Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Torque converter advice

TRoadster

First let me say Hi y'all. I would post first on the Intro Threads but for some reason I can't post there but I can post here. So I'll post there once I can. I need some advice on what stall to choose when I buy a new converter. I've read everything I can find and I still have questions. I know with the light weight T bucket the stall numbers will be lower than stated for that converter.(up to 1/3) I also know that my high torque at low rpm motor will make up some of that differance. So here is what I have... a 1967 Buick 430(factory rated at 475ftlbs torque at 3200 RPMs) mostly stock so those numbers should be close if not a little low. 9" rear with 3 to 1 gear. 26.8" rear tires.(She's a Track T). Rebuilt transmission(heavy duty clutch plates, etc). I'm looking at 2200-2800 or a 2800-3200 stall. The lower may put me around 1800 to 2000 rpms . My 430 puts out as much if not more torque at 2000 rpms than most mild sbcs at peak. I think the higher one would put stall around 2300 to 2500 rpms. I'm leaning towards the higher one but... I can't make up my mind with the information I have. Any suggestion on what stall I should get? I need some help... advice... something. By the way, I've heard good things about Boss Hogs converters so I may go with them.

The higher the slip, the more heat generated and less gas mileage you get... Kinda depends on what kind of driving you want to do as well... If I'm cruising down the road at 2300 RPM, then I wanted to make sure I didn't have any slip as to avoid heat... So I (and the key word here is "I") went with a 2000 stall, which I figured would act like stock in my light car... I do know the stock converter that was in the car was a major pain at a stop light, but this one works out just fine for ME as I only need firm pressure on the brake now as opposed to having to stand on it before! :D

Now if your goal is to jump out of the hole more than cruising, then converters that run 3000 to 3500 will hook you right up... be sure to fasten your safety belt!

Oh yea...

:lol:

:lol:

BTW, in the fine print of signing up to this forum, there was a clause that said you MUST post pics of your ride! :liar:

Al

A lot of it depends on the cam you are running too........the more radical cam the higher your stall needs to be. I'm running a very mild marine roller cam in the 350 in my T and my converter is about a 2200. I get no lurch when going into gear, and hardly no pull at redlights. It performs just like my daily driver.

My Kid is running a full bore race 302 Ford in his T with a cam that is right on the edge of insanity. He is running a 2800 stall, and it isn't enough. It jumps going into gear and tries to drag him through redlights a little. We are probably going to move up to a 3300 stall.

With the Buick and the mild cam you are talking about I would think you could get by with a fairly stock converter. The key is that you can idle it down enough so that the converter is below it's stall when idling. BTW, I love it that you are using a Buick 430 in there. Nice to see a different motor being used. :lol::D Post us up some pictures when you can. Oh, and welcome aboard.

Don

I plan to cruise mostly. That's the reason for the 3 to 1 rear. Though I will have the means to get on it and run like a bat.... The 430 I bought came with a th400 but it was bigger than I wanted to use. I've got a smaller built trany instead. The 400 did come with the switch pitch converter, which would have been perfect if I could have got it to work in the car the way I wanted. So far it sounds like the 2200-2800 is the convert I should look at. Anyone else? You big block guys, please chime in.

TRoadster said:
First let me say Hi y'all. I would post first on the Intro Threads but for some reason I can't post there but I can post here. So I'll post there once I can. I need some advice on what stall to choose when I buy a new converter. I've read everything I can find and I still have questions. I know with the light weight T bucket the stall numbers will be lower than stated for that converter.(up to 1/3) I also know that my high torque at low rpm motor will make up some of that differance. So here is what I have... a 1967 Buick 430(factory rated at 475ftlbs torque at 3200 RPMs) mostly stock so those numbers should be close if not a little low. 9" rear with 3 to 1 gear. 26.8" rear tires.(She's a Track T). Rebuilt transmission(heavy duty clutch plates, etc). I'm looking at 2200-2800 or a 2800-3200 stall. The lower may put me around 1800 to 2000 rpms . My 430 puts out as much if not more torque at 2000 rpms than most mild sbcs at peak. I think the higher one would put stall around 2300 to 2500 rpms. I'm leaning towards the higher one but... I can't make up my mind with the information I have. Any suggestion on what stall I should get? I need some help... advice... something. By the way, I've heard good things about Boss Hogs converters so I may go with them.

As long as you know the vitals of your car, call the Torque Converter people and talk to em....But make sure ya got the numbers in front of ya, so take stock of things and write it all down.
They will need to know the weight of the car, type trans, gear ratio in the rear axle, tire diameter, cubic inches...Prolly more.
We have been thru this on the NTBA forum many times, and most of the guys with SB Chebby's go with 2500 RPM stall converters, and they are sorry and end up buying a 3000 or 3500 RPM converter to keep from having to put the trans in Neutral at stop lights. But again this depends on how much torque your engine puts out and well it idles down...Have a talk with the torque converter guys, and try to spend your money just once, instead of over and over, like some of us...LOL "BH"

Thanks BH. I've read everything on the NTBA site and was planning to go with a 2800-3200 stall. I then filled out several Internet forms for the main stream torque converter guys and emailed a couple of others. So far I've received only one reply. They suggested their 2200-2800 converter. I remember several guys on the NTBA site saying the same thing but had problems with the stall being too low. I guess I'll have to try and call some of these places. I'll need a convert soon because I hope to mount the engine and trany before to long.

I never heard back from two other places I emailed so I called ACC who makes the Boss Hog converter. I had planned to used one of their converters anyway. After talking to the tech on the phone, giving him a bunch of information, he said I should use a 2500rpm stall. But because of the light weightiness of the car, I would need to get the Street Bandit 3200-3600 stall. Anything lower would give me problems. I mentioned that someone else had suggested their 2200-2800 stall. He said that would work out to about a 1200 in my car. So I order one online, $294 which includes shipping. I was hoping to come out a little cheaper but there are some things you just can't skimp on. Thanks for all your inputs.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back