Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Air Cleaners

benT

Well after 2 years of complaining about my generic Edelbrock finned dual quad air cleaner, I decided to do something about it before World of Wheels. I've always wanted my air cleaner(s) to match the fins of my 60's Cal Custom valve covers. After a long search of what is available in the marketplace, I could not find any suitable replacement. So I started scheming on how to build my own. Just about when I was ready to find a competent machine shop, along comes a good client DeShawn who just happens to own Wheeler Machine and Fab in Louisville. He agreed to take on the project and I started measuring my valve covers to create a cad drawing for the air cleaner. Originally I was going to reuse the Edelbrock base and element I had, but after pricing out the aluminum needed, I decided to go with individual 6-3/8" air cleaners which was really my first choice. So picked up some cheapie 6-/8" chrome air cleaners at Autozone for the bases and ordered K&N elements from Summit. Meanwhile, DeShawn CNC milled up the aircleaner to my drawing specs. Here is my old aircleaner:

DSCF0444.jpg

To give them a softer, cast look, I filed and sanded the air cleaners to match the valve covers. Here is a shot of the machined air cleaner lid next to one I've worked over:

DSC002432.jpg

And here is a shot of them on the car after media blasting :

DSC00247.jpg

Once I was happy with them, we ceramic coated and clear coated the lids and bases to match the finish on my valve covers, intake, etc. I can't find my close up, but here is a pic at World of Wheels:

DSCF2094.jpg

I'm super happy with them, and I now feel that the engine dress up is complete. It definitely wasn't a cheap project, but one that was a needed finishing touch!

Looks cool how would it look with blue in the recessed areas to match the car? Just a ????????????????????????

[clap]

I really like 'em. A friend popped some color in between the ribs of his valve covers and air filters and I like that look also.

5007335268_a517780f9f_z.jpg

Nothing like 'one offs' to get some individuality. You know, because all Ts are the same.LOL
Gerry

Looks cool how would it look with blue in the recessed areas to match the car? Just a ????????????????????????

I've thought about that, but I'm not sure it really works with my overall theme/scheme. Dad painted the centers of his valve covers and air cleaner cover. Here's a comparison:

DSCF0051.jpg

Ben, you seem to have done the impossible! You have made an OUTSTANDING car even greater. You are indeed a master!

Jim

Ben, you seem to have done the impossible! You have made an OUTSTANDING car even greater. You are indeed a master!

Jim

Ha! :rofl: This coming from a guy who MADE his own body? Thank you for the props, but its more like I'm a patient builder who is fortunate enough to have a supportive job and family to allow me to mess around with this stuff.

And Ted..you're right...and I always say the same thing. Build what you like and be proud of what you build.

I still say you have one of the best looking buckets on this site.Each bucket is a personal statement do it your way.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back