Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Member from AZ

bowtiestang

Hello all,

I am from Tucson AZ and my toy right now are...
1996 Supra
1998 Z-28
1990 Ford Mustang with a 355 SBC...Drag car
ab.gif

I have gotten the bug to build a Bucket...the plan is to do one of two things...
1. Sell the Bowtiestang as a roller and drop the engine and trans in the bucket.
2. sell it turn key and build another motor for the bucket.

Scan10001small-1.jpg

I have a bunch of ??? but I will bost them in the correct areas....

Robert

Welcome! I'd probably sell the 'stang with the motor in it and build a new one for the bucket. Why? 3 reasons:

1. Your 355 is probably built for the strip only, requiring enough changes for reliable street duty the you'd be $ ahead to build a new one.
2. Building engines is fun, and you should take every opportunity to build another.
3. Most importantly, buckets run best with genuine FORD engines! :flex:

Welcome! I'd probably sell the 'stang with the motor in it and build a new one for the bucket. Why? 3 reasons:

1. Your 355 is probably built for the strip only, requiring enough changes for reliable street duty the you'd be $ ahead to build a new one.
2. Building engines is fun, and you should take every opportunity to build another.
3. Most importantly, buckets run best with genuine FORD engines!
flex.gif

But it runs 10s all motor in a 3000lbs car so in a bucket
pilot.gif
I wouldnt change a thing ...its only a 13.5:1 comp .630 lift roller motor that drinks 110 race gas like its $1 a gal
whisper.gif

A Tbucket isn't designed for speed. Correction! Usually short burst of speed. Stop light to stop light! When you HAVE to take out a riceburner. You know,the kid with the Honda. Most of them never see over 100mph. Most Tbucket are over powered and don't hook up very well. They have alot of WOW factor to them. Thats why I love these cars. So your engine should fit right at home in a Tbucket.So get some parts and start building and enjoy yourself!!!!!

Welcome :flex:

Welcome to the forum bowtiestang.

This is just my .02 cents worth, but I would build a new motor with a SMALL positive displacement blower and cam and carb for a great low end. The other members here will tell you that I'm the oddball, but I prefer good mileage with great grunt tied to a manual tranny. I know that your 'stang ripped 10 second et's because of an engine designed for max power which of course comes on at the high rpm range. You probably had a torque converter with a stall speed of something over 4000 rpms. Perfect for the strip, but I love to short shift my Muncie M20 4-speed, beating the rice burners screaming to 7000 rpms while I'm shifting at 3000, giving them the impression that I'm not even trying. I think if more of the guys here would run that engine/tranny combo, they too would be sold on 20+ mpg and tons of low rpm grunt. I used to drive around 1000 differant cars per year and high strung Italian cars were my least favorites and plain jane Mustang GT 500's with their little blowers were the most fun to drive off the line. On the issue of top speed, most the guys here stay below 80 mph. My car will do 160 mph, which is faster than I would ever go in it, but since it will blast from 65 mph to 120 mph in 3rd gear in a tad over 4 seconds, I have done that on many occasions.

Bob

This is just my .02 cents worth, but I would build a new motor with a SMALL positive displacement blower and cam and carb for a great low end.

For a T-bucket I have to agree. Rate of acceleration directly follows the engine's torque curve, and on the street aren't most of us looking for acceleration rather than top speed? Wish I had thought of all that a couple of sbc's ago, but I ain't changin' my 409.

Jeff

Sell the STANG and build a Bucket. there is no argument JUST DO IT.
You will always thank us
Gerry

For a T-bucket I have to agree. Rate of acceleration directly follows the engine's torque curve, and on the street aren't most of us looking for acceleration rather than top speed? Wish I had thought of all that a couple of sbc's ago, but I ain't changin' my 409.

Jeff

I have a feeling my little SBC is making more torque than I will ever hook on the street
laugh.gif

Hi, welcome to the board, remember to do what works for you, thats all that counts and have fun doing it. Chaz

Bowtiestang, welcome from the bottom of the south pacific.

Sell the Mustang complete and build a 27 T roadster with a twin turbo big block, and Lenco. Will be a very streetable combo - trust me! :thumb:

I have a blown 540 Chev in my 23 Tee and if I had the chance I would build a 27 T roadster & aim for street legal 7s. Im sure it can be done safely. The 27 has more wheelbase and theres heaps more room in the 27s (over a 23) for a decent rollcage.

With the guards on, probably only the T/F wing on the back would give the plan away.

There are a few on here who think you only need 250hp to enjoy a bucket, and I used to think that too, till I went to the dark side.

cheers
Todd

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back