pivot shafts that the lower control arms swing on.

090107040.jpg

It goes between the bottom arms (lower control arms, called dog bones in the UK) just below and across the bottom of the diff and is designed to tie the rear end suspension pivots on the backside of the diff. So long as you keep the hole centers the same you can have any design you want. Ive seen all sorts of fancy things done with this 'tie bar' just use your imagination. Sorry cant show you a picture as the design of mine eliminates the need for a separate tie bar .

Im sure someone will post pics of the standard Jag IRS with it in full view.

gerry

There you go. told you someone would come up with a pic.

Thanks Lee, youre a 'god sends' with your Cad drawings. I would have had to find pics of the original, my set up and explain the difference..

By the way we call the pinion struts... tie bars and if pushed 'diff tie bars' One thing is NOT to mount then at 45* to the chassis in the vertical plain and 45* in the horizontal. If you do they WILL bend. You need 60* or as close as you can get in the horizontal and vertical. Comes from experience over the last 30 years. Dont take my word for it try it and see....
G

Here's pic of the back of my T during construction. You can see the shackle/tie bar below the diff cover. It attaches to the ends of the pivot shafts that the lower control arms swing on.

090107040.jpg

[/quote]

lee
I have never figured out why someone has not played with this. there is sooooo much freedom to do wild things but no one seems to have bothered.
What about one that ties the pivots together, as it should do, but has a shaped top end that goes up over the the diff cover and has been profiled to give a 3D effect.
In other words take the top edge of the tie bar, extend it up and over the diff cover, profile cut something in to it, and get a 3d (shadowed) look to the whole set up.

You could even extend it sideways and come up with some really trick shrouds for the discs and UJs.

Just my mind getting away from me again

What say you, buddy
Gerry

PS theres still something really nice about the original cast hub carriers.

Gerry, you are an artist and a craftsman... I am a mere mechanic. I have no imagination... nothing on my T is an original idea. I am envious of your build, but I could never do anything like it without a creative person helping me.

Gerry, you are an artist and a craftsman... I am a mere mechanic. I have no imagination... nothing on my T is an original idea. I am envious of your build, but I could never do anything like it without a creative person helping me.

OK lee

Stop this NOW.

I have learned from your posts and gained knowledge from what you have said. Its a 2 way street my friend. We both benefit from each other. Thats a FORUM. or at least its what a forum should be.

As a wise old man told me.... Knowledge is USELESS unless its passed on

G

That picture is exactly what I needed ... thanks guys!

I had thought of mounting the emergency brake calipers off the front tie bar. My assembly came without the stock e-brake. Any thoughts?

Ron

Ron,

I have made a few of these for using a go-kart caliper on the nose of the Jag. The handle was from a Pinto if I remember correctly with a few modifications. They worked pretty well so long as they didn't chrome the rotor. The bracket welded to the housing. That ought to bring an outcry....but never had any trouble tigging them with some high dollar rod. The caliper was a floater and the disc was fixed. The side view shows that there is quite a bit of distance from the tie bar to the rotor.

EmergencyBrakeCaliperDisc.jpg
EmergencyBrakeHandle.jpg

Sorry, double post....can't even remember 30 seconds whether I'd hit the post button.

Also for got to mention that the setting handle mechanism is for mounting under the dash on the drivers side.

Lee i took you and Gs conversation and used it as lyrics and wrote a love song. Ha Ha All kidding aside both of your cars are show stoppers JMHO

GAB i wish someone would come up with an ebrake for the yoke on a GM rear dif. Most look like a franknstein experiment

here the way I did it on mine. Caliper is cable operated goKart caliper. I turned the disk up thick enough to put a V in the edge which will carry the belt for the alternator (mounted on the chassis side rail).
The lever was bought off that Bay thing. Its a all S Steel aftermarket piece for a Mini (as in Italian Job).
handbrake5.jpg
handbrake4.jpg
handbrake3.jpg
handbrake2.jpg
handbrake.jpg

Gerry

I was thinking more of using one of the Jag rotors with a cable operated caliper mounted off the tie bar.

Ron

I was thinking more of using one of the Jag rotors with a cable operated caliper mounted off the tie bar.

Ron

Could do that.
The only thing I think about is how much strain would be put on the mounting IF your brakes failed and you need to use the E brake to stop. You can bet if it ever happened you would pull the lever with almighty strength. JMHO

Gerry

Hmmmmm ... back to the drawing board

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back