Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Not one of us I hope

I liked the dumb ass' response at the end of the thread. "So you think there is nothing I can do to get it running again?" Duh! I think the moderator at that forum closed the thread at the right time. I'm sure there was more wrath coming from the membership.

Its not like me to make fun of another persons misery but I just couldnt pass that one up. He wins the heres your sign award for the week! lololol

norseman said:
Its not like me to make fun of another persons misery but I just couldnt pass that one up. He wins the heres your sign award for the week! lololol

It is really hard to believe that if he was smart enought to open the hood, he could really do something like that.

Ya it is a bit odd for someone with a bit of enthusiasm for a car type hobby to pull something like this. Perfect example of what a few evenings in a adult education auto shop class could prevent.
I see I made it to "senior member" last post! WHOOPEEEEE!!!! lolol Life is good.
Sitting home today, Allison has strep throat so I got to take the day off from work, building 170 columns for the new dormitory at the minot ND air force base.

I can't top the story but I can try to get close. I bought a junked mid-80s Camaro for the 2.8 V6 and 5 speed I was going to put into my MG. I pulled the engine and transmission as one and while it was hanging I placed a pan under the motor to drain the oil. I took the plug out and went about doing something else while it drained. I looked back a minute or so later and saw that the pan was overflowing. I put a 5 gallon plastic pail under the engine and almost filled it before the engine stopped draining. As near as I can figure the previous owners just changed oil filters and added a quart when they 'changed' the oil. This engine used the smaller filter so it didn't take too many 'oil changes' before the block was overfilled. I knew the people who had owned the car and they weren't too high up on the food chain but I didn't think they were this dumb. They got rid of the car because it wasn't running well.

back when my kid sis needed a car for college I stumbled on a clean chevette that wasnt running. I picked the car up for $50, no rust, clean interior good tires. They had just overhauled it a couple hunnerd miles previous and couldnt get it to run , they were glad to be rid of it. I pulled it home checked the compression and there was very little. Pulled the engine down and seen that they had lined all the ring gaps up in a nice straight line. hahahah. couple days later my sis had a car that took her thru 4 years of school for the cost of a set of rings and gaskets plus the 50 clams..

I wonder if the guy is a pot stir'? You know the ones that post something to see the reaction.

Guess that is possible! Maybe the mustang forums were a bit slow that day.
Why just kick the hornets nest when you can whack it with a baseball bat? lol made for an interesting read tho....

Todd said:
I wonder if the guy is a pot stir'? You know the ones that post something to see the reaction.

I'm thinking along the same line, I can't believe anyone that can figure out how to open the hood and manage to find the drain plug on the oil pan is that stupid. I think it's all a big put on.

Wow! Thats 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back. :lol:

My wife, who is a really smart person, and who makes a heck of a lot more money then I ever will, called me one day about a year after we met and said her car stopped. I asked "What do you mean it stopped?"

She replied, "It just stopped!"

So I got into my truck with a tow rope and went and got her. After gently interrogating her a bit more, I learned that she had been driving around with the oil light flashing on and off for about three months, and forgot to mention it. After a quick inspection, I found the engine in her car was locked up solid.

It turned out in spite of all her degrees and recognition for her work, she had actually no idea how to check the oil in her car. So I tried to teach her how to do it, but she is one of these people that has zero mechanical ability. I know for people like us it's hard to believe, but these types of people really do exist.

I then solved the problem by simply giving her a kiss on her pretty forehead and I told her not to worry, I'll take care of it. I make damn sure I check the oil in her car now. It's worked out pretty well for the last 19 years!

David

Telman2 said:
I'm thinking along the same line, I can't believe anyone that can figure out how to open the hood and manage to find the drain plug on the oil pan is that stupid. I think it's all a big put on.

actually, ive seen someone this stupid

a former coworker was told to write his name on his welding helmet so everyone would know whos it is.

he wrote his name in black magic marker on a black helmet

same coworker:

uncle died
brother got uncles house
waterbill goes unpaid for a year
city starts to forclose
brother gives coworker house if he pays off the bill
coworker complains about having to pay bill to get house

and heres the kicker .... coworker eventually admitts hes been living in the house since his uncle passed away, and hes the one thats been running up the water bill !

lets just say he proved that its impossible to forget how to breath !

lol...now that is pretty bad.

Best one I have was my first "by myself" oil change. I was probably 10 or so at the time. It was an 75 or so v8 station wagon, blue with the wood side package. My uncle (a diesel mech) was at in from Chicago so Dad was inside, I asked "How much oil do I use" uncle told me 1qt per cylinder and 1 for the filter (you see where this is going right?)

