Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Paradise Road

This is the 50th anniversary since the first release American Graffiti, and there will be movie theaters across the country showing it again.

True story: I witnessed a Paradise-Road-like grudge race in my teen years in St Petersburg, Florida. My neighbor had an Austin Healy with a Chevy 327 transplant. He did a lot of porting work on the cylinder heads and topped it with 2-4 bbl carburetors. He was always bragging about how quick it was, and he even let me drive it once to the local drive-in to impress my buddies as long as I promised not to race anybody. I thought I was king of the hill! Anyway, another guy – a friend of my neighbors – had a Chevy-powered MG-TD and the two of them used to jab at each other about who was the fastest. Well, one night they conspired to have a show down out near the beach where there was a new housing development under construction with new paved roads and no traffic. The MG won by a fender-length, but the grudge between the two of them continued. At least there was no roll-over crash like in the movie!

(not the actual cars)
Drag Healey.jpg Drag MG.jpg

When I had my bucket a friend had a Crown mid engine conversion small block in a Corvair. We never raced because we thought one of us would get hurt real bad!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back