Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

project 23 T, rebuild it right

boostedzx3

Hello, I met some of you here on my introduction thread. I've heard that you all like pictures so I figure that I will post a few as I like to show the car off, who doesnt? Ive gotten some great advice here so far on ways to correct some of my steering issues and have found a nice set of shocks for my front suspension as well. My goal for next season is to make the car more fun to drive.

Some background on the T is this, the former owner built the car in the 80's and passed away a few years back. The car was passed down to his nephew who then decided to auction the car off on ebay. I had been looking for a T and wanted something unique, original and needed some minor work. I found it alright.

The good is that the car started, ran great and drove fine. That was about it. The bad was the car couldnt stay cool to save it's life, the interior was faded, the seat cushion was worthless. The steering is a mess, and the same can be said for the wiring job that only the person who built the car could understand and he's not alive.

So far i've taken care of the cooling issue by adding a 3 core aluminum radiator with a built in trans cooler and an electric fan. I have redyed the interior and recushioned the seat which now looks and feels much better. Ive replaced the cheap leaking transmission pan gasket with a real gasket that will probably hold up for 20 years. Then this winter I plan on tackling the steering, and front suspension hop issues.

Im 26 years old im learning as I go, though ive been working on my own cars for 10 years now. Ive bought all my own stuff as well as all the tools I use and I taught myself as no one surrounding me has much mechanical knowledge. I started out simple but have recently tackled engine swaps, transmission jobs and rear end replacements again all self taught. Its been a long road, ive screwed up here and there but in the end I enjoy it. So without further adue.... pictures.

O and specs, the car is a 440 6 pack chrysler from a 70' superbee with a 727 and manual valve body. The rear end is a 9" with a 3:73 ratio.

This is how it appeared last year before I had done anything to it.
IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

streetrod6.jpg

streetrod7.jpg

streetrod8.jpg

This was a under construction picture from spring, I had the new radiator in to be fitted up. I ended up having to fab up templates for new mounts on the radiator due to it being a bit taller and thicker. I got it back and made up my own lower rad hose all to find out that the oil filter would then be in the way. So I ended up ordering a oil filter relocation kit and everything ended up working out.
IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

and how it currently sits with the interior redyed and recushioned and the new radiator:
IMG_4820.jpg

Thanks for looking, any other ideas shoot them my way!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back