Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

OK, we need to have a little talk

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
VIP Member
Supporting Member
No, no, not that kind of talk. ;) If you've made it this far along in life, I'm assuming you've already had that talk.

But I have been experiencing a recurring problem and I simply don't know how to get around it, so I'll mention it here.

Let's say my car won't start. And I log in here and submit a post saying, "My car won't start. It started yesterday, but it won't start today. What is wrong?"

OK, who can fix my problem?

Notice how I've not told you anything about the problem. All I've told you is the car won't start and I want you to tell me why.

I'm not telling you whether or not the engine turns over when I hit the key. I'm not telling whether or not there is spark. I'm not telling whether or not there is fuel at the carburetor. I'm not telling you whether or not there is even fuel in the tank. I'm not telling you the carb shoots flames four feet high when I try to start it.

I'm just telling you my car won't start and I'm getting pretty impatient waiting on you to tell me what is wrong.

I keep getting members sending me e-mails and Private Messages to tell me they are having problems with the forum. Here is a sample of what the messages are like -

"I registered and can't post. What is wrong?"

"I registered and I can't log in. What is up with that?"

I am at a total loss to understand how I am supposed to diagnose a problem, when people supply me no details about the problem.

We have some 400 people that have registered for this forum. Of that number, around 325 of them have managed to register with no problems whatsoever. Of the rest, we've tried to sort what the problems were, so we could get everyone participating as easily as possible.

But I don't have a crystal ball, nor do I have a magic wand. If you have a problem with a forum function, then I need you to contact me and give me as much information as you possibly can. If you can't log in, then tell me what happens when you try. If you cannot post to the forum, tell me what happens when you try.

Without having as many details as possible, we're spinning our wheels.

Tell me what is wrong, tell me what you are seeing and I will get on the problem as quickly as I am able.

Of course there was the fellow that registered, couldn't follow the instructions on how to complete his registration and then spit blood at me, telling me he was going to give it one more try and if it didn't work then he was leaving to never come back. I am unable to find it within me to actually miss him... ;) :rofl:

Has something changed with the spam filters lately, maybe in the last update? A couple that that has been flagged that I have seen, I really wondered other that a low (<10) post count, I couldn't see a problem with them. I feel we have been really fortunate here keeping spam out as well as we have, so I don't think we need to change anything major, maybe just massage the filter a little?
Just a thought!

The filter is looking for certain words, phrases and character strings. (And no, I'm not loading the spammers' guns by identifying what they are)

If a spammer gets registered, they are usually trying to sell you something and are posting links back to their own Web sites. This should help you see what was being trapped in the posts you saw in the queue.

If somebody posts about selling their motorcycle so they can buy a T-Bucket and then posts a link to their PhotoBucket account, then the message has absolutely no chance of ever getting through.

A common technique is to register and try a couple of innocuous posts. If the harmless posts get in, then the next post will have a list of every male enhancing pharmaceutical, every electronic game and every cell phone known to mankind. So yes, there is a threshold that must be reached before the filter will release a new account. Once the post count goes beyond that number, it's smooth sailing.

ime not good on the pc i personally have no probs with the webmaster. matter as a fact he has been patient and extremely helpful with my goofs. even i followed the instructions or at least i think i did so mr webmaster smile and dont take things so seriously. if a person needs and deserves ur help do what u want with him .if he is an azz again do as u want. everyone has limits and others understand this. keep on a keepin on u got my vote mike

I like the idea that our website has a hitman with a contract out on spammers.

Don Webmaster, I pledge my alligance. :rofl:

tfeverfred said:
I like the idea that our website has a hitman with a contract out on spammers.

Don Webmaster, I pledge my alligance. :D

Thats good Fred. :rock:

Bruce, you can go ahead and remove Fred's name from that little list we've been preparing. :rock:

We know our members don't want to endure spam and the forum staff don't want the additional work it requires, so we'll always try to stay ahead of the spammers.

Webmaster said:
Bruce, you can go ahead and remove Fred's name from that little list we've been preparing. :rock:

We know our members don't want to endure spam and the forum staff don't want the additional work it requires, so we'll always try to stay ahead of the spammers.

OK will do. ;) :D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back