Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Paint my frame

SimpleT

I would really like some recommendations on type of paint to use on my frame. I do not have a paint booth - just a [plain ole garage.

Thanks
Tom

I used a base coat, clear coat. It dries almost instantly. Leaves a very high gloss, about impossible to get a run because it dries so quick. It can be wet sanded and buffed without a long wait time. Depending on the color it can be easily touched up, unlike powder coat.

Very few of us actually have real paint booths! I referred to mine as a ghetto booth... Lined walls and ceiling with painters plastic, taped overlapping plastic to make official ghetto door in one of the bays... then I hosed the floor down to wash away any dust and wet floor helps keep airborne dust down.... then on to airflow... I raised the the big garage door 10 inches and installed (using of course official ghetto tape) 10"x30" furnace air filters... on the side window I placed a box fan with furnace air filters on the opening in front of the fan... outside the bay that I had taped off, a 4000 watt heater got things warmed up to 72 degrees... and there ya are... presto - bingo... a paint booth! :) Total cost of materials for booth... less than $100 (already had fan and heater).

I sprayed using a HVLP gun and used all PPG paint products...

SimpleT said:
What type of paint set up will I need?

I used a base coat, clear coat from the local NAPA store. Don't buy the cheap stuff it does not cover good and will cost you more in the long run. Been there done that. I just painted mine in the garage with the doors up and a big fan sucking the fumes out. You might get a little bit of dirt in it, but it will buff right out.

I used a HVLP gun. Play with the setting on the top of the frame where the body will set, nobody will ever see that. It was easy to get the hang of it.

I base/cleared mine. I was a little concerned at first that the durability wouldn't be there but I was careful when I assembled everything and five years later when I sold the car it still looked good................Steve

I don't have a booth, so I shoot my stuff outside our shop door. I use single stage for the running gear and frame, with hardener in it. I am going to have to start playing around with BC/CC one of these days, but I have such good luck with Dupont single stage I hate to upset the apple cart and start over.

Don

tframeprimed-1.jpg

I even shoot in the dark sometimes. :lol::lol:

tframefinallypainted005.jpg

SimpleT said:
I would really like some recommendations on type of paint to use on my frame. I do not have a paint booth - just a [plain ole garage.

Thanks
Tom
hey Tom,i painted every part of mine in my garage no paint booth or any thing.i just moved all my tools out and hosed everything down with a garden hose to get rid of most of the dust.i have a pretty good compressor and went to lowes and baught a cheap regulator and air line filter.i have a couple old spray guns that my dad used to use when he was painting cars about 25 years ago and 1 hvlp gun a cheapo from harbor freight.i baught paint from a local suplier it was not real expensive i used SIMS premixed self etching primer on all bare metal parts.then went over that with a transtar universal primer (also from dads collection)then painted with Nason acrylic enamel.for the body ang fibreglass parts i used a Nason acrylic sealer then the same paint.you can see it in my gallery marked dan's 23.the whole paint job cost less than 250 bucks.and i think it looks pretty good uther than my lack of experiance with metalics .i ended up with a smooth shiny finish but in the sun you can see some shadowing of the metalics.:eek::lol:hope this helps.and dont forget a good resperator mine was about 20 bucks from lowes it worked but you still get a few fumes through it.

Talk to your PPG Jobber about a black pain called DP90. We used it to paint the frame of our hobbystocker and its TOUGH. Dad also used it on his 55 chevy frame. you can buff it too. The ammount of catalyst/activator you mix with it, the more or less shiny you can make it. My dads is pretty glossy. Its not the cheapest, but I can tell you its good stuff and you wont need a LOT of it. Dad painted his axle, A Arms Springs, Fame, Motor mounts, Alt. bracket etc. I think he bought enough to mix a sprayable gallon and had plenty left over

DP90 IS primer. Problem with it is, after a while it will begin to show staining from rain and stuff like that.

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back