Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New builder dude

Sounds awesome! Do you already have those components on hand?
Yes, I’m getting ready to cut the drive shaft, running the steering shaft and installing the column, patterns are cut for the floor and fire wall... little cold here in SC for bondo and fiberglass work, no heat in the garage. Engine and trans are in the frame for mocking up. Frame in a roller. Steel not sure about cooling and the ability to do so with a track nose, I’ve seen pictures of buckets with V8’s in them so I know it’s possible. Needing another turtle deck I’m going to cut up, invert and attach it....more of a completed look instead of the just cut off flat on the bottom.

Tnixon ; I don't like the chopped off look either. The turtle deck looks incomplete. I like your idea of adding another top piece to the bottom.

Exactly what I am talking about.....
Tnixon ; I don't like the chopped off look either. The turtle deck looks incomplete. I like your idea of adding another top piece to the bottom.
The idea I got from Ron Pope, he and I discussed it several months ago. I know nothing about fiberglass....
I know nothing about fiberglass....how would you go about attaching it? Wood then glass over the two parts?

Donny Ray is the expert when it comes to fiberglass, but . . . I would think you would lay up the glass first, then add wood reinforcement on the inside like you do for the body tub.

Donny Ray is the expert when it comes to fiberglass, but . . . I would think you would lay up the glass first, then add wood reinforcement on the inside like you do for the body tub.
i understand what you saying, makes sense

Spanky's photo shows exactly what i'm talking about. I like the rear turtle deck in that photo. If the top half has a functioning lid & the bottom half doesn't. The bottom half will become the floor. You'll have increased storage space. PS: Thanks for the huge compliment Spanky. I strongly believe , i couldn't hold a candle to ChoppinCzech. Pressing onward ; I'm back to working on my hardtop again ; i'll take some photos tomorrow. I'm going to attach a hinge to the bottom rear portion of the hardtop ( this will make it easier for me to enter & exit the car).

If you don’t mind spending the money, you can just buy another turtle deck, flipping it over and bond the two together, cutting the bottom half as needed for the rear end. Another method is to use your current turtle deck as a mold to make the lower half. The first is easier but you need to buy and cut up a perfectly good turtle deck.

If you don’t mind spending the money, you can just buy another turtle deck, flipping it over and bond the two together, cutting the bottom half as needed for the rear end. Another method is to use your current turtle deck as a mold to make the lower half. The first is easier but you need to buy and cut up a perfectly good turtle deck.
Makes sense....new deck is 500-600 $, not cheap. Not thought of rolling my own. Thank you!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back