Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Panhard bar replacement

dovehunter79,

If I'm reading this right, you have a single bracket standing up on the axle tube. This puts the bolt in a bending load versus two brackets and a double shear load. I know that a lot of people do run single brackets and it is OK as long as you have it gusseted and a big enough bolt. A 5/8 dia. bolt should be fine. Panhard bars take a lot of load when turning. They need to have good articulation in all axis at one end to prevent binding.

[/quote]

Yes, you were correct... Thank you for that explanation... I have to agree with Al on those welds

some people mount that bracket on the 3rd member on a 9" ford rear.. i actually like that as it tends to look a tad cleaner to me..

ive seen them on 10 and 12 boltsalso..

Ted Brown said:
Well I see a big no no there with the way you mounted that rear Panhard Rod... Both mounting bolts need to be square with each other, as things will for sure, be in a bind, with that one angled mount... Plus, now that also puts side pressure on a Heim Joint, another No No, so if both ends were square with other, there would not be any real amount of side stress...

Ted.

I should have clarified the bottom picture when I posted it.The rod end on the drivers side is strictly a tooling piece that I use to locate the bracket on the rearend housing. As you can see, the bracket is not completed as compared in the top picture. Once I locate the bracket and finish all welding, I replace the final panhard bar with one that has a non adjustable poly bushed end on the drivers side and a rodend bearing on the passengers side. By using a rodend at one end I get full articulation in the panhard bar as the rearend housing moves up and down throughout it's travel. Although not shown, the rodend did get a second bracket that put it in double shear. In fact, if you look closely you will see that all ends of the four bar links, both ends of the shocks and the panhard bar are mounted in double shear. Also note that I mounted the right side rodend bearing to a cross tube. This eliminates any deflection in the right frame rail caused by side loads from body roll or hard turns.

I realize that the preferred method of mounting a panhard bar is a straight link that is parallel to the axle centerline but sometimes this is not possible due to clearance issues. Although the poly bushed end is at an angle to the rear axle centerline there is no binding in this system through out its travel. In fact, if you look under a mid '60s Chevy ton truck with the factory trailing arm/coil spring rear suspension system you will find a fairly short panhard bar that intersects the axle housing at an angle much like the one shown in my pictures. Hope this clears up any questions you might have regarding why I built it as I did. If you have any further questions then please let me know. Thanks for bringing these points up.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back