Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Open diff. for street only?

SpeedMojo

Hello T fans! I'm new and interested in what you feedback you might have on an open vs. posi for a 26-year-old first timer for fun street driving and the occasional to and fro college. And I'm not scared to ask any stupid questions either. I just bought a T bucket (F-Yeah!!!!) and I have to rebuild the rear end. I have read a lot of the posts for opens vs. posi. vs. lockers, etc. and I'm still a little confused, because I think a lot of people were talking about performance on the dragstrip.

What I'm thinking so far is that an open differential is the way to go. Low maintenance and if I don't peel out then both tires get equal torque for good get up and go? People are scaring me about getting a posi with the forward push and spinning out because I'm a first timer, but I don't plan on driving in the rain........ever.

All I know is I'm excited as hell to drive this thing, but I have to put the rear end together first. Which starts by buying one of the million variations of posi or either an open. --> 31" Mickey T's with overdrive transmission so I was thinking a 4.11 diff according to the rpm calculator?

Appreciate any info at all. Thanks!

Hello T fans! I'm new and interested in what you feedback you might have on an open vs. posi for a 26-year-old first timer for fun street driving and the occasional to and fro college. And I'm not scared to ask any stupid questions either. I just bought a T bucket (F-Yeah!!!!) and I have to rebuild the rear end. I have read a lot of the posts for opens vs. posi. vs. lockers, etc. and I'm still a little confused, because I think a lot of people were talking about performance on the dragstrip.

What I'm thinking so far is that an open differential is the way to go. Low maintenance and if I don't peel out then both tires get equal torque for good get up and go? People are scaring me about getting a posi with the forward push and spinning out because I'm a first timer, but I don't plan on driving in the rain........ever.

All I know is I'm excited as hell to drive this thing, but I have to put the rear end together first. Which starts by buying one of the million variations of posi or either an open. --> 31" Mickey T's with overdrive transmission so I was thinking a 4.11 diff according to the rpm calculator?

Appreciate any info at all. Thanks!

I suggest that you go to the ENGINES AND DRIVELINE forum and check out the thread that started on No. 24 titled "Which rear end?"

Jim

Welcome! If you love T's, you've come to the best place on earth! Here, at this site....is the biggest collection of the most talented folks to ever hold wrenches, plasma, chopsaws,etc......These guys are the best at building these little monsters.....

Welcome Aboard!

I would start out with an open differential. You can always add the limitis slip later after getting more experience driving the car.

Here is a link to the thread EX JUNK refers to above... Which rear end?

In my very humble opinion, the main reason for having a posi in a hot rod is to maximize straight-line acceleration off the line. If that isn't a priority for you, then open is the way to go.

Have always had a posi in mine from day one. Whats a hot rod without posi? Have been caught out in a summer rainstorm and it can get aliitle squirrely with the big@ss tires. But all ya gotta do, and should do, is slow down when its wet DUH.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back