Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear tire size

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sorry, Not sure where a tire question should be posted.

But I'm trying to find out what rear tire sizes are best. Or just look good :win:
I'm using a 15X8 rim.

I have a 265/50/R15 on right now and it seems small.
Maybe a 70 or 75 would be better. Or should I use a truck tire?

:hiding:

Sorry, Not sure where a tire question should be posted.

But I'm trying to find out what rear tire sizes are best. Or just look good :win:
I'm using a 15X8 rim.

I have a 265/50/R15 on right now and it seems small.
Maybe a 70 or 75 would be better. Or should I use a truck tire?

:hiding:

What size are you using on the front? The idea is to get a "rubber" rake with the front tires being proportionally smaller than the rears. I personally prefer to run 155 or 165/80x15 on the front on 4" rims with 285/70x15 on 10" rims on the rear. However, the 285/70x15" work equally well with 8" rims. Here is an example.

IMG_2715.jpg

Jim

When you say "too small" are you refering to the width or height or both? Pics wood be good. Looks are based off ones personal preferences. To each his own!

I would love to post pic. Haven't taken any yet. Just a frame, engine, trans, brakes, tires right now. I just got my bucket on monday. Haven't put it on yet. It raining here right now. I have no garage. The cars is outside covered.

A 275/60 or 285/70 may get you where you want it. Check the specs on these and then compare them to the size you have.

Here's a easy to use tire calculator. Just select your tire dimensions and click "compare tire size". It will give you all the specs for that size. You can also input your size and compare it to 4 different sizes you are thinking about.

here's the link: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

A 275/60 or 285/70 may get you where you want it. Check the specs on these and then compare them to the size you have.

A 275/60x15 has a cross sectional width of 10.87" and a height of 28.05" whereas a 285/70x15 has a cross sectional width of 11.22" and a height of 30.71". I used to run the 275/60's but changed to 285/70's to lower my RPM for highway cruising because I am running a 4.10 rear gear. In so doing, I lowered my cruising RPM @ 60 MPH by 285 RPM.

Jim

Rears are 31X16.50R15 ... fronts are 26X7.50R15 ... Hooisers all the way around.

IMG_4749t.jpg

Here is what it looks like coming down the street ... just after a burn out! ... hence the grins!

Just in case you've ever wondered where the term "big n' littles" came from.....

IMG_4749t.jpg

Sure looks wicked rollin' down the street.

Rears are 31X16.50R15 ... fronts are 26X7.50R15 ... Hooisers all the way around.

Looks great :egypt:
I have the same rears on 10" rims and 165's on the front :)

ArtinthePark53070.jpg

Hi
this is a tuff one.

Its always down to personal preference but like everything there is a certain set of rules (apparantly).
The way I settled on rear tyre size was to do some drawings starting with small and working up to seriously huge tyres. Some looked silly... like really silly.

Going on from there I took a load of digital images (in photoshop.. cut out the tryes and paste them in again, then transform them until they look right) and played around with the rear tyres untill they looked right.
As you can see from the pic I settled on 29'' OD rears and small fronts. I did origianlly buy 31'' rears but they were too big and I sold them on.

Also it depends on where you look at the car from. Rear shot make rears look bigger and front shot make rears look smaller.
take lots of pics and play aroud with a marker to get a head start. Sounds like a lot of fuss but tyre ratio is the KEY to a T. Might make that my new signature#!!!

gerry

Attachments

• rear summer 09.jpg
    rear summer 09.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 134
width, I don't mind using from a 265 to 285 or even a 12.50 to 16.50.
Its height I'm have the bigest problem with.

I went to a used tire place today. They a pair of 275/60/15s

I'm using a S10 rear end. For good cruising speeds would a 70 or 75 be better or a 60 fine?

width, I don't mind using from a 265 to 285 or even a 12.50 to 16.50.
Its height I'm have the bigest problem with.

I went to a used tire place today. They a pair of 275/60/15s

I'm using a S10 rear end. For good cruising speeds would a 70 or 75 be better or a 60 fine?

On my car, which is running an S10 rear with a 4:10 posi, when I changed from the 275/60x15 to 285/70x15 I dropped 285RPM @ 60MPH. I definitely like the looks of the 285 over the 275 as well.

Jim

Hi
this is a tuff one.

Its always down to personal preference but like everything there is a certain set of rules (apparantly).
The way I settled on rear tyre size was to do some drawings starting with small and working up to seriously huge tyres. Some looked silly... like really silly.

Going on from there I took a load of digital images (in photoshop.. cut out the tryes and paste them in again, then transform them until they look right) and played around with the rear tyres untill they looked right.
As you can see from the pic I settled on 29'' OD rears and small fronts. I did origianlly buy 31'' rears but they were too big and I sold them on.

Also it depends on where you look at the car from. Rear shot make rears look bigger and front shot make rears look smaller.
take lots of pics and play aroud with a marker to get a head start. Sounds like a lot of fuss but tyre ratio is the KEY to a T. Might make that my new signature#!!!

gerry

That is a wild setup on that differential. Is that a corvette rearend?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back