Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powerglide info

Corley

1) Does anyone know if a Turbo 350 torque converter can be used with an aluminum Powerglide?
2) Also, does anyone know if a Vega welded cooling fin converter can be used with a 67 impala aluminum PG? (In this case, I'd run it without the bottom converter cover to provide airflow.)

I need a PG converter, have a new turbo 350 converter, but might consider the Vega version if that would also take care of trans cooling. The Vega version has the advantage of helping raise stall speed. I understand that PGs tend to develope quite a bit of heat due to converter slippage from the gearing provided. This would be behind a 229 CI Chevy 90 degree V-6, so not a real powerhouse, and used in a 'T' bucket, so it's going to be a very light vehicle.

3) I also need a flex plate for this. Question: Will either the 153 or 168 tooth flex plate work with this combination?
4) Will a neutral balance V-8 flex plate work OK on the 229 V-6 (non - 400CI)?

Online research is quite confusing due to so many wrong answers, speculation, and uniformed responses, in some of the other forums. ("A buddy did so and so ...", "I THINK you can...", "I'm and expert and you definetly can hook a Buick dynaflo to a flatty Ford, it's a bolt up", etc.) You guys should know a lot about small block chevies, so give it a go. Any PowerGlide facts appreciated...
Corley

PS Why PG? I have a PG behind a stock 350 SBC in a '65 Jag Mark II, and it is a great combo, I like it better than when I had a turbo 350 in it. I think it works so well because this model Jag is not very heavy. It will pretty much leave tires at will up to about 30mph. Very drivable, so I'm thinking it might be a decent choice in the 'T' as well...

1. No the converters are unique.
2. No, it will not.
3. Is the block drilled for offset starter mounting bolts? If so, you can use either flexplate. If not, you would have to use an aftermarket race starter with a mounting block to be able to use the 168 tooth flexplate.
4. Yes, the 229 is internally balanced and use neutral-balance flexplates.

The 'Glide is certainly an option for you and it sounds as if you're having luck using one already. Something as light as a T isn't going to cause cooling problems, unless you were to get crazy with an extremely loose converter. In my personal (and usually not-so-humble :scream:) opinion, I would prefer the lower gear ratio of the TH350, even in a light-weight car. And quite frankly, I think this is the situation here - it all boils down to your personal preference.

Mike,
Thanks for all the good information, I just KNEW someone here would have the correct answers!
Corley

Mike,
Thanks for all the good information, I just KNEW someone here would have the correct answers!
Corley

Yes, Mike is 100% right....the PG's are a good trans., for something light like a bucket, I'm sure the PG would do fine.

Way back in the early 80's, I had a Pontiac firebird, the motor and trans were toasted, so I dropped in a RamAir 400 with a turbo 350 buttoned up behind it. Went down to Pepboys, got a vega converter, dropped it in...( I had to adapt it)...only lasted about 4 months...the torque from the 400 just hammered the fins apart. It was completely stock unit, a rebuilt race unit would've lasted a lot longer.

As Mike said, a high first turbo 350 would be hard to beat.

The weight of a T with any kinda motor thats gotta few horses shouldn't put a strain on anything, other than your tires and traction....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back