Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Off Topic, Motorcycle oils

MRYoung

I found this very interesting, and I've noticed there's a few riders here so I figured I'd share. After running the DEALERS recomended oil (Yamalube 10w-50 semi-synthetic) in my Roadstar for the past couple years, found it discontinued when preparing to change my oil the other day. It's been replaced with a 20w-50. Well, I figured if I've gotta change to a 20-50 I may as well find one more affordable and more readily available (I was driving 30 mins to the dealer). Long story short, I found this test of motorcycle oils (link below). It was on an Amsoil site, so of course Amsoil was rated the best but I was amazed how low some other popular motorcycle oils scored...including the DEALER RECOMENDED oil I was running. I've since switched to the runner up oil, it's very well priced AND sold at every Autozone around. Can't beat that with a

stick.http://www.syntheticoilnlubes.com/pdf/g2156.pdf

I had a situation on some 5w20 motorcraft oil where it was explained to me that with more oil points on the newer tighter tolerences the low viscosity is needed at startup. I wonder if it would be a good idea to contact the dealer to see what thay are using in the warranty bikes. I work for a japaneese company and they over analise EVERYTHING so i would bet that the Yamalube in their testing gives their bike the best chance of makin it through the warranty period.

motorcycle oils also effect the clutch if your running a wet clutch, believe hondas,yamaha's, and kawasaki's are wet clutch bikes...so you need to watch that, some oils just suck for wet clutch.. i had a kawasaki vulcan i ran 5w30 mobile1 full synthetic.. i use to run the 20w50 oils in the past but as i have gotten older i like the lighter 5w30 oils...

amsoil is awesome oil... so is royal purple... can be pricey, nobody sells it locally around me so i use mobil1 or valvoline, i always use full synthetic, and its actually not to high priced now.. you can catch it on sell cheaper than convetional oils alot of the time..

last i heard or saw mobile1 was making a specific full synthetic motorcyle oil , good for wet clutch systems too..

Brucer said:
motorcycle oils also effect the clutch if your running a wet clutch, believe hondas,yamaha's, and kawasaki's are wet clutch bikes...so you need to watch that, some oils just suck for wet clutch.. i had a kawasaki vulcan i ran 5w30 mobile1 full synthetic.. i use to run the 20w50 oils in the past but as i have gotten older i like the lighter 5w30 oils...

amsoil is awesome oil... so is royal purple... can be pricey, nobody sells it locally around me so i use mobil1 or valvoline, i always use full synthetic, and its actually not to high priced now.. you can catch it on sell cheaper than convetional oils alot of the time..

last i heard or saw mobile1 was making a specific full synthetic motorcyle oil , good for wet clutch systems too..

Yeah, the oil that came 2nd to Amsoil was the Mobile 1 synthetic. I'd ran the Mobile 10-40 in a smaller bike before and was impressed with it. This bike is a 1700cc air cooled V-twin and I ride it pretty hard so I'll be using the Mobile 1 20-50 from here out. Royal Purple is one I've heard alot about but never tried. It was one that was also tested, honestly I expected it to fare a little better than it did. I was going to hunt up some Amsoil untill I found out that Autozone sold the Mobile 1 for less.

Speekeing of OIL valvolene is now producing an oil for flat tappet engines, and Rotella T is no CJ not CI :sad:
Mike in ep

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back