Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Over heating

tfeverfred

The problem is that I'm not? Okay, I was going to go with an electric fan because of room. The upper radiator hose just won't let me run a conventional fan. Unless someone makes one that is 10" in diameter. So, for the last week or so, I have not run one at all. Now, a couple days ago, I let my car run up to 180 degrees to check the JB Weld repair I did on the radiator. It took a long tie for it to get up to that. Then today, I just got in from cruising around for about an hour and the temp never got above 160 degrees. I was even stuck in traffic for a while. Like about 15 minutes. It shot up to 170!

Now the temps in Houston have been mild for us, around 78 to 82 degrees. The radiator Tbucketlar sent me is the 4 core TP radiator. My motor is a stock 305 SBC. So, I guess my question is, is it possible to have a radiator that over powers the motor? Is it possible that this radiator may cool so good that I can get away without using a fan?

Keeper said:
Cool days and a stuck open thermostat can do that. I would not want to chance it in warmer weather!

Oh and check your thermostat!

Good advise, Keeper. I replaced the thermostat during my rebuild, so I know it's good. In Houston during the late summer months, we can see 100 degrees and crazy humidity, so I'm sure I'd need a fan then. I'm ust trying to figure out if I may have a problem somewhere and don't realise it. 160 seems kinda low. I've heard that 180 to 200 is a good range. Is that correct or not?

Well you are lucky for the moment :rolleyes: anyway, you WILL need a fan in traffic and Summer close at hand.. When you install one, check to see if it is doing it's job by holding a shop towel up to the front of the core while idling, hopefully it will also be fine when you are driving with the extra wind through the core.. You must have everything right, enough advance, not too lean, good water flow, all that is necessary for a cool running engine :rolleyes: Happy cruzin...

I've got the same situation Fred, my T runs at 150-160 going down the road and I have a 160 thermostat in it. At lights it might start to come up to 180, but the electric fan drops it to 150 in about a minute. I think Chevy's just run cool naturally...........this is the first one I have used in 30 years, but my small block Ford in my 27 always came up to 190-200 at lights, even though I had a thick radiator from the Brassworks.

I've driven mine in August here in Florida, still runs cold. I'm not complaining though. :rolleyes:

Don

Thanks Ted and Don. Before the accident I was running a flex fan and my car never got above 180. Even in the summer heat. I'll get one to ease my mind and have it with a switch where I can cut it on when needed. Funds are kinda tight, so It will be a while before I do that. I was just concerned that my wanting to ride now, may be doing damage.

Ted Brown said:
The only damage is too your bod for worring, get in and go somewhere, anywhere, just drive the wheels off that critter :rolleyes:

I did that today already.:rolleyes: It felt good, man. Real good. It's amazing how these little cars can take the stress off your mind with just a blip of the throttle and the first thumbs up.

I truly love these cars. Nothing beats driving a dream.

I understand running no thermostat can sometimes overheat when the water doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool.

My temp runs about 160 max on a sbc.But I live in northern Wisconsin.

old round fart said:
I understand running no thermostat can sometimes overheat when the water doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool.

It can, and also, not all thermostats are created equal. There are better ones than you can get at the local discount auto parts store. Their names escape me now, but Roberts comes to mind(?)

Don

FM me fred i have an electric fan i got at a auto parts store closing thats new 14 or 16 inch i am not gona use and u can have it. Let me know how u wana wire it and i will throw in some wire and a relay and a switch.

if you dont trust thermostats , they have big washers that fit where the thermostat goes to do the same thing.... you dont have to worry about the washers sticking on you..

Think about it, why do they make and sell high flow water pumps and smaller Diameter pullys to speed up the water for better cooling... On Pro roundy rounds, they use a header type of water pipes that flow water into the block from 3 different places on each side, and out the heads, the faster it goes, the cooler it runs, that engine is a great heater of water or coolent, plain water works best for cooling, but you need a rust inhibitor, and a water pump lube. Happy cruzin this hot Summer :lol:

but if the coolant flows too fast, it doesnt give the radiator time to do its job (cool the coolant)...

rooster57 said:
FM me fred i have an electric fan i got at a auto parts store closing thats new 14 or 16 inch i am not gona use and u can have it. Let me know how u wana wire it and i will throw in some wire and a relay and a switch.

That is so awesome of you Rooster. Today, you are THE MAN!!!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back