So I proceed to dump 9qts of oil into this engine, needless to say when they started it up it pretty much puked oil all over the place. After that I was at least watched when I was working on the thing :lol:

OH MY!:eek:

I deal with people who shouldnt touch cars everyday i work at a parts store .i would say this is real!!!! its a scary world out there.
The students in my auto class hopfully will never do this.

a friend of mine installed his engine 3 times first no torque converter, second no engine mounts third time scratched camaro with engine hoist nice waste of an afternoon.

This has turned up on "other" sites as well ,If you read all the posts done about this someone told this guy to do this!Now I'm sure it was intended as a wise as joke but it seems this kid might have actually believed he was doing the right thing!He admitted early on he knows nothing of working on cars and came looking for advise.I know a 16 year old boy right now that would do something like this if someone told him it was the way to do it.What one of us hasn't sent the NEWB for a "muffler bearing"or a replacement for a worn "power band"this is going to make me real careful about how I bust a new guys chops in the future for sure !

RexRod said:
...I know for people like us it's hard to believe, but these types of people really do exist...

Yep... my wife is the same... book smart... valedictorian both in HS and Collage... I was out of town... her over temp light came on... she just kept driving cause I was not around to call... net result? New motor in her exploder... $4,500... replacing the bad thermostat... $25 what do you do... smile and say... "it's OK honey"... "I understand"... walk around quietly to the back of the house and just :lol:

Todd said:
They're called "trolls," and yeah, I think that's what the was. I can't believe anyone with even a basic understanding of cars would be that stupid.

Here's my dumb sh*t story...

I was 16 with my first car, a '55 Chevy sedan delivery with a 235 straight six. I knew I was going to drop a V-8 in it at some point, so I beat the crap out of that 6-banger. Finally spun a rod bearing (although I didn't know enough about engines at the time to know that's what I did). Jacked up the front to pull the pan and figure out what the knocking was. Found a rod that had some slop in it. Pulled off the rod cap and found the chewed-up bearings. Pulled 'em out and took 'em to the auto parts store. Got a replacement set, slapped 'em in (not sure if I even had them in right, let alone if they were the right size!), wrenched the cap back on with a 6" ratchet (didn't know about torque values then) and buttoned her back up. You can see what's coming, right? Two days... that's how long my repair job lasted. Threw the rod and knocked a hole in the block. Car sat in the driveway for two months until I started auto shop that summer and learned what a doofus I was.

I will have to say the crowd on that forum were a bit like vultures on a piece of meat. It was definitely a bone-headed mistake (if it truly happened), but it seems as if everyone was lining up to rip off a piece of the guy.

A guy here in town was running (read: trying to run) a AA/GD with a Chrysler wedge (yeah, this is telling my age) and came into the speed shop I was running at the time. He had managed to actually win a round and so it was now time to step on it, so he had me get him a new camshaft. Heck, he had probably won all of $25 for winning the round, right?

When he picked up the cam, I reminded him to check piston-to-valve clearance. After about 3 seconds, it was clear he had no idea of what a degree wheel or a dial indicator might be, so I explained he could get a pretty good idea by using clay strips on the valve reliefs.

About a week later, he was back in the shop with a basket full of bent valves. I asked what had happened and he told me he had checked the clearances with clay and there was absolutely no markings in the clay, so he was sure he had enough clearance. And it was plain he didn't.

I asked him if he had set the valve lash to zero, when he was checking things and he got a puzzled look on his face. "Valve lash? I didn't have to set lash, because I didn't have the rockers on the motor. Why would I need them??"

Just another chapter in the book I swear I'm going to write. :lol:

I ran an NAPA store for a few years. We were located in West Lafayette, fairly close to Purdue University and we got a lot of student traffic on Saturdays.

One Saturday afternoon, an obvious preppy frat boy came in and with a dead-serious look in his eye, asked me for a muffler bearing. His frat brothers told him that was the name of the part he needed. I explained there were several different styles of muffler bearings available, so he offered to draw me a rough sketch of the particular bearing he needed. Five minutes later, he was on his way back to campus with his universal pipe hanger, errrr, I mean muffler bearing in hand. I often wondered if anyone ever let him in on the joke.

And there is absolutely no truth the the rumor going around about my keeping a 90 V-6 camshaft under the counter for all the customers that come in wanting a '3/4 race cam' for their small blocks. You guys know me better than that. I could never stoop that low. No, really. Honest. :angel:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back