Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Motor back together, first start, goofy idle timing advance

[QUOTE="
supercharger.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Built in intercooler as well. Deal.

Would also like to know what the problem was?

So Lee, what was the timing problem?

John

Well, I'm not sure. There wasn't anything obvious. I just kept tuning on it. Maybe breaking it in a little more by driving around helped. Got some more heat into the motor or something?!?!? Heck, I don't know. I'm tired of screwing with it!!

Only have about 100 miles on it, but so far so good, with one exception. Water pump is bad... squealing pretty good and coolant leaking out the weep hole. I have had a pump fail before. I think it's because of the strain of the v-belt. I have to run it very tight to keep the alternator pulley from squealing on start-up. I don't know if it's due to the low mount alternator or what, but it has always been a problem. Seriously thinking about going to a gilmer belt drive.

You might want to do a check on the pulley and belt size. Not all V belts are the same angle or width. I would not think you have enough battery drain to really load down the alternator. I like the Edelbrock water pumps. They are available in bright finish, bling, too.

Only have about 100 miles on it, but so far so good, with one exception. Water pump is bad... squealing pretty good and coolant leaking out the weep hole. I have had a pump fail before. I think it's because of the strain of the v-belt. I have to run it very tight to keep the alternator pulley from squealing on start-up. I don't know if it's due to the low mount alternator or what, but it has always been a problem. Seriously thinking about going to a gilmer belt drive.

Lee, if you are using an aluminum alternator pulley, I'd say that is the problem. Put a steel pully on and I bet it does the trick. Ask Cookieman?

Railroad, the belt seems to fit the pulleys well. I don't know how to determine the best fit. Bruce, the alternator pulley is chromed steel.

The belt only slips on the alternator until I rev the motor to bring the alternator on-line. The alternator is a Powermaster that is maybe five years old.

They used to make a belt dressing that would prevent belt slipping. May be worth a try, just to see if that cures the problem. Temporary bandaid, but that may let you know if the aluminum is the problem.

They used to make a belt dressing that would prevent belt slipping. May be worth a try, just to see if that cures the problem. Temporary bandaid, but that may let you know if the aluminum is the problem.
I tried that... it helped a little temporarily.

When my "big name" water pump puked 3 or 4 years ago , I put a jegs "house brand" [read cheap] aluminum pump on , it's been fine so far ...:thumbsup:
dave​

I have the same issue on my z28. When I first accelerate enough to activate the voltage regulator, it squeals a bit and it has a serpentine belt on it. It's a high output alternator. It bugs me, but that's the only time it does it, so I just live with it. I thought about changing the pulley diameter to attempt to spin the alternator at a higher speed at idle so it would be energized sooner, but that's as far as I got with it.

Pulley diameter is also a factor in belt traction and alternator function. A larger pulley might be a cure for the squeal, but have to watch and maintain sufficient alternator rpm.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back