Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newbie looking to buy a T Bucket

jcoulter

Hello from Texas. Recently I’ve begun my search into buying a T Bucket. Starting from scratch as my knowledge of these vehicles is limited. Thought it would be a good a good idea to reach out to some smart guys that could educate in my search. I come from the C3 corvette world and I know how valuable information in forums can be.
I’m hoping that you guys can give me road map of sorts as to things to look for in buying a T. Also, things to stay away from. Just generally looking for advice on how to buy a T. I know my way around engines very well and am mechanically inclined. I’m 5’8” and weigh 180. Just providing that info as I know fitting in a T bucket is a concern. Thanks in advance for your help.

Glad to have you with us! From the beginning (pre-war days, WW 2) Model T hotrods have been built to suit the owner. This is a case where hot-rodding a model T Ford is not like hot-rodding a Detroit muscle car or British sports car. The blank canvas of the T provides the barest of basic parts - body, suspension bits, frame layout - and the variations are almost endless. That said, through the years certain elements of the cars we call "T-buckets" have proven themselves to be both safe and reliable (those are relative terms). It is wise not to stray too far from those basics, and a good example of what I'm talking about can be seen in the plan book(s) from one of our sponsors, California Custom Roadsters. For some of us, the easiest way into the T-bucket world was to buy one already built or partially built, work on it and drive it for a while, and reach conclusions about what we like/don't like about that particular car. Then we can build one to suit our preferences. That's what I did and my current T-bucket suits me, but maybe not a lot of others. Sorry to be so long-winded but . . . I guess you can tell I'm enthusiastic about these little cars, which are an absolute blast to own and drive!

Attachments

• My 1st T.jpg
    My 1st T.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 12
  • T that I built.jpg
    T that I built.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the info guys. Question: why do you barely see any manual trannies in the cars? Is space an issue?

You answered your own question; space by the cowl of a '23 T is very limited. Just enough room for steering column, brake pedal & accelerator pedal. That said, diehards will put a clutch pedal in there, sometimes building a blister on the outside of the body to accommodate the left foot!

Attachments

• Jays T2.jpg
    Jays T2.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the info guys. Question: why do you barely see any manual trannies in the cars? Is space an issue?
Sissies! lol. Jk. It’s doable, simplicity and driving style dictate selection more than anything, but space is a real issue. I have a 427 bbc with a t10 4speed. It takes some ingenuity to create functional linkage and shifter configuration due to space limitations. I had to fabricate pedals, linkage, steering column, even a shifter to make it near drivable for me, and you and I are similar in size. I have a standard size 23. I would recommend looking into the big boy type or a later model with extended cowl to accommodate, but style and taste all figures in. Buy as much as possible from the same vendor because literally nothing is exactly interchangeable out of the box. Be prepared to adapt, modify, customize, and fabricate on your journey. There are several vendors that offer such items... selection and budget will help you decide. Just do your homework and keep notes. BTW, I considered installing a t56 6 speed in mine but there simply wasn’t enough space. The t10 fits well and allowed me to keep a mostly flat floor except under the cowl, which allowed more space inside the cockpit.

I have a full manual 700R4 which is sort of a compromise. It stays in whatever gear you put it until you shift to the next and there are no space issues. Linkage is also no problem.

Have a friend that uses a hand brake. He has a race car with a handbrake so he was kinda use to it.

Sissies! lol. Jk. It’s doable, simplicity and driving style dictate selection more than anything, but space is a real issue. I have a 427 bbc with a t10 4speed. It takes some ingenuity to create functional linkage and shifter configuration due to space limitations. I had to fabricate pedals, linkage, steering column, even a shifter to make it near drivable for me, and you and I are similar in size. I have a standard size 23. I would recommend looking into the big boy type or a later model with extended cowl to accommodate, but style and taste all figures in. Buy as much as possible from the same vendor because literally nothing is exactly interchangeable out of the box. Be prepared to adapt, modify, customize, and fabricate on your journey. There are several vendors that offer such items... selection and budget will help you decide. Just do your homework and keep notes. BTW, I considered installing a t56 6 speed in mine but there simply wasn’t enough space. The t10 fits well and allowed me to keep a mostly flat floor except under the cowl, which allowed more space inside the cockpit.
If you have any pictures of the shift linkage, I'd love to see them. I've been picturing in my mind how I would modify the linkage to get it a little more out of the way of the gas pedal. It's a Muncie, so it's similar.

If you have any pictures of the shift linkage, I'd love to see them. I've been picturing in my mind how I would modify the linkage to get it a little more out of the way of the gas pedal. It's a Muncie, so it's similar.
I will have to get a pic, I don’t know if my build thread is still available since the transition, I haven’t updated it in a long time and all of my pics were on a old laptop that I no longer use on line. It’s very tight, getting the pedals and steering column in there, but it’s doable. The clutch linkage was tricky, no way to use a typical z bar setup, I had to fabricate everything including linkage, pedals, etc. it’s still tight but functional. The Muncie is very similar, so no problem there. The shifter was a biggie for me, I sacrificed a corvette shifter and a competition plus, merged them, if you will, to move the shifter location to the right side of the tail shaft via the way the vette shifter was formed. That was necessary to gain the needed space to accommodate me somewhat comfortably, at least functional, not really comfortable. I cut and reshaped a Chrysler minivan seat to fit the bucket and gain as much space as possible, it actually worked out as well as I think it could have, considering the space limitations. I tried a couple different shifters, etc, before finding a workable combination. BTW, my gas pedal is more toward the center, which was only possible because there is minimal hump to clear the bell housing. A pedal on each side of the steering column, and the go pedal to the right.

Last edited:
Hello from Texas. Recently I’ve begun my search into buying a T Bucket. Starting from scratch as my knowledge of these vehicles is limited. Thought it would be a good a good idea to reach out to some smart guys that could educate in my search. I come from the C3 corvette world and I know how valuable information in forums can be.
I’m hoping that you guys can give me road map of sorts as to things to look for in buying a T. Also, things to stay away from. Just generally looking for advice on how to buy a T. I know my way around engines very well and am mechanically inclined. I’m 5’8” and weigh 180. Just providing that info as I know fitting in a T bucket is a concern. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hello from Iowa, I have a 23 T-bucket that I have to sell due to medical issues. It is complete and running (not a project car) and I drive it to car shows regularly but I am keeping all the trophies, you win your own. It is a Total performance car with both doors that open and a top, recently rebuilt SBC 355, dual quads on a tunnel ram, TH400, 3:55 posi. I do have a small cargo trailer to pull behind it if you want it. Full state of Iowa title for a 1923 Ford so no problem getting it registered there.
----Dennis

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back