Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Redoing the dash board

LarryH

I'm redoing my dash board and i'm trying to figure out the gauge lay out. I'll be using VDO Cockpit series gauges, speedo, tack, volt, temp, oil pressure and gas gauges.

I still haven't decided if i'm going with a new 'glass dash or make one from a flat piece of metal. I had thought about just cutting the center out of my dash (wood) and makeing a new panel for the gauges. Problem is it had a stereo in the dash so there wouldn't be much of the wood left. I'll probably just replace the entire dash.

I need pics of dash boards to help with figuring out the gauge lay out.

I'm really happy with my re-done panel. Had the '32 style before with the gauges all clumped together in the oval in the center. Changed out the dash to a CCR and arrayed the gauges evenly across.

DashCarrier007.jpg

Lee, I love that dash. My car will be orange and white (30's Harley Davidson colors) The orange dash is pretty and the layout is great.

Lee, I love that dash. My car will be orange and white (30's Harley Davidson colors) The orange dash is pretty and the layout is great.

Hi
Why not go the simple way and hide the other somewhere else. Like popping up from the seat centre when you trun on the ignition
Gerry

dash-ist-mould-with-speedo-.jpg

I haven't decided if i want that style of dash or a flat dash. I'm kind of leaning towards a flat dash. I don't know if i want the speedo and tack on the far left with the other gauges on the right or a lay out like yours. Since i have a vertical steering column i kind of like your lay out.

DashCarrier007.jpg

I didn't have any choice about where to put the tach and speedo. They wouldn't fit anywhere else as the bezels wouldn't clear the inside radius of the lip that runs all the way around the dash. I like them centered anyway. To me it seems more balanced. I did an AutoCAD scale drawing of the panel and tried different arrangements (spacing) of the gauges until I got what I thought looked good. Some of you may remember I posted the drawing and asked for opinions about the spacing. Below is what I ended up with. I then printed out the drawing full size, taped it to the actual panel and used it to precisely locate the center point of the gauges to do the cut-outs.

Attachments

• CCR panel.jpg
    CCR panel.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 52
Hi fellas, you both have forgotten the most important gauge... Vacuum, with a 1/4" line to it.. this gauge will tell you just what is happening with your engine... now Lee you can change your Boost gauge to a combo Boost/Vac. then you will have it all Ride safe :hoist: Sure looks great!!

Now Lee you can change your Boost gauge to a combo Boost/Vac. then you will have it all Ride safe :hoist: Sure looks great!!
Ted, thanks for the advice, but this time I'm a step ahead of you... my gauge IS the combo boost/vac, I just didn't bother noting that on the drawing. And you're right, this gauge tells me a lot about what's going on with my motor. It's even more interesting when I hook up a vacuum test gauge at the base of the carbs. Between the two, I've been amazed at what goes on with a blown motor during normal driving... more vacuum than I expected.

Ted, thanks for the advice, but this time I'm a step ahead of you... my gauge IS the combo boost/vac, I just didn't bother noting that on the drawing. And you're right, this gauge tells me a lot about what's going on with my motor. It's even more interesting when I hook up a vacuum test gauge at the base of the carbs. Between the two, I've been amazed at what goes on with a blown motor during normal driving... more vacuum than I expected.

Lee, you are sooo correct about using two Vac. gauges, one to the chamber just under the carbs to see just what the carbs are reading and thinking of what to do as far as how much fuel to give out or hold back, and just how much Vac or boost you have at normal cruising speeds... Pretty interesting to say the least... almost forgot as this is very important, by using a large 1/4" ID line to the gauge, it reads completely different... than a stock supplied 1/16 ID line..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back