Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Kick up height on a frame with a model a rear crossmember

Hey all,

I'm building my frame. I have 3/16 x 2 x 3 tube. I'm panning on using an original Model a rear crossmember, Speedway medium spring along with an s10 rear. I'd like to basically copy a Speedway Tribute T frame, except mine will be thicker and longer (extended body). Does anybody know the kick-up height on those frames or have a good estimate on what would be workable?

I want to maximize interior space (I'm big) while being as low as possible, so I'm thinking the pinion should be on the same plane as the frame rails as to not have the driveshaft intruding on the interior.

Thanks!

Looking at an old set of Total Performance (no longer in business) plans, they show the kickup length as 7" with a 30 degree angle from vertical. This would make the height from the top of the frame rail to the top of the rail aft of the kickup a skosh over 6". Hope that helps.

What body will you use? Big guys need a big body, like the stretch CCR or RPMs Big Boy. I'm 6' (used to be 6'-1", but getting old), 270# and have the seats in my stretch CCR almost on the floor.
side view.jpg

What body will you use? Big guys need a big body, like the stretch CCR or RPMs Big Boy. I'm 6' (used to be 6'-1", but getting old), 270# and have the seats in my stretch CCR almost on the floor.
View attachment 23382
I have on original steel '25 roadster body that has been stretched about 8 inches, so it's similar in dimension to the stretch bodies from CCR or RPM. I've been debating about seat height as well. I have an original steel seat riser, which is about 8 inches high. It would look cool, but maybe it's too high for a big dude in a little car. I don't think I'll channel the body to maximize room, although it would look better for sure.

The front of the seat doesn’t matter as much as the back. With the back as low as you can get it you will sit lower. Channeling the body takes away room but looks better in my opinion. In an effort to get as low as possible I made my frame drop 3” from the firewall to the kick up to make more room.

Look under thread-- frames and chassis and you might get an answer to the kickup.
Call S/W and ask their tech support would be the easiest.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back