Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Most complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas

Looking at other sites, I've noticed some kits you get maybe more for the buck. But I believe because of the accessories Total Performance offers its worth the little extra you have to pay, just for the ease of attaching everything to the chassis and body. Right now that's my choice.

thomas

Thomas, I spent 30 years drag racing, so I've had my share of fabricating. I now live in a condo community and no longer have the place to be doing that any longer. However, I can still enjoy the assembly of a T, without the need for welders, tubing benders, etc.

So I am with you, the convenience of being able to assemble individually purchased parts is a huge selling point for me. And that is what led me to Total's package.

So Mike,

How long do you think it will be before you get you kit. And what kit are you thinking of.

thomas

Thomas, I put a deposit on a basic kit with the chrome option. Being a fellow of modest financial means, I am making payments to Total on the kit. I would love to have everything here today, but I've wanted one of Total's cars for over 20 years, so I know how to be patient. (I don't like it, but I know how to do it. :roll: )

The real story about this car is one that had Brian at Total chuckling about irony. I went through a divorce, 12 years ago, and had sole custody of my son. His mother was ordered to pay child support, but promised me I would never see a dime. Well, she got away with that for 11 years until the legal authorities caught up to her. And I am finally getting the back support she owed me (with interest, thank you very much).

We've all heard stories of the guy that had to sell his toys because of a divorce, but I'm the exception to the rule. I'm using the money from a divorce to buy a Total T. And can you just imagine the smile I will have on my face when I'm finally able to drive the car? It's all about patience.

Let's hope you can drive your son over to vist our exwife one day in what I believe will be a great car. Driving over to her home would be priceless.:roll: I'm excited for you.

thomas

What I liked about the Total catalog was that is was 75% bucket stuff with very good descriptions of the parts. The Spirit catalog is more like a pamphlet, but they are working to have a new one out.

Speedway LOOKED like they might have been cheaper, but they didn't have much and no details. Plus they sell a lot of things for a lot of cars. They didn't look ike the tech support would be there. Total was based on T Buckets and still is. That counts for a lot. So far, EVERYTHING fits.

California Custom Roadster was pics and prices. Nothing more and not much of that. No mention of tech support.

I think the reason Total's overall attraction is so high is the fact they have been doing this for over three decades.

I'm not completely familiar with everything Spirit has to offer, but it seems they are starting to build a following in the marketplace. I'm sure they will be just as solid after they have managed to get 30+ years of experience behind them.

I have been thinking about building a T Bucket and have gone back and forth between the Spirit and Total Performance kit. I currently have a T Bucket that I am thinking of selling in the near future to fund my only build. Any advice out there on building a kit? My main concern is getting into something too far and loosing interest in it. However, I really feel the need to design and build my own toy. Another concern is getting titled etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Both the Total kit and the Spirit seem to be good choices. I chose the Total because I had seen and read so much about their product. They also have a lot more options, their catalog is jammed packed with T stuff and the tech support has been awesome. Basicaly, just do your research on both and make your decision. Call them or go see them if you can, like Mike did.

As far as the titling, I called my DMV before I started and they gave me a nice short list of all the things I would need. Rule of thumb, take photos, get a rubbing of the chassis number and keep all your reciepts. Most state DMV's have a website that can be real helpful.

I also found that setting a realistic goal of what you want it to be when you are done is a good idea. The higher the goal, the easier it will be to get discouraged. Keep it simple. I'm going with a basic powerplant, a little chrome on the engine. I can always get fancier after she's done. I plan on doing my own interior and maybe the paint too. But above all, plan, plan and do research and ask questions! That's the one thing Brian at Total told me. If you ever have a doubt about what you are doing, call them and ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question! Heck, I believe they would try to help you no matter who you got your kit from.

Good luck!

Anyone thinking of building a T should buy Total Performances assembly manual no matter whos T you go with! Every single piece that goes into their T is laid out in blueprints you can build everything yourself right down to the tube front axle from their drawings if thats what you want to do.want to save money build what you can and buy what you can't I would recommend this book to anyone getting ready to build their first rod no matter what your building.It cost 25$ but it will be the best 25$ you ever spend on a rod project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back