Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jag. Rear end

HAceT

Hello, I'm needing any info on how to setup a Jag rear such as mounting it into a Touring T, and what gear ratio is usually in them. I have to scrap my rear that I was going to use from my Camaro and my Pickup and so now it is Jag time. That means that most of my rear brackets are now just spare parts for another T. Maybe I should of checked the rears first before making all them brackets and Radius Rods. :wall:Any information will be greatly appreciated. Pictures will be nice too.:pray:

GAB, where are you bud?

George did all the engineering and fabricating on my Jag installation. All I did was bolt stuff together. Do a search on this forum, cuz there have been some threads on Jags.

When I was looking for information, I found as many opinions as there where people expressing them. You will find some ideas in the tech cloud. I haven't built the car yet so I can't "It worked for me". Here's the mounts I came up with.

JagT001.jpg

JagT003.jpg

JagT002.jpg

Ron

And looking at the pics that youngster has posted don't forget the rods that attach to the out side of the control arms to the frame much like a radius rod. They will help keep every thing in place.:)

Opps! Sorry, I haven't made them yet. I'm waiting till I build a frame first.

That brings up a point of controversy. Some folks believe that since you are mounting the rear assembly directly to the chassis, instead of a rubber mount as in the Jags, you don't need those control bars. They were telling me that you have to retain the plate under the pinion housing.

Right or wrong, I will use the forward running control bars. I'm planning to use a urathene bushed end at the lower arm and a heim at the front. The arms will be mounted at the front to a cross member and 9-1/4" apart. The same distance as between the lower arms at the pinion housing. In essents forming an A arm. From what I've read, The nylon bushings that are available don't work as good as rubber or urathane in the control arms.

You are also going to find some will recommend only one coil over shock is needed on a T bucket. IMO, this puts an uneven load on the lower arms. I will run 2 per side.

Ron

Thanks everyone. That helps alot. Now I know where to start. Have I told you guys that I am really glad to of been told about this site by Exjunk. I posted the same question on the other site and NOT a Dang thing but views. :snooty: Man why did I join that site.

Ok.. as of now On the other site I have had 47 views and 0 responses. And as I can see I'm not the only one being ignored either. Maybe I need to tell him about this site.

The best thinking is look at all that leverage along with tires out there and the only way to hold it is with the radius rods just my thoughts.

I strongly agree Joe. My thought is that's looking for failure. I just wanted to give HAceT an idea of what he's going to find.

Ron

well I have a set of 10" rims and I checked the back space by placing them on the rear and they are about 1-1 1/2" from the knuckle. I plan to run a wide tire, let me rephrase that, I'd like to run a wide tire. I just want to make sure I have all the brackets and their locations in place. I don't know any other detail about the rear yet until this weekend. I need to have somewhere around 3.23-3.73 gears since that is what I have in the truck that I'm getting the motor from and it runs like a scalded dog.

Here's a picture of my 'rear end'....

rear.jpg

Sorry, I've not got any pictures of the brackets underneath. It's been narrowed to 55" and has uprated drive shafts (the weak part I think).

I suspect the position of the front tie rod mount is not correct (should be more inboard) but it has been like that for many years.

That's a great looking setup Pete. The thing that strikes me is the clean look of it. This is a good example of what can be done to detail the the Jag without spending a ton of money.

As for your forward running bars, I sometimes wonder if rights or wrongs aren't just a discussion of theory. Most of the time your suspension is in a neutral position. The only time These theories come into play is when the axle is at the extreme end of it's travel or articulation. If your set up rides good and dosen't wear parts out, it's all good in my book.

Ron

HAceT said:
Hello, I'm needing any info on how to setup a Jag rear such as mounting it into a Touring T, and what gear ratio is usually in them. I have to scrap my rear that I was going to use from my Camaro and my Pickup and so now it is Jag time. That means that most of my rear brackets are now just spare parts for another T. Maybe I should of checked the rears first before making all them brackets and Radius Rods. :wall:Any information will be greatly appreciated. Pictures will be nice too.:pray:

I emailed you a copy of the CCR plans which has all the templates to make all the brackets. Did you get it?

Yeah I got it but for some reason it had been locked by my Virus scan. I had a friend at work check it and it cleaned and opened ok. I don't know what it was but Thank You.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back