Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New to the Game

Randy Antoine

I just purchased a 1923 t bucket that was in a guys garage for 25 years, it is a kit but was registered at one time in california,I hauled the car home and got it running suprisingly it started right up after changing all the fluids.. The problem im having is I have know idea how to get this car inspected in the state of delaware, I tried reading the criteria for inspecting street rods, and its supposed to have seat belts, a winshield wiper(doesnt even have a top) high beams (which it doesnt have either). I can handle most of these items but the killer to me is they say it needs fenders, I see hot rods in the summer running around without them all the time, Can anyone give me any feedback on getting this car tagged in delaware,, its my first open wheel car and i dont know if the laws in other states are this stringent.

In NY, if it's registered as a '23, you don't need all that for inspection. Generally, just what they came with in 1923.

Can anyone give me any feedback on getting this car tagged in delaware...

You need to call the DMV rather than asking here. I did the same as you before buying my bucket a few months ago, and I got a lot of misinformation online (different forum). When I finally called the DMV here in Texas, I discovered that the process and options are much more complex than I had been told. Not only that, the first person I spoke with at DMV was apparently not familiar with assembled vehicle registration and gave me totally wrong information.

As it turned out, there's an initial safety inspection/VIN confirmation required before the transfer, and the items they check will vary a lot depending on whether the out-of-state title shows it to be an original (like a '23 Ford) or a later model assembled vehicle. Then, during the transfer, the buyer can select several types of titles, depending again on how the vehicle is identified by the existing title. In Texas, if you title it as an antique, it can't be driven daily to work, only to shows and for maintenance purposes. Antique registration also only requires attaching a single license plate and does away with annual safety inspections. The car can also be licensed as a "Street Rod" if it's a later model replica of an early car, or simply as a standard vehicle. Even titled as a standard vehicle - which is what I elected - annual safety inspection varies depending on whether the title identifies it as an original early vehicle.

One thing that really threw me is that the rules state you don't need to have the vehicle listed on your insurance card for purposes of the transfer. You only need to have any other vehicle listed, and the card must be valid for at least another thirty days. That's because Texas law requires the insurance company to cover a newly purchased vehicle for 30 days, regardless of whether you call to add it to the policy. The rub is that the inspection stations won't honor that, they require you to present a card that shows the specific vehicle you're inspecting. So, even though the law says you can transfer the vehicle without it being listed, the initial inspection/VIN confirmation that is required for the transfer can't be done. Grrr...

Anyway, I don't know if it's all this complicated in Deleware, but you need to call or thoroughly research the DMV sites to find out.

Jack

Having 50 states, each with it's own title and registration laws, makes things messy. Some ideas:

1) You can try the DMV, but the people there are not exactly experts. Their job is mainly to shuffle papers and take your money. My first try at the nearest office, they couldn't understand "building a car." They kept insisting that I must have had a car to start with.

2) The DMV will only give you the official state line on how to do it. There may be other ways that are easier and cheaper. I bought a title online. Saved a ton of money and grief. Then got an antique car plate that didn't require inspection. Later I moved to MN and got a street rod plate with no renewal needed ever.

3) Your best bet is to ask the guys with buckets. Check car clubs in the state.

Do you have the CA title? If so, what is it titled as?

What He said! Its best to get a member of this group that lives in your state to give you info, or go to a speed shop/Auto parts store, find someone that has a bucket and talk to them.
Yes, the DMV and HP you can get info. Alot of times they are misinformed themselves, and will send you down a road of yearly inspections and a 'KitCar' title. Alot of them get to searching for serial #'s that don't even exist....
Its best to talk to someone that has actually gone thru the process before. The car being titled at one time is a big plus....just be careful.
Hell, it just sitting in the guys garage for 25 years automatically makes it a antique!....
Ya know, I'm feeling old now! hahaha....the early classics we used to drive are now antiques!!!!

What I found in Louisiana is most people at the regular DMV don't know their head from their back door. But, at the head office for the state they have a Specialty vehicle department and they are the ones that know or can answer your questions as they are the ones that actual process specialty vehicles. That is where I would start.

I want to thank everyone for all the feedback, I will research this further,, i guess my next question does anyone know of a way to mount temporary fenders to pass inspection and not have to drill holes in the body of the car, this is my biggest concern as i do not want permanent fenders and dont want to be left with holes in the body.

I want to thank everyone for all the feedback, I will research this further,, i guess my next question does anyone know of a way to mount temporary fenders to pass inspection and not have to drill holes in the body of the car, this is my biggest concern as i do not want permanent fenders and dont want to be left with holes in the body.

For fenders that don't mount on the body make some "cycle" fenders. They fit close to the wheel and move up and down with the suspension and in the front they also turn with the wheels. When you don't want to use them, simply unbolt them.

Jim

Like Jim said. This is just a quick photo I found, and a picture of one of my bikes in the early stage with the same basic design on the rear. all you have to do is mount them anywhere on your spindle/backing plate. Anywhere that will move with the wheel. you can get dirt cheap trailer fenders at any trailer supplier, or somewhere like northern tool and equipment. If the widest they have isn't wide enough for your rear, they are easy as pie to just cut one edge off 2 fenders and weld them together. Just about any kind of round bar or flat stock about 3/8" will make solid enough mount to hold them up. Rattle can them black, and unbolt them as soon as you finish, and HANG ON TO THEM in case you ever need them again. Aggravating I'm sure, but not a big $ fix if you wind up having to do it..

