Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

SHIFTER

76 harley

I'm running a chevy 350 with a 350 trans. Can you guys tell me what kind of shifter you are using? Or do you guys know if there is a shifter I can just get out of a junk car and use?? Thanks

Lokar next to tallest. Works good but will drop into second gear if you hit a big dip.

I used a cable shifter out of a mid 80's camaro. The cable shifter allows you to mount the shifter where it works best for you and your car. I like the tall shifters too, so i extended it and found a new flex cable to run the length of the Swan's neck.

Now i push down on the shifter ball (in my case a pistol handle) and shift to whichever gear i want, and it hasn't jump gear on me yet.

I'm going to use a cutdown B&M Quicksilver on this new car. Had a spare in the back room. Have already cut it down in height, and is at the platers as we speak, black chrome of course....

Using one out of a 70's era Mustang, allows to be placed where it is the most comfortable as the tranny is connected with a rod in this case has an adjustable slide to ensure you ar in the gear it says on the indicator, the built in detents may sure it stays in gear

I wish someone (RPM) would reproduce the Total Performance shifter. I've had a Lokar and even tried a B&M, but nothing beats Totals shifter for ease of installation and operating. Plus, it's low to the floor so you don't have a "Rat Fink" shifter sticking up in the way.

I wouldn't trade my column shifter for anything! Clean floor, out of the way, no chance of knocking it out of gear. I cut mine down, rethreaded it, and bent it up for knee room. It looks great with a small 8-ball knob and it WORKS!

I have a used Mustang or Pinto floor shifter, got out of junk yard, not many miles on junk yard shifter. Seems real tight.... paid like $20.00 for it. Works great.

What ever kind you get ,be sure to have a nutral switch, I talked to a guy in Kansas City that stood beside his car to start it and it was in drive.and it started right up, the tire skinned him from the hip to the ankle ,very painful & all black & blue .His wife run & got the car shut off. I come home & ordered a nutral switch the next day , mine will only start in drive.

What ever kind you get ,be sure to have a nutral switch, I talked to a guy in Kansas City that stood beside his car to start it and it was in drive.and it started right up, the tire skinned him from the hip to the ankle ,very painful & all black & blue .His wife run & got the car shut off. I come home & ordered a nutral switch the next day , mine will only start in drive.
I did the exact same dumb thing a month ago:
back.JPG

...I was lucky, the bucket wanted to climb over me, but I was squashed against the house, so got out with lots of cuts and bruises, but nothing broken.

If you would like an electric shifter, check my project http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/big-redo-of-the-old-bucket.13677/page-4 and let me know.

IMHO it would be much better if the starter only worked in "P" and maybe "N". Every car we get in shop, first thing tested is the start switch only works in P and N, if not take it away now or pay us to fix it. If it will start in gear it's an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back