Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Quiet as possible exhaust

trogdor

I'd like to build my t-bucket to be as quiet as possible. Not that I don't think loud is cool... I do. But nothing annoys me more than my neighbor waking up the whole neighborhood with his straight pipe Harley. So I don't want to be that guy, I guess.

Does anyone have an example of adding a muffler or something similar? I really like the idea of exhaust cutouts, has anyone used them?

I like how lake-style headers have that extra output and flange on the end. I thought maybe I could do that and then pipe things to a muffler under the car (if there is room):
1708354211214.png
But I don't really like the look of those headers. I like the long tube side exhaust style much better. But none of them that I've seen have that extra flange on the end.

I'd like to build my t-bucket to be as quiet as possible. Not that I don't think loud is cool... I do. But nothing annoys me more than my neighbor waking up the whole neighborhood with his straight pipe Harley. So I don't want to be that guy, I guess.

Does anyone have an example of adding a muffler or something similar? I really like the idea of exhaust cutouts, has anyone used them?

I like how lake-style headers have that extra output and flange on the end. I thought maybe I could do that and then pipe things to a muffler under the car (if there is room):
View attachment 24835
But I don't really like the look of those headers. I like the long tube side exhaust style much better. But none of them that I've seen have that extra flange on the end.
You can always add the extra flange and block off plate.

View attachment 24835
On the other hand, a big block Chevy with uncapped headers might be the neighborly response!

On the other hand, a big block Chevy with uncapped headers might be the neighborly response!
That's clever! Oh I bet he'd be pissed...

I'd also need to install a sound system and blast Def Leppard like he does. It's actually impressive that he has good enough speakers on his bike that I can hear the music over the engine. I'm not even mad about that. But Def Leppard actually has a pretty extensive musical catalog. There is no need to exclusively play Pour Some Sugar on Me. That actually does irritate me. I mean try a b-side once in awhile.

They have those for people with airplanes.

I didn't like how loud my 454 was...so I trashed the little muffler baffles and used two 2" glass packs per side. I cut them up and made long, single mufflers from them. Welded them to the collectors of my sprint style headers and wrapped them in brushed stainless sheet. I welded the cut off tips of the original muffler setup to the ends for the right look and made hangers from some old lever shock arms to keep the weight off the headers. The 4 welds were ground and hidden with stainless band clamps, which also served as a mounting point for the rear hangers. Worked great! I liked the sound...and although it wasn't new car quiet, it was mellow and deep until you got on it.

Attachments

• 46665319_10156642883150115_1960389486697250816_o.jpg
    46665319_10156642883150115_1960389486697250816_o.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 46521400_10156642883015115_4160290736643768320_o.jpg
    46521400_10156642883015115_4160290736643768320_o.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 46519767_10156642880705115_4568888035122348032_n.jpg
    46519767_10156642880705115_4568888035122348032_n.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 19
I didn't like how loud my 454 was...so I trashed the little muffler baffles and used two 2" glass packs per side. I cut them up and made long, single mufflers from them. Welded them to the collectors of my sprint style headers and wrapped them in brushed stainless sheet. I welded the cut off tips of the original muffler setup to the ends for the right look and made hangers from some old lever shock arms to keep the weight off the headers. The 4 welds were ground and hidden with stainless band clamps, which also served as a mounting point for the rear hangers. Worked great! I liked the sound...and although it wasn't new car quiet, it was mellow and deep until you got on it.
Awesome ingenuity, resourcefulness and result! This is what hot rodding is all about, to me anyway!

I went a simpler route with mine. I used the short Speedway muffler inserts shoved into my collectors with a shorty turnout. No stress on the header welds, and not too noisy. Never had a noise complaint anyway . 🙄 But . . . it doesn't have the nice deep tone that Hackerbilt does either.

Attachments

• Driveway2.jpg
    Driveway2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Inserts.jpg
    Inserts.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Kickouts.jpg
    Kickouts.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 13
Most t buckets use headers like what Spanky is showings above in his post. Installing inserts is about all you can do. Depending on the amount of room with have, you could be different and run your exhaust conventionally out the rear. Using block hugger headers, you could run exhaust tubing underneath the body. You can then use more conventional mufflers. This will not only quiet the exhaust for your neighbors but for you too. Part 20 in Tbucketplans.com shows this on a 27‘ T.

Well, if anyone wants to know how a particular car sounds, go to utube, click on TBucket runs , find something pretty close to what you have, and then go from there. Once you get your exhaust system that fits correct and you like the way it works, then you can start fine tuning in on your sound....
I prefer things being heard lower in the register, cause its easier to hear. That high pitched crap gets to me after a while....its a lot easier to mask and muffle....

I'm currently looking to purchase some classic swoop style headers (Ford 302)...similar to Spanky's. Is there a preference on what brand to use (Speedway or Patriot headers)? Also, is it better to go with AHC or Stainless? If I went with Stainless headers, do they even sell stainless kickoff extension pipes to match the headers? I'm not seeing anything at Speedway or elsewhere. I guess you just buy the chrome or AHC extensions and mix it up with the stainless headers? Any insight or helpful input would be appreciated.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back