Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

No longer a young mans problem (premature detonation)

If your using a timing light check your harmonic balancer I've seen it a number of times that a high milage GM engine had slipped the outer ring a little. Just enough to mess up your reading on the light.
Good luck

Ted and WildMango are right......And Terrymac....oh I hate the standard balancers.......rap on them with a healthy engine rebuild......and if it doesn't slip a little......its a miracle!

Rooster.......If its your mixture......richen it up some......and try it. If it rattles just a little......probably won't hurt anything as long as it is just a little. I always follow a simple rule since I deal with blower motors almost exclusively, and well over 600 Cu.In daily.......run slightly rich, run slightly cool and run as much timing as the motor will tolerate.

I can make tons of horses and really great performing motors if I run a scorpion type intake......diff. jets in all 4 corners, an as lean as I can go on mixture to get overall engine effeciently way on up. But doing this the engine runs hot......and it will rattle like a dawm shake can if you lug it any at all.

Bump up your fuel mixture just a touch.......try it, then bump up your timing just a touch at a time.......run your engine as cool as you can, and I would definitely run a MSD ingition with the soft touch.....with the MSD.....it comes with the rev limiter already built in........:cool:

Rooster.....is your cam degreed in ????????

i am just running a stock chev 305 ,stock everything. I can slow the timing down and the ratteling is barely noticable. I had a local machine shop build the motor 30 over stock cam 10 10 on the crank. but i do have a stock HEI that i purchased on line on a closeout. As far as the cam all the marks were lined up on the cam and crank gear. everything was new and best quality parts i could buy i supplied all the parts. Like i said it seems to run good just the ratteling when i move the timing up . I had to order a new timing light mine shot crapps.

Are all of the rocker arms adjusted correctly?

Maybe it's telling ya it needs 91 octane or higher.

i think your right on the octane i may just for grins pour some octane booster in my full tank just to see what happens.

Years ago I was told to add one ounce of transmission fluid to every five gallons of gas. It boosts your octane and you don't have to pay the rediculous price at the pump. Worked fine for me. I believe it actually increased my mileage. I had a stock 350 with the turbo. Any one recall that trick?

I was told by a long time GM factory trained mechanics to put 1/2 pint of Dextron in a full tank of gas every oil change. He swears that it will keep your injectors and carb clean better than any injector/carb cleaner on the market.

Don't forget to cut that amount down, because we have much smaller fuel tanks, Tranny fluid is the higest detergent oil you can find, if you have Hyd. lifters, it is good to add 1 QT. each oil chance, and Yes it burns, a shot glass is an ounce, and I do believe you are right about it helping with stopping the little Man with the hammer, MR. Ping, slows down the burn, = more power... :)

Ted Brown said:
Don't forget to cut that amount down, because we have much smaller fuel tanks, Tranny fluid is the higest detergent oil you can find, if you have Hyd. lifters, it is good to add 1 QT. each oil chance, and Yes it burns, a shot glass is an ounce, and I do believe you are right about it helping with stopping the little Man with the hammer, MR. Ping, slows down the burn, = more power... :)

Yeeaaaaa Ted.....heee heee.......I got several diff.colored shot glasses for mixin' up the brews, (on the engines that is)!!!!!! Just gotta wash those shot glasses before you start mixin' your drinks though!!!!!!:):lol::lol:

Well thanks for the responses. If it saves me a couple dollars by using this method over buying high octane gas then I'll try it. I have to save as much as I can and when I can.

Ted Brown said:
hehe, I also knew a fellow racer that thought Fuel burned faster than gas, because He burned waaaaay more fuel than Gas... no wonder He had a problem with jetting... :rolleyes:

I still get looks when mixing fuel, I've got my old tall beeker and my old 'hydrometer' for getting that specific gravity. Had a younster not too long ago ask me.......what ya mixin' up there??????

My Reply?

"-If ya gotta ask, won't do me any good to tell ya!!!!-"

:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back