Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

pcv

dustytrails

i have non pcv valve covers on my chevy 350,i have fabbed a pcv on the end of one cover by useing a brass fitting and a screw in pcv ,not sure if it working as it should,i get a little oil seepage around 2 intake bolts and around base of dist
th_P1000771.jpg
is there any way to check to see if its doing its job? or anyone have a better idea how to vent ,i had a leaking rear main seal and didnt have any oil seepage around aforementioned areas now with new rear main seal the problem has started and the first show of the season i got some bling
th_P1010310-Copy.jpg

nice bling...lol...the first of many i'd wager. you've truely worked wonders with that car...kudo's

Ron

Dusty

Are you sure the screw in pcv valve is turned the correct way?

There are 2 different threaded pcv valves for the Chevy that I am aware of( probably more). One screws into the base of the carb and the other screws into the crankcase vent.

I my experience, a pcv valve that is operating as it should will vibrate or buzz continuously at idle. You can feel it by simply putting your hand on the valve while the engine is running.

Also, do you have a vent for the crankcase? A pcv system doesn't just pull a vacuum on the engine. It needs a way to pull air in. You need a vent for wide open throttle, since the pcv isn't going to be able to pull all that WOT blowby out. I used an intake with an oil fill tube and a vented cap. It seems to work fine.

The valve that screws into the carb will be for about a 65 Chevy 283 with a 2 barrel. Sorry, I can't find the part number right now.

Mike

i have the screw in one for older corvetts that screwed into the oil fill tube i also hae an oil fill tube with a breather cap on intake but no breather on the valve covers

Sounds like what you have should work.

Unscrew the valve from the valve cover and check to see if you have strong suction. If it's working, it should pull hard.

If you have low manifold vacuum, it might cause problems.

Also, is this a high mile engine? Might have more blowby than the PCV can handle if it is.

Hotrod46 said:
Sounds like what you have should work.

Unscrew the valve from the valve cover and check to see if you have strong suction. If it's working, it should pull hard.

If you have low manifold vacuum, it might cause problems.

Also, is this a high mile engine? Might have more blowby than the PCV can handle if it is.

Yep....if its working....you'll feel a good vaccuum. If you got your vaccuum hose to your 1 valvecover, with the pcv valve.......the other one should be vented.
Now....if your venting thru your lifter valley......both covers should be vented.
The way I check is to get a friend that smokes........put a piece of cardboard on top of the valve cover to block the wind by the fan....and have my friend blow his cigarette smoke toward the beather.....if all is well......you'll see the smoke disappear into the crankcase breather.
Now....if you have a cam not pulling much vaccuum......you can run a small vaccuum pump to keep oil leaks at bay or run a header scavaging system..........if too much base pressure......well....we know what that means................but you have to have either 1 valvecover vented and other pulling vaccuum or lifter valley pulling vaccuum and both vented or there's gonna be some seepage somewhere........

Oh....I couldn't see all your engine....but a cool car!!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back