Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Road Trip!!!!

Hotrod46

Well, I finally got to make a road trip in the T!!!

If youve been following my build thread, you know that I was thrashing hard to get the car finished for a couple of March car shows.

Mother Nature had other ideas though. The Mississippi Street Rod Association show (in Jackson, MS) was on March 13-16, but the weather was downright nasty. Temps around 40 on Friday and a steady cold rain (that bordered on flash floods at times) all weekend. I was pretty down about not getting to take the car after all the long hours I had put in, but didnt want to take a chance on hydroplaning and wrecking on my first road trip. One couple spun their Pro-street truck on I55, but luckily didnt wreck or get hurt.

We did go in my 46 and had a good time, but I sure wanted to take my T.

The next weekend was a lot better. This show was in Jackson, too. It was a one day show (on Saturday) to benefit the Boy Scouts. It was pretty cold when we left at 7:00 AM, but after about 60 miles the sun was starting to warm things up.

By the time we made it to the show (a little over 100 miles) , the sun was bright and the temp was in the 70s.

It was a good show with over 100 very nice cars of all types.

The T seemed to be a hit with everyone that looked at it. I answered a lot of questions and enjoyed the conversations. We won a Producers Pick Trophy. My wife had to hold it in her lap on the way home.
IMG_1541.jpg

hiway.jpg

101_0322.jpg

101_0323.jpg

We decided to go home on the Natchez Trace Parkway and it was a beautiful ride!!! The Trace is a good 2 lane road that wanders through some very scenic woodland with lots of historic and nature stops along the way.
By the time we made it home, we had put about 230 miles on the car and it did great. Everything works like it should and I havent noticed any bad habits. There are a couple of minor tweaks I want to make, but overall it drives like I think it should.
It was a fantastic day!!!!
101_0327.jpg

101_0336.jpg

101_0339.jpg

101_0347.jpg

T
101_0348.jpg

These last 2 shots were in Port Gibson, MS. We detoured through there for a gas stop.

Mike

Man i cant wait congrats on the trip.

Mike, congrats on your maiden voyage. If I may be so bold, how tall are you and the misses, and what are your inseam measurements? Also, how many inches off the floor are you. I'm going down to CCR to look at frame kits and bodies (you know, just to look).

I was at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake Ca this Friday and painted on the inside of the deck lid of a really nice 27T was the saying, " If not now, when? "

I'm being pulled and I think the time is now. John.

man ... that's one great lookin "T" Mike!!!!!!! are ya still grinnin??

Ron

The more "miles", the more "smiles".

Jim

The T looks awesome!!
I dont care what people say, life and the road look a little different in a t bucket and its for the better, you miss so much in a regular car..I feel much more a part of my surroundings when cruisin in my T bucket.

Man that's a sweet hot rod!

Sweet ride . How did the front shocks did the proportion of the longer lever work fine.There are so many discussions about shock mounting Hydraulic versus friction . Just wondering how your worked.

Yeah, we had a great time! I'm looking forward to putting some more miles on it.

We've had something of a mini monsoon season around here lately, but I'm still driving it when I can. 500 miles so far.

One Finger John - I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam. 240 portly pounds.:welcome: This body isn't stretched, but it does have the rear portion of the bucket cut out. This lets the the seats get a little lower and farther back. Nothing like a stretched body, though.

Al - That's my favorite too!

Great ride there 46! I am jealous of all you guys getting to take rides in your T's. All I have been able to do is look at my T sitting in the garage, under it's cover, on the way out in the morning to the office. Then, on the way back in from the office late at night. Just gotta love tax season...LOL. Anyway, I will stop complaining because it will not be long until the silver bullet is out in the sunshine again. I even have new shinny parts to put on still.

The more you drive and debug, the more you will want to go... Pray for great weather, as these are not fun rain cars, I have been caught out in a few rain storms over the years, if you can keep rolling over say 55 it just blows the rain ahead and around you, well ME... but slow down and it is like a water fall :( Your T looks great, enjoy it, as you say, life is short, now it's sweeter :)

haha....i'm remembering going from one overpass to the next one and the war deptment b!tchin about open cars!!! ahh ... the life of a true bucketeer!!!!

Ron

Ted Brown said:
The more you drive and debug, the more you will want to go... Pray for great weather, as these are not fun rain cars, I have been caught out in a few rain storms over the years, if you can keep rolling over say 55 it just blows the rain ahead and around you, well ME... but slow down and it is like a water fall :( Your T looks great, enjoy it, as you say, life is short, now it's sweeter :)
One thing there Ted is us guys with slant back winshields or the guys with there head above the glass. When its raining and you go faster its like machine gun bullets hitting you in the face.Happened to me a couple times and it aint fun.Slow down you get real wet go fast and you get machine gunned.

I can second that, Rick!!!

Rick said:
One thing there Ted is us guys with slant back winshields or the guys with there head above the glass. When its raining and you go faster its like machine gun bullets hitting you in the face.Happened to me a couple times and it aint fun.Slow down you get real wet go fast and you get machine gunned.

Just wait until you hit a giant grass hopper. :eek:

I rode a motorcycle as my only form of transportation for years. Those suckers hurt!

David

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back