Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Recent New Member

Cyclone

Thanks again for the membership, I'm looking forward to connecting and learning everything I can about the T's. I've had many old Fords, presently own a 1950 Tudor (rodded) that I built and a 1965 Comet Caliente. I also enjoy riding my motorcycle but as I'm getting older I'm considering other options and that brings me to one reason why I decided to purchase a 1923 glass T. It's an older build, the last owner felt it was built in 1972. It's running a 1969 vintage strong little 340 ci with a 727 auto. Drum brakes all around, an early '56 - 62 GM 8.2" diff. and is a beast to drive. Hard to steer and hard to stop but it'll snap your neck when it hooks up. Now that I've driven it some I know it's not up to my standards for a car I'd like to put some miles on so will be taking it down to the frame and rebuilding it using as much of the original pieces as possible. It's Canada after all, not much left of the budget after I pay the heat bill for 9 months of the year! This is the first T that I've owned and I love it. It's such a blast and I can't wait until it's dependable and most importantly comfortable to drive for long distances so I can head south. I want to add a top and would like at least one door to open for easier access for my girl and I. Appreciate any ideas, recommendations, etc from the members/pros as I prepare to put the car on stands for disassembly.

Welcome from Oklahoma! :) "T's" are sweet lil rides and you'll have a ball both working on it and driving it. :thumbsup:

And welcome from St Louis. Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug like the rest of us. Driving my T is like a drug. I really miss those days when I can't drive it. One thing: don't want to burst your bubble, but most of these cars are never going to give you a comfy ride. There are some that get pretty close to it - independent front suspension and Jag rear - but most ride like a buckboard. Still . . . I don't care; such a blast! :D:thumbsup:

Welcome aboard from the nearly always warm & sunny Caribbean, where I have never seen a house with heat . . . . . :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Much appreciated. I've been to all those states except Texas but it's on my list! Spent some time in St. Louis too Spanky, my brother used to live there in the 80's. The Caribbean I swam in off the east coast of Panama and yes it was warm. You're spoiled for sure Island Girl!
So I see a number of T's with a soft top but do not have opening door(s). Wouldn't this make it difficult to get in and out? Another question I have is my windshield supports are right up against the outline for the door.
This seems like it could pose a major problem if I were to add opening doors. Are there other options out there for windshield mounts? Should I keep it straight up and down or is there an option to slant it rearward slightly?
I also need to go to disc brakes on the front at least but I see there are kits available. What about steering boxes because I need to upgrade mine and plan on putting in a tilt column. I have to figure out how to put some pics on so you have a better idea of what I have presently so will do that soon, as soon as Spanky helps me that is.

You are slow responding, but the Quality of the response is outstanding ! :notworthy:

I removed the body lines for the doors and made it smooth, moving the door openings rearward a bit to deal with the windshield post issue. Others have just relocated the front door lines.

Haha, yes I've been away for a while Indy. Hmm, I never thought of removing the body lines or moving them. Good suggestions and something to think about. have to see a car without them.
I've been trying to decide if I should attend the Nationals in Tennessee but would prefer if there was a meet closer, somewhere in the northwest or even Colorado. Need to check out as many T's as possible for ideas on what works and what doesn't.

There may be a run in Arizona & South Dakota with a couple in Texas. All will be announced in the next month or two stay tuned.

I have to figure out how to put some pics on so you have a better idea of what I have presently so will do that soon, as soon as Spanky helps me that is.

Cyclone, I have no magical powers when it comes to posting pictures on this site; I'm not one of the moderators or anything, just a frequent flier. However, in a pinch, I can "relay" any photos you want to post if you e-mail them to me at:
billpac4u@gmail.com

Well folks, further investigation indicates that when someone installed the wood dash (which looks good) they mounted the windshield supports on the face which move them rearward. I'm going to modify the ends of the dash so I can move the mounts forward and may tip the windshield back slightly as well. This should provide enough real estate to cut a door opening (passenger side only) to maintain some body structure. As much as I'd like to go with hidden hinges I think I may have to go with the gate hinges Speedway offers for the '23. Maybe powder coat them so they stand up a little better. Once the door is in I'm tackling a roof next and then upholstery.
Thanks for all your replies, looking forward to any feedback you can provide on a roof that won't blow off at highway speeds and your thoughts on tipping the windshield back slightly.

and your thoughts on tipping the windshield back slightly.
Be careful how much you lean the windshield back. It tends to block getting in thru the door. I
bought the 30° posts and had to modify them to 15° so the wife could get in using the door.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back