Attachments

• DSCN1521.jpg
    DSCN1521.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 40013_146747295348059_6032913_n.jpg
    40013_146747295348059_6032913_n.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 45
Like Jim said. This is just a quick photo I found, and a picture of one of my bikes in the early stage with the same basic design on the rear. all you have to do is mount them anywhere on your spindle/backing plate. Anywhere that will move with the wheel. you can get dirt cheap trailer fenders at any trailer supplier, or somewhere like northern tool and equipment. If the widest they have isn't wide enough for your rear, they are easy as pie to just cut one edge off 2 fenders and weld them together. Just about any kind of round bar or flat stock about 3/8" will make solid enough mount to hold them up. Rattle can them black, and unbolt them as soon as you finish, and HANG ON TO THEM in case you ever need them again. Aggravating I'm sure, but not a big $ fix if you wind up having to do it..
\

hey great idea trailer fenders, thanks

You need to call the DMV rather than asking here. I did the same as you before buying my bucket a few months ago, and I got a lot of misinformation online (different forum). When I finally called the DMV here in Texas, I discovered that the process and options are much more complex than I had been told. Not only that, the first person I spoke with at DMV was apparently not familiar with assembled vehicle registration and gave me totally wrong information.

As it turned out, there's an initial safety inspection/VIN confirmation required before the transfer, and the items they check will vary a lot depending on whether the out-of-state title shows it to be an original (like a '23 Ford) or a later model assembled vehicle. Then, during the transfer, the buyer can select several types of titles, depending again on how the vehicle is identified by the existing title. In Texas, if you title it as an antique, it can't be driven daily to work, only to shows and for maintenance purposes. Antique registration also only requires attaching a single license plate and does away with annual safety inspections. The car can also be licensed as a "Street Rod" if it's a later model replica of an early car, or simply as a standard vehicle. Even titled as a standard vehicle - which is what I elected - annual safety inspection varies depending on whether the title identifies it as an original early vehicle.

One thing that really threw me is that the rules state you don't need to have the vehicle listed on your insurance card for purposes of the transfer. You only need to have any other vehicle listed, and the card must be valid for at least another thirty days. That's because Texas law requires the insurance company to cover a newly purchased vehicle for 30 days, regardless of whether you call to add it to the policy. The rub is that the inspection stations won't honor that, they require you to present a card that shows the specific vehicle you're inspecting. So, even though the law says you can transfer the vehicle without it being listed, the initial inspection/VIN confirmation that is required for the transfer can't be done. Grrr...

Anyway, I don't know if it's all this complicated in Deleware, but you need to call or thoroughly research the DMV sites to find out.

Jack
Jack thanks for the advice i spent and hour and half at the dmv yesterday,. what a cluster *&^% that was.. no one there could tell me exactly what i needed to get inspected. said i would have to bring the car in and go from there, because they werent sure if it was antique, a street rod, or a replica, they all have different criteria. I came with what i thought was loaded for bear,, pictures,, the title , bill sale etc. Now im thinking catch the right inspector on the right day, because they dont know, none of them.One thing they did say it has to have a windshield wiper, i said well it has cloth interior and no top i dont think ill be driving on a rainy day,, doesnt matter still needs a wiper,,(manual ok). depending on how they classify it i still might need fenders. but anyway i appreciate all the support my first open wheel hot rod, besides a quarter midget.

Randy, what does it say on your title? Is it titled as a Model T Ford? If so, there should be very little titling into your name. IMHO. As for a wiper, have you considered a clamp on wiper? That is what I use to pass the NSRA Safety 23 Inspection.

Jim

Randy I might have missed it but what inspection do you need? The one for my VIN was done by the State police. I was all worried about it and they did't care about anything beyond the serial numbers on the engine & transmission to see if they are stolen. That was it. After you get your title and registration I had to go get a state inspection just like every other car you drive. In Louisiana that is pretty much a $10 tax as most places don't check anything, just write you a sticker. This can vary from shop to shop but just ask other hot rodders around and there is usually someone that is more lenient towards classic cars etc.

I also live in delaware. When I asked about getting it titled and registered and getting a vin#, they told me to build it then bring it to dmv for inspection. Most of the inspectors really don't honestly know though! Good luck!

We had a guy in a town close by went thru the fenders business , they said he had to have fenders. He hired a guy to put fenders on [ he took a 55 gallon barrel & cut out strips, they were curved just like the tires & put straps, to hook on the axle], not the body. They actually looked good. They inspected the car & off he went home & took them off. Problem solved.

Jack thanks for the advice i spent and hour and half at the dmv yesterday,. what a cluster *&^% that was.. no one there could tell me exactly what i needed to get inspected. said i would have to bring the car in and go from there, because they werent sure if it was antique, a street rod, or a replica, they all have different criteria. I came with what i thought was loaded for bear,, pictures,, the title , bill sale etc. Now im thinking catch the right inspector on the right day, because they dont know, none of them.One thing they did say it has to have a windshield wiper, i said well it has cloth interior and no top i dont think ill be driving on a rainy day,, doesnt matter still needs a wiper,,(manual ok). depending on how they classify it i still might need fenders. but anyway i appreciate all the support my first open wheel hot rod, besides a quarter midget.
Well, If I were you, I'd go to a small town Justice of the Peace, sit down, talk to him or her, and have him send in the paperwork, with a new Bill of Sale, saying its a 23 or a 27 or whatever. Then you get a title in the mail.
Or go thru the Title Co. there in B'ham, Al. They will get the title straightened out for you.
Ya know, this building a car has got to where its way more complicated than it should be. I just get receipts from everywhere I purchase things, hell, motors gotta have a piece of paper saying it was built by so&so, or a 'statement of Origin)(MY HEAD)....back in the old days, you just built it, they looked at it, inspected it, then you got your papers.
Your local speed shop, and local car club should help you out.
If you help educate the igmo's there within the system, next person that tries to title a T should not have these difficulties....
Everyone wants a piece of the pie. They wanna stamp, tax, liscense, regulate how much money it takes for you to ride your car down the road, thats all it is, plain and simple.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back