Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Model t frame question

barnbikes

Found a'26- '27 model T frame locally for pretty cheap.

can it be boxed and used for my bucket? I plan on running a ChevII 4 cyl., auto tranny and a s-10 rear.

Thanks

It's not worth all the trouble. You have warpage to worry about, all those holes to fill and you end up with a 80 some year old, fatigued frame.
Spend the $50 for a lenght of 1 1/2 x 3 tubing and be way ahead of the game.

Ron

Its a waste of resources. Its like polishing a turd . After its pollished its still a turd. JMO :thumb:

It's not worth all the trouble. You have warpage to worry about, all those holes to fill and you end up with a 80 some year old, fatigued frame.
Spend the $50 for a lenght of 1 1/2 x 3 tubing and be way ahead of the game.

Ron

Priced steel locally and it was $0.70 inch = $84 per side (10' pieces)

Priced steel locally and it was $0.70 inch = $84 per side (10' pieces)

wow.. that's expensive.
Any option to shop around?
I thought I paid a lot here but that's bad.
I think I paid 120-ish for a 24' length of 2X3 3/16th tubing this last summer.

I have an original frame that I could have used but by the time I boxed it (I've heard the old frame wouldn't take well to being welded to this new, recycled stuff) while trying to keep it straight and fix all the bad spots.. it was MUCH better to create a new one, using Youngster's plans that I modified to my needs (kick-ups and such). And it's strong.
Plus some restorer might want the original frame.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 49
I am not making lite of what u are doing. I know i am the same way if i can save a buck or use something i got on hand i will do it. I do know this EVERYTHING i purchased at a bargain that i was goin use to save money, i ended up selling on ebay or localy. Except for the corvair steering box i purchased. It boils down to what do we want our cars to look like when you are done.More important would anyone here let your teen son or daughter drive or ride in it. if we get on the highway and the nail we used to hold your steering shaft together causes a wreck with a family and some kids get hurt well that would be a bitch to live with. I have been on other boards and some of the sh*T they are building is not safe ,this isnt a dune buggy.I AM NOT saying anyone here or even suggesting its happening here just look at the quality and craftsmanship of the cars built here. I just know what i need to do to feel good about driving my car on the street. JMHO :thumb:

We offer a new frame for $300.00 made from 2x3x3/16 and one with all the brackets for the suspension and engine mounts for $500.00

Wow. Good deal!
If I could have had one here for that price I would have been happy. But the shipping, duty and taxes.. ouch.
I guess it's part of the cost of living in this part of the world. We are at the tip of nowhere.

If you check the supply yards, you can buy drop at a better price that full lenghts. Also it dose pay to shop around. 2 x 3 x 3/16''wall was $156 at one place and a mile down the road it was $96.

Ron

Also check the recycle places. There is a place I was introduced to, by a fellow I met on another board, that is a bottle exchange place. I asked him why I would be interested in that... he said they also do steel. :thumb:
He took me and we went in the back yard where they had NEATLY piled rows and rows of steel of all shapes and sizes. The price was awesome too.
Unfortunately for me it's 4 hours away and I only had my car. But I loaded the trunk. :)
So I guess shopping around and asking questions is what my point is.

But for 300 bucks!!! To have one all welded up? Hard to beat that if you can get if home reasonably. By the time you consider welding supplies, grinding discs, cut-off wheels, electricity, bandages and oh yes.. the time. PLUS the thing would be straight and true!!!
That's a steal in steel.

Tell the wife.. hmmm good luck with that one. :run:
You sound like your budget is just like mine. :hoist:

yes you can use it.
they did it then, you can do it now.
my buddy mark skipper has one that was built in 1962 and is still on the road today with an original T frame.

if you take your time and do it right you can pull it off.

i'm actually planning on using an original T frame as the basis for my mostly traditional build.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back