Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radiator hose

EX JUNK

Here is another easy project. Go to your friendly home improvement store and check out the plumbing section, the plated drain pipe section in particular. You can get straight or 90 degree bent pieces of plated brass drain pipe. With some regular pieces of radiator hose you can create a custom hose set up for your car.

Here are a couple of pictures of how I used it on my car to give you some ideas.

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

EX JUNK said:
Here is another easy project. Go to your friendly home improvement store and check out the plumbing section, the plated drain pipe section in particular. You can get straight or 90 degree bent pieces of plated brass drain pipe. With some regular pieces of radiator hose you can create a custom hose set up for your car.

Here are a couple of pictures of how I used it on my car to give you some ideas.

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg
As usual AWSOME.Great idea im going to Home Depot today and thats on my list.Thanks again.

Ex Junk you just keep comein up with really good ideas, I am going to have to do something like that on my car. I was going to make a peice out of exhaust pipe, I like your idea a lot better..:cool:..Francis

would really be a good idea to slightly flare or bead roll the ends of those. ESPECIALLY with the chrome tube and the rubber hose. You run a real good chance of blowing that tube out of the rubber hose and hose clamp when it gets hot. Had it happen to me and BELIEVE me it ain't fun.

I pulled into the gas station to get gas and my buddy pulls in behind to get gas too. I am standing there with my back to his filling my gas tank wearing a T shirt when I hear a POP !!!! And all of a sudden my back and all across the back of my bucket and windshield gets plastered with 215 degree dirty rusty water. YYEEEEOOOOUUUCCCHHHH !!!!!!!!!!! and a few other words. After a few minutes it stopped hurting but it still stung the rest of the day

He had a chrome Coolflex line pop out of the rubber connector on the top radiator tank. They HAVE been known to pop off. Especially the homemade ones similar to yours.

Just warning ya.

I have close to 10K on that setup with absolutely no problems. I think the reason is that I have plenty of pipe inside the hose. As a matter of fact, the radiator neck and the pipe are virtually touching and the piece of hose does not allow does not allow any movement with the 90 degree bend on the other end. Conversely, the 90 degree bend will not pull from that hose end because of the close fit of the pipe to the radiator outlet. Plus, the hose clamps are drawn up real tight.

Jim

Great idea! I some how see it being real hot if you forget and accidently touch the pipe, Ouch. The rubber hose would be a little more forgiving imho. My other concern would be with it blowing off too, or maybe the thin tubing will wear and crush in time. Clean and neat idea and install, though. :cool:

T4TWO said:
Great idea! I some how see it being real hot if you forget and accidently touch the pipe, Ouch. The rubber hose would be a little more forgiving imho. My other concern would be with it blowing off too, or maybe the thin tubing will wear and crush in time. Clean and neat idea and install, though. :cool:

Just think how long that it is in a house... many many many years go by before it has to be replaced or really even rusts... Some of the cheaper ones do have a thin wall... IMHO I think it would hold up fine for quite some time.

Lay the tube on a wood surface and from an angle use a dull centerpunch and dimple the pipe from the inside to the outside slightly. It cant be seen and with the hose clamp just behind about 6 dimples it wont come off.

junk im not gona use the word genius. But if u lived in oklahoma you name would be a house-hold word. Ha Ha
Does home-depot know you have built a car from their hardware section .

dovehunter79 said:
Just think how long that it is in a house... many many many years go by before it has to be replaced or really even rusts... Some of the cheaper ones do have a thin wall... IMHO I think it would hold up fine for quite some time.

True. I'm thinking that antifreeze and other petrolium products that may come in contact with it more frequently might be a bit more corrosive. Still a Kool and Neat install.

T4TWO said:
True. I'm thinking that antifreeze and other petrolium products that may come in contact with it more frequently might be a bit more corrosive. Still a Kool and Neat install.

nothing that "Stop Leak" couldnt fix!!!! LOL

Stop leak? That's a huge No No. But, that is up to you. LